Votes: 2 14.3%
  • An African or European Swallow

Votes: 3 21.4%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking down the road here. I currently have Lexus ES300h lease that can sold for a profit end of '21 or '22. It all depends on timing and what's in the market. We also have a '15 4Runner Limited that is almost paid off. We'll be keeping the 4Runner until the doors fall off.

Driving ..... I like driving a car. I like a car to drive well and put a smile on my face. I'll not looking for a sports car. A Macan is not a 911 and I don't want it to be. Personally I don't care about the 0-60 time. 6-ish seconds from a stop to highway speed is more than enough for any real world driving.

Lifestyle needs, and why the ES is going away, are pointing to a small-ish SUV. We don't need something the size of another 4Runner. We need something that can handle gear for skiing, mountain biking and our dogs. Skiing is in Colorado/Denver with a roof box or gear in the car and good in the snow. Also I don't want be that guy stuck in the ski lot with a cool looking car. Mountain biking requires a hitch rack (1up 2-3 bikes) for a 2" receiver and room for bike bags in the car. Ground clearance here is important. I've bottom out my ES is several trailhead parking lots. I ride in Denver, Crested Butte and Fruita. We have 2 large dogs (Lab and Coonhound/Bloodhound) and will have some combo going forward.

Off-road needs ... yes I'll take a 60k SUV off-road. Various trail heads don't always have a paved lot. I'm not looking for anything crazy. I had a lifted Wrangler, been there and done that. It has to handle rough fire roads, some rocks and accents/decent. On a scale of 1-10, I foresee nothing more then a 3+ or similar to some online videos show (not the cheesy off-road coarse tests).

The Macan and XC60 T6 are very similar in size. The XC60 has a little more trunk space due to the roof line being not swooping downward. I've driven a XC T5 and it was nice. The motor was not what I was looking for so that's not a good comparison. The fit/finish in the XC60 was very Swedish. I kind of felt like modern art at some angles. It was minimalist and functional all at the same time. I've sat in, but not driven, a Macan Base. It was just as nice in a different way. The Macan was very driver focused and has lots of buttons for fast direct access to different features. I did feel the Macan had a few more plastic bits than the XC60. Not sure this is 'bad', however is surprising at the Macan price point.

A Macan Base and XC60 both come in around 62k-ish. The XC60 T6 does have better tech, an air suspension (increasing off-road clearance) and more powerful engine. I tried to spec the Macan with the air suspension, but for the life of me I can't find it in the 27 page list of options. I have social issues and some security issues with Volvo now being Chinese owned. I'm not really interested in the XC60T8 after reading about lack of driving refinement and gas/electric hand off. Looking long term and EV Macan is very attractive to me, however range and cost may be an issue.

I'm leaning towards owning over leasing my next car. The constant car payments is getting old. I've seen a lot of comments around Porsche CPO and that is 'most affordable' when you have time on to wait for the right car. What are people's experience here? I've used an autobroker, in Denver, for the past 15 years. Do people have experiences with Porsche and auto brokers?

Money is a factor, however not the only one. I'm cheap, but will spend money were it makes sense. I didn't get to a point where I can afford a Porsche without a lot of hard work. I've read about the maintenance issues with Porsche, and how to mitigate some of the costs.

The staggered tire on Porsches do give me a little worry. It really cuts down the tire options. I read some about people running snow tires in a squared fashion. I'm NOT looking to debate staggered vs square, but for average people that know how to drive without all the traction aids is squaring an option?

I'm attaching builds of both cars for those that are really bored ... haha.

I would love to hear about people's experience with the Macan and XC60 T6. If people have done the same comparisons or have other comparisons that would apply, please share your processes. I'm not h3ll bent only these two options, but that is were I'm leaning.

Thanks all for taking the time to read and give any input.

@TheRas900

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
@gundrted Great post and questions! For background, I test drove the Volvo XC40, Macan S, Macan GTS, Macan Turbo and ended up with a Macan GTS CPO.

The Volvos seem really great for the money - and probably a great car for most people. It certainly did not put a smile on my face the way the Macans did. I'd say just spend as much time as possible test driving them back to back and trying out all of the infotainment, options, settings and get a sense of the ergonomics. Volvo seems better with Android Auto (although I haven't tested this as I use an iPhone). I almost wish I tried out the XC60 but it felt just bigger than I need.

As for "off roading" and the air suspension, these all have decent ground clearance and since you have the 4runner for real off roading I wouldn't worry about it. For me, the air suspension had the benefit of being able to easily lower the car while having better overall handling plus improved comfort on bumpy roads. If you're not worried about pushing the limits of the car and/or have decent roads where you are the Macan S with traditional suspension is probably fine. I've driven a lowered Evo X off-road multiple times and it managed, but thank god I had a strong under panel (which I ended up shattering to pieces eventually). I also took a Mustang GT off road through the deserts in Utah (photo attached lol).

I'd also compare all the options and prices. Options on the Macan can add up quick (LED lights, PTV, LCA, 18 way seats etc).

I haven't driven the base Macan since I knew it wouldn't have the performance I was looking for but would be really curious to hear what owners here think about it.

All in all, the Volvo seems like a better deal, with decent performance and reasonably priced options. As for re-sale value I can't really say but it seems that the Macan GTS has been holding value better than the base and S due to being in limited supply. Sounds like you have a lot of time to decide, so you could probably get a good deal on a 2019 CPO Macan with the new PCM next year.

Good luck, and happy to answer any more questions!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 base Macan coming from an IS 350c. The Porsche is significantly more robust than the Lexus. Based on your criteria, in my opinion you absolutely have to spec the air suspension. This will allow you to adjust the ride height with the push of a button. Look up a YouTube video by a Swede named Janko Lind. He goes over the 2019 face lift base and does some off roading in snow. Simply amazing. It may be difficult to find a CPO base with air suspension though. It would be worth your time, as the 2021 model does not offer it as an option on the base model. Fortunately, you have time to look. The 2.0 engine is enough for my wife and me, although it really performs better when in the “Sport” mode. I think you will find the Macan base to your liking. Sorry, but I have no experience with Volvo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very good points on resale down the road. While I am planning on keeping the car, its good to know there is value in it. I as shocked when I went to sell my 10 year old wrangler with 115k miles and got almost $15k. I thought my broker was pulling my leg.

I go back and forth with the air suspension. It would be great off-road, but that is not an every weekend thing. The down side is if i bottom out. Then I know the repair will be more the air suspension would have been. I do wonder about the longterm dependability of the system. I know in some SUVs the air suspension drops the car when parked for easier entry/exit. Does the Macan do that?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I believe it CAN be lowered, but I don’t think it will do this automatically. Maybe it can be programmed but IDK. My reason for recommending air suspension is so you can RAISE the vehicle for off-road use, so you wouldn't bottom out. Also, it gives the best ride quality. There is, in addition, a button in the trunk that will lower the back end for easier loading, or entry for your animals. While repairs to this system can be expensive, there is not a lot of history with the Macan as compared to other vehicles. If you buy a newer car, the CPO can mean up to six years of unlimited miles coverage.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My wife had a '19 XC 60 remarkably similar to your build, with the exception of T5 motor vs your spec T6. I also have a '18 Macan S, with many similar options to your Porsche build. Ironically enough, we also have a '16 ES350 as a beater car. Both the Porsche and Volvo are fantastic automobiles, will feel like nice upgrades from the Lexus, and have their own strengths. The Volvo will feel more open and the back seat and cargo area feel much bigger than the specs indicate. The Volvo will also feel quicker off the line than the Porsche. I have the older PCM, so hopefully the new one is much better. That said, the Volvo tech is fantastic and probably still better than the '19+ Macan. As you noted, the Volvo interior is a wonderful place to spend time and feels more premium than the Porsche. Your cost to own for the first three years will be significantly less on the Volvo, with better fuel economy, cheaper insurance and included services.

Despite that, I selected a new Macan S on the poll above and my family just made this choice when we downsized our fleet due to less driving during COVID. The Macan feels special every time you turn the key, particularly in the S. The steering is worlds better. Additionally, I think the Porsche will command much more on resale and go through your expected length of ownership with fewer issues. I would buy new and add a Fidelity extended warranty from Troy if you are worried. You are looking for some specific options that will require sacrifice or amazing luck in CPO, and you will have a warranty for longer with a new model. I also think the Macan might be a better pairing with your 4-Runner.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to reach out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2020 Macan base, no experience with the XC60, but owned 2014 Mercedes GLK and 2018 GLC which are fine SUV's. My requirements are also fun to drive with excellent handling, good in snow with adequate ground clearance, and comfortable with some luxury features. After a few months, I like the Macan better than both Mercedes, which are more family oriented than sporty. The Macan has much better handling, can take curves faster, more responsive steering and tranny. The driver's seating has a bit more room than Mercedes, more wiggle room for my 6'3" frame. The seats are softer than the MB-Tex. The Macan is deceptively a little quicker than Mercedes, probably from the PDK. Porsche is conservative on acceleration stats, and some are getting 0-60 in 5.9 with the base, not that it matters but it has more than adequate acceleration for a daily driver. If the XC60 is faster it is not by much, and the base Macan may have more low-end torque for DD. The computer says I am getting 23.9 MPG, after some spirited driving in town and freeway. It is not my sports car and I expect to get a Cayman.

The Macan is still great fun to drive, much more than the stodgy Mercedes. I don't find the usable floor space storage in back any less than Mercedes, although the stats don't reflect this. My 6'3" son and 6'0" daughter have been in the backseat, wife in front, a little tight but it works for infrequent outings.

You should be able to negotiate a lower price on a base Macan, I got 3% off from an AutoNation dealer, others have got better discounts.

edit - I don't like air suspension and had trouble in the past, don't think it is needed on the base.

Here is the Macan in the Cascade mountains at an old mining town:

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife had a '19 XC 60 remarkably similar to your build, with the exception of T5 motor vs your spec T6. I also have a '18 Macan S, with many similar options to your Porsche build. Ironically enough, we also have a '16 ES350 as a beater car. Both the Porsche and Volvo are fantastic automobiles, will feel like nice upgrades from the Lexus, and have their own strengths. The Volvo will feel more open and the back seat and cargo area feel much bigger than the specs indicate. The Volvo will also feel quicker off the line than the Porsche. I have the older PCM, so hopefully the new one is much better. That said, the Volvo tech is fantastic and probably still better than the '19+ Macan. As you noted, the Volvo interior is a wonderful place to spend time and feels more premium than the Porsche. Your cost to own for the first three years will be significantly less on the Volvo, with better fuel economy, cheaper insurance and included services.

Despite that, I selected a new Macan S on the poll above and my family just made this choice when we downsized our fleet due to less driving during COVID. The Macan feels special every time you turn the key, particularly in the S. The steering is worlds better. Additionally, I think the Porsche will command much more on resale and go through your expected length of ownership with fewer issues. I would buy new and add a Fidelity extended warranty from Troy if you are worried. You are looking for some specific options that will require sacrifice or amazing luck in CPO, and you will have a warranty for longer with a new model. I also think the Macan might be a better pairing with your 4-Runner.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to reach out.
Thanks for the direct comparison. It sounds like at the end of the day the Macan just made you happier.

Did you have any warranty issues with the XC60?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2020 Macan base, no experience with the XC60, but owned 2014 Mercedes GLK and 2018 GLC which are fine SUV's. My requirements are also fun to drive with excellent handling, good in snow with adequate ground clearance, and comfortable with some luxury features. After a few months, I like the Macan better than both Mercedes, which are more family oriented than sporty. The Macan has much better handling, can take curves faster, more responsive steering and tranny. The driver's seating has a bit more room than Mercedes, more wiggle room for my 6'3" frame. The seats are softer than the MB-Tex. The Macan is deceptively a little quicker than Mercedes, probably from the PDK. Porsche is conservative on acceleration stats, and some are getting 0-60 in 5.9 with the base, not that it matters but it has more than adequate acceleration for a daily driver. If the XC60 is faster it is not by much, and the base Macan may have more low-end torque for DD. The computer says I am getting 23.9 MPG, after some spirited driving in town and freeway. It is not my sports car and I expect to get a Cayman.

The Macan is still great fun to drive, much more than the stodgy Mercedes. I don't find the usable floor space storage in back any less than Mercedes, although the stats don't reflect this. My 6'3" son and 6'0" daughter have been in the backseat, wife in front, a little tight but it works for infrequent outings.

You should be able to negotiate a lower price on a base Macan, I got 3% off from an AutoNation dealer, others have got better discounts.

edit - I don't like air suspension and had trouble in the past, don't think it is needed on the base.

Here is the Macan in the Cascade mountains at an old mining town:
It’s great to hear about the Merc. My girlfriend really likes the GLB and the GLE. Granted the GLE isn’t really in the same class as the Macan.

I’m glad you like the Base it is giving you good performance. I’m trying to not get hung up on HP numbers and this helped.

Have you had any warranty issues with your ‘20 Base?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It’s great to hear about the Merc. My girlfriend really likes the GLB and the GLE. Granted the GLE isn’t really in the same class as the Macan.

I’m glad you like the Base it is giving you good performance. I’m trying to not get hung up on HP numbers and this helped.

Have you had any warranty issues with your ‘20 Base?

No, but only 2k miles. Covid is keeping use down, working mostly from home. Expect 20k miles/yr when life returns to normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm attaching builds of both cars for those that are really bored ... haha.

Thanks all for taking the time to read and give any input.

@TheRas900
Looking @ your Macan build, if I've done the math correctly, I think you can save some $900 by selecting the Premium Package Plus for $7,400 vs taking the Prem Pkg ($4,720) plus surround view ($1,200) + 14-way seats ($1,710) + ventilated seats ($670) - selecting those 4 options individually = $8,300 vs $7,400 for the Prem Pkg Plus which includes all of those items. Put the savings towards upgraded wheels ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking @ your Macan build, if I've done the math correctly, I think you can save some $900 by selecting the Premium Package Plus for $7,400 vs taking the Prem Pkg ($4,720) plus surround view ($1,200) + 14-way seats ($1,710) + ventilated seats ($670) - selecting those 4 options individually = $8,300 vs $7,400 for the Prem Pkg Plus which includes all of those items. Put the savings towards upgraded wheels ;)
:unsure: ..... I really do dislike the Porsche building tool.

bout the wheels, I’ve never been a guy to upgrade wheels. Granted that was on a lifted Wrangler and my last 4Runner. Not the one listed above.

$900 would go a long way to a snow tire setup.

Speaking of wheels. The spare is the weirdest tire I’ve seen yet. I noticed there is an option for a normal rim. Anyone know the size of the spare? Is it just a front rim or in between the front/back? Anyone switch it out and rotate it? Yes, that weirdo that does a wheel rotation on my 4Runner because it has a matching spare.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Honestly - at the end of the day, you just have to decide your priorities... YOUR priorities, not ours. If you just want a car-oriented CUV to be a more “roomy” comfortable sedan... then it’s the Volvo (or any other lux CUV). If you want a DRIVER-ORIENTED CUV, then the Macan is your choice hands-down (sans maybe a Stelvio... but that’s a whole other game to play). IF you so choose the driver-oriented route (hence a Macan), then you have further priorities to establish. How far down the path of “addiction” do you want to go? Subtlety? Then get a base and don’t look back. Mildly intoxicating? Then get a used S and don’t look back. Full-on dang-near sport-sedan capability? Then a GTS or Turbo is your pathway to enlightenment.

It can get very overwhelming trying to look at “big picture” comparisons. But I kid you not, at least twice a week in my GTS, I comment to myself how I ended up in a Macan... because it is an extremely driver-oriented vehicle (it is a Porsche after all) and I absolutely love that component. It puts a smile on my face day after day, after day.... I look back at it every. Single. Time. I walk away.

Edit: This coming from a 3-time 4Runner owner... 2007 SE / 2011 Ltd / 2014 Trail Ed w/ KDSS and mods

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly - at the end of the day, you just have to decide your priorities... YOUR priorities, not ours. If you just want a car-oriented CUV to be a more “roomy” comfortable sedan... then it’s the Volvo (or any other lux CUV). If you want a DRIVER-ORIENTED CUV, then the Macan is your choice hands-down (sans maybe a Stelvio... but that’s a whole other game to play). IF you so choose the driver-oriented route (hence a Macan), then you have further priorities to establish. How far down the path of “addiction” do you want to go? Subtlety? Then get a base and don’t look back. Mildly intoxicating? Then get a used S and don’t look back. Full-on dang-near sport-sedan capability? Then a GTS or Turbo is your pathway to enlightenment.

It can get very overwhelming trying to look at “big picture” comparisons. But I kid you not, at least twice a week in my GTS, I comment to myself how I ended up in a Macan... because it is an extremely driver-oriented vehicle (it is a Porsche after all) and I absolutely love that component. It puts a smile on my face day after day, after day.... I look back at it every. Single. Time. I walk away.

Edit: This coming from a 3-time 4Runner owner... 2007 SE / 2011 Ltd / 2014 Trail Ed w/ KDSS and mods
Thank you for the perspective. It definitely comes down to what makes most sense for me and my family. I’ve also find it useful to get the perspective of others. One of my goals here is to see if anything pops up that is a non-starter with the Macan.

This is the first time I can choose between utility and enjoyment. Even my ES300h is more based on functionality. I was planning to be driving a lot more, but covid and other factors changed that. While the 35-44mpg is great it really isn’t key anymore. Also the cost difference between the Lexus and Toyota versions was about $2k .... why would anyone not buy the Lexus ... assuming they can. I will say the instant torque of the electric motor has pushed me to something that is more driver focused and fun. I love the feeling when driving on the electric motor.

