Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching through different posts. almost every single one of them showed only the end result or it turned into an ad for a vendor product so i figured i could finally make a video showing the steps in which it takes to make this mod happen.

It was pretty simple but i knew that when i had questions about it. It did not come together from just seeing pictures of the final product and may be we could show the actual how to.

My son decided to tackle this project and this is what we got and hopefully sheds some light to some macan owners.

Porsche Macan Air Intake Mod and installing some aFe High Flow Air Filters
https://amzn.to/375ykUL

Tools needed: T25 Torx Drill Bit https://amzn.to/34VLS2q
Any Dremel Rotary tool Kit https://amzn.to/3nSAkp2

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have to ask, if removing the panel across the top of the air filter box actually improves air flow, why didn't Porsche do it in the first place? It would have saved them some plastic.

plus

It looks to me as though the section that's cut out here might add some valuable cross-bracing to the filter box to prevent the sides from flexing.

and

Mess with the airflow through filters like this and it's quite possible you'll change the fuel/air ratio which is not necessarily good and can be bad.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have to ask, if removing the panel across the top of the air filter box actually improves air flow, why didn't Porsche do it in the first place? It would have saved them some plastic.

plus

It looks to me as though the section that's cut out here might add some valuable cross-bracing to the filter box to prevent the sides from flexing.

and

Mess with the airflow through filters like this and it's quite possible you'll change the fuel/air ratio which is not necessarily good and can be bad.
Fair points but you have to realize the OEM stock filter has a square design witha limited design. Porsche design and purpose is to design a sporty CUV that is fuel efficient not to maximize the power out of the car.

When going with an aftermarket Air Intake. It increase the airflow by just 5% which in the big scheme of things that can add power to the car. This is just a small part of the equation.

Yes, adding more air does change the power to fuel mix ratio. Very much like an aftermarket exhaust does. But that is certainly the goal, to get more power out of the car.

Also keep in mind that the engine and drive train in performance vehicles take into account for plus and minus horsepower Tunning out of the factory because they understand their OEM Hp out of the factory isn’t going to be the exact same for every car off the line and they also take into account the aftermarket industry that will most certainly make products that increase power on any performance oriented vehicle regardless of the brand.

Where I stand right now I should be around the same HP rating as a GTS or may be a bit more and I’m not worried yet until I start getting into 500HP or more at which point definitely aftermarket injectors and Tunning will be in the shopping list.

And if anyone is really concerned about Injectors and such. There is a local company here DeatschWerks, LLC that can pretty much custom make anything any tuner hearts desire.

However if you are stock or close to it. 5% Airflow increase would just give you a tab more power and responsiveness but nothing to start worrying about having to retune the ecu.

Lastly, The T design was there for the OEM filter but if you see many aftermarket companies have done ample research and test development to prove not only the design allows better airflow but it’s also secure and perfectly snug as it seals fully with the hood design when it closes. No worries about anything being loose in there.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I didn't want to be cutting any stock parts, so I went with the Flat 6 Motorsports High Flow Intake System on my old 2018 GTS....worked well too. I didn't notice any real HP gain, but my Macan felt a little more responsive, and I could hear the turbos more as well. Usually a vehicle's ECU can compensate for the increased intake flow from just a filter change.

Yes it was a bit pricey at $495.95, but since I bought a Porsche, I figured I could afford it. ;)

My new 2020 GTS only has one air filter, so I recently pre-ordered the new Flat 6 Motorsports High Flow Intake System for the GEN II.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've also done this mod - I find it to be more of a sound improvement over performance. I also ordered a second set of covers, to keep a stock set on the shelf, in case I ever want to go back to stock for any reason.

·
Registered
2017 Macan Turbo
16 Posts
I would assume it's because they don't want to be sucking in hot air from inside the engine compartment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My guess it is more for noise vs sucking heat as the top looks to seal against the hood. The stock design may also do a better job to ensure no water gets in.

·
Supporting Vendor
761 Posts
Nice video. I just wanted to shed some light on our approach to the intake on the Gen 1 Macan because I think it's worth noting.

We used CFD analysis to model air flow from the hood chamber into the airbox. The primary goal was increasing airflow while minimizing pressure drop so we could promote greater air velocity. With all of the simulations and modeling, the bell-horn shape of the filter was crucial in obtaining this effect. The 360 degree filter media allows for a greater distribution of air around the filter which also increases the air velocity post-filter. To maximize power, we designed a new duct top to optimize the air flow.

To my knowledge we have the only filter/intake on the market that is dyno proven, we have had it independently dynoed a couple of times now and it has consistently added 10-11whp without any tuning. The AFR's are maintained via the factory programming on the DME. The change to airflow on our filter (I assume for the others as well) is within the thresholds of the factory system.

I just wanted to mention our approach on the design and engineering side. One could simply cut the top of the ducts as many folks do. I just wanted to shine some light on why that works with our filter design. It might not necessarily result in the same effect and power output on K&N, BMC, AMS, or aFe's filters. We feel very confident we have the best solution on the market. I don't mean to undermine the effort with other filters. I can't say it wouldn't work too, I just know how we got to our solution and other's simply offer a filter (without a dyno). In fairness, companies like BMC never release dynos. We resell all of these lines and we try to only make products where we can add value to consumers. This was an area where we knew we could do better.

·
Supporting Vendor
761 Posts
I also wanted to mention, Porsche has a lot of constraints and tradeoffs to manage with cost, emissions, noise, etc. There are a lot of areas where performance can be enhanced on Porsche street cars/vehicles. This is why we don't try to make parts for the Porsche Motorsports line where those tradeoffs are non-existent. 😆

If Porsche wasn't a massive global, publicly-owned entity, I'm sure they would have a little more fun with things too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am really glad to see this discussion, I also questioned why Porsche would have placed that piece of plastic there if it would only reduce air flow but I went ahead and got a set without the piece of plastic and I got what at least was the right answer for me. I love to hear turbos all spooled up but what I could not stand was the sound when they didn't spool up. When under light acceleration and no real boost all I could hear was what I believe to be the sound of the waste gates allowing the exhaust to bypass the turbo and it was obnoxious to me. I put the factory ones back on and it went away, I kept the K&N filters and can still hear the turbos when they are screaming.

My question would be what is the increase with only changing out the filters and how much more would you get by cutting that piece of plastic out.

And then there is that piece in the hood that some cut out as well...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Before the air gets into the air boxes it has to pass through the passgaes in the hood. At speed, with air coming through the open louvres and then into the hood, there's a fair amount of force feeding going on. A dyno test on a stationary vehicle isn't exactly comparable because the induction system is having to drag air in through a slightly resistant hood. If the filters are more efficient they'll allow air to flow more easily regardless but to really know how much horsepower is gained by cutting out the "plastic bit" or the section in the hood, the dyno test should be done on a moving vehicle should it not?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts