Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the official Porsche Press Release (Nov 20, 2013):

"The body is manufactured completely from aluminium, leading to a reduction in weight and therefore contributing to efficiency and dynamism."

If so, then most of the weight, approx. 2,000kg worth, must be because of the Q5 chassis. If so, then this is one great handling vehicle as most of the mass is closer to the ground (low centre of gravity), while the upper body is made of lightweight aluminum. No wonder Porsche insists it's a sports car!

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
More:

Importantly, the Macan also features materials unique to its own production, including high- and super-high strength lightweight steel in the body and doors, while the bonnet and tailgate are made from aluminium.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More:

Importantly, the Macan also features materials unique to its own production, including high- and super-high strength lightweight steel in the body and doors, while the bonnet and tailgate are made from aluminium.
I think high- and super-high strength lightweight steel in the body and doors refers to the reinforcement welded-in panels.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Looks to me like conflicting statements.

I wonder if someone made a mistake when writing up something. I doubt the roof and pillars and basic unit body above the floor pan are aluminum. Everything I've ever read has said the hood and rear hatch are aluminum. I suppose it might be that the outer panels on the doors could be aluminum, while the rest of the doors might be steel. Personally I don't think that would qualify it for "All Aluminum Body". I think of all aluminum body when I think of an Audi A8.

Anyway, thanks for spotting this in the press release. I guess we shall see when some full blown tests begin appearing in the magazines. My bet is for aluminum hood and rear hatch, and maybe outer door panels at the most.

The specs I have seen show the Macan to be 242 pounds lighter than the Audi Q5. It may be that's achieved with some aluminum pieces as well as some lighter (thinner and stronger?) steel in other places.

Anyway, nice catch.

Gordon

·
Registered
972 Posts
The luggage compartment lid, the bonnet and the wings are made of aluminium.

The rest of the body is made from a variety of different steels:
- high-strength micro-alloyed steel
- multi-phase steel
- deep-drawn steel
- boron-alloyed steel

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks to me like conflicting statements.

I wonder if someone made a mistake when writing up something. I doubt the roof and pillars and basic unit body above the floor pan are aluminum. Everything I've ever read has said the hood and rear hatch are aluminum. I suppose it might be that the outer panels on the doors could be aluminum, while the rest of the doors might be steel. Personally I don't think that would qualify it for "All Aluminum Body". I think of all aluminum body when I think of an Audi A8.

Anyway, thanks for spotting this in the press release. I guess we shall see when some full blown tests begin appearing in the magazines. My bet is for aluminum hood and rear hatch, and maybe outer door panels at the most.

The specs I have seen show the Macan to be 242 pounds lighter than the Audi Q5. It may be that's achieved with some aluminum pieces as well as some lighter (thinner and stronger?) steel in other places.

Anyway, nice catch.

Gordon
Yes, Porsche needs to clear up a couple of things, for sure. We'll have to wait and see the body/chassis cut-out illustration in the Macan model book when it is finally published, similar to other model books that provide a clear visual display of the materials used in colour-coded illustrations.

In the meantime, the same press release makes another reference to specific aluminum use (Chassis section): "The consistent lightweight construction philosophy embodied by the aluminium axles and chassis components contributes to driving dynamics and comfort."

·
Registered
972 Posts
We'll have to wait and see the body/chassis cut-out illustration in the Macan model book when it is finally published
Here you go

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow. Great info.

Sure doesn't look like an "all aluminum body" to me. Looks like hood and rear hatch as has been known for a while. And, as posted above, aluminum running gear, which was reported quite a while back when were still in "spy photo" phase.

Gordon

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here you go
Hey chylld, great job digging up and posting the body pic. Thanks. Is the Macan book out now?
I showed the illustration to my metallurgical professor and he pointed out that those exotic steels are lightweight high/super-strength, more expensive to manufacture than aluminum. He's pretty sure the Macan's body is an outstanding shell in terms of safety and strength and carte blanche all-around use of aluminum only could have made it less so. Looks like Porsche did it right already.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.