Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody,

Just joined after using the forum to figure out many items in the last two weeks while hunting for a GTS. What amazes me is the spec on some of these cars I find online. You think you find the right car, and then realize that the person who checked the boxes didn't select Sports Chrono or Sports seats :(. I'm in the Austin area, so Porsche Austin is my home dealership. We have a few independent shops in our area for service/maintenance too. We don't mind waiting or searching for the right vehicle to fit out needs.

Spec we're looking for is:

1. Sports Chrono - Sports Plus is lovely, and I love proper launch control coming from owning several DSG/S-Tronic equipped VW/Audis
2. Sports Seats (Alcantara is a bonus). We have several vehicles with Alcantara (B5 S4 with Sports interior, 05 WRX with STI interior), so we're no strangers to maintenance of this lovely material.
3. Roof bars - We need to be able to strap stuff to the roof of the car since the interior is a bit cramped. We have a few roof accessories at home which work with OEM Thule racks which we tested over on several road trips.
4. Some sort of driver focused package like PTV+ would be a nice to have.
5. A park assist or two is very cool, the 360 camera is the same Audi has in the 2021 E-Tron we drove a few weeks ago.
6. Nothing too gawdy in the spec sheet like a full Garnet Red interior including seat belts, gauges, and matching Yeti mug. Just not a fan of red interiors, but red stitching is cool IMO.

I've been reading thoughts on higher mileage vehicles, higher mileage CPO's etc. since what we are finding in the market is heavily varied. I've also been reading up on aftermarket warranties like Fidelity, since some of y'all make me nervous with the repair needs of your Macan S, GTS or Turbos.

Wish me luck on my hunt!

Cheers.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hey everybody,

Just joined after using the forum to figure out many items in the last two weeks while hunting for a GTS. What amazes me is the spec on some of these cars I find online. You think you find the right car, and then realize that the person who checked the boxes didn't select Sports Chrono or Sports seats :(. I'm in the Austin area, so Porsche Austin is my home dealership. We have a few independent shops in our area for service/maintenance too. We don't mind waiting or searching for the right vehicle to fit out needs.

1. Sports Chrono - Sports Plus is lovely, and I love proper launch control coming from owning several DSG/S-Tronic equipped VW/Audis
2. Sports Seats (Alcantara