Next year I’m fully planning on spending a good amount of time doing a test drive. My auto broker already said I can at least one Macan and XC60 (maybe 2 Macans) for a back to back long test drive. I also checked and he is able to get CPO too. He also suggested theFidelity extended warranty. I have one on my 4Runner and it’s been with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Something I thought of this morning .... in my Lexus I can set the external mirrors to angle down when in reverse. For example: when in reverse my passenger mirror adjusts down so I can see the how close the passenger rear tire is to the curb. At the same time the driver mirror adjusts out to give a better view is traffic next to me. Shifting to drive brings everything back to normal driving. I love this become I park on the street (girlfriend gets the garage) and it save my tire/wheels from scrubbing. I’m pretty use the XC60 does this. Does the Macan do this as well? I’m thinking it it does I could skip the surround cameras.

The surround camera would be nice off-road, but years of wheeling with out it means I really don’t need it. I pretty much know where the wheels are all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Something I thought of this morning .... in my Lexus I can set the external mirrors to angle down when in reverse. For example: when in reverse my passenger mirror adjusts down so I can see the how close the passenger rear tire is to the curb. At the same time the driver mirror adjusts out to give a better view is traffic next to me. Shifting to drive brings everything back to normal driving. I love this become I park on the street (girlfriend gets the garage) and it save my tire/wheels from scrubbing. I’m pretty use the XC60 does this. Does the Macan do this as well?
Yes, the Macan does have a setting for the passenger side mirror to tilt down - don't believe the driver's side mirror adjusts though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the direct comparison. It sounds like at the end of the day the Macan just made you happier.

Did you have any warranty issues with the XC60?
Happy to help! No warranty issues with the Volvo, just a few quirks. In warm weather, driving without the AC on, actually causes the heater to turn on in an effort to lower the temp of the Sensus screen. A couple times if the car was left sitting for more than 4 days you would have to push the brake pedal fairly hard to get the car to start. You'll see both are commonly found if you spend some time on SwedeSpeed forum, and neither is a defect. That said, those things happening in two years of ownership caused some concern they might become an issue later in the vehicle's life. The Macan has been completely flawless with the exception of brakes when cold that sound like I'm driving a 1980 Civic.

I would check out Steingold Volvo for an extended warranty if you go that route. They offer very competitive rates nationwide and get rave reviews. As mentioned earlier, I went with Fidelity for the Macan.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Happy to help! No warranty issues with the Volvo, just a few quirks. In warm weather, driving without the AC on, actually causes the heater to turn on in an effort to lower the temp of the Sensus screen. A couple times if the car was left sitting for more than 4 days you would have to push the brake pedal fairly hard to get the car to start. You'll see both are commonly found if you spend some time on SwedeSpeed forum, and neither is a defect. That said, those things happening in two years of ownership caused some concern they might become an issue later in the vehicle's life. The Macan has been completely flawless with the exception of brakes when cold that sound like I'm driving a 1980 Civic.

I would check out Steingold Volvo for an extended warranty if you go that route. They offer very competitive rates nationwide and get rave reviews. As mentioned earlier, I went with Fidelity for the Macan.
Living in Colorado means I often don’t use the climate system in spring/fall. Having the heat come on would annoy me. My personality would not do well with that. I already get annoyed in the winter when the auto-climate can’t figure out to preference the windshield defroster.

The same goes for the break pedal start issues. I would be worried about long term issues.

Are the cold squeaky breaks a Macan or Porsche issue in general? Would different pads help this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Going back through the build options, I noticed there’s no selection for remote start. Does the Macan have remote start by default? Can you start the car from the phone app? If not, a key fob sequence is also fine.

Since I park on the street in the winter being able to warm up the car and have it locked is important.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Living in Colorado means I often don’t use the climate system in spring/fall. Having the heat come on would annoy me. My personality would not do well with that. I already get annoyed in the winter when the auto-climate can’t figure out to preference the windshield defroster.

The same goes for the break pedal start issues. I would be worried about long term issues.

Are the cold squeaky breaks a Macan or Porsche issue in general? Would different pads help this?
Ha, I hear you on the annoyance of a poorly designed climate system. It had to be very specific circumstances but this would happen a couple times each month in those spring/fall seasons when applicable.

Some Macans have no squeal, some have very loud ones. I am going to try aftermarket pads when it comes time to replace. There is a large thread on this topic here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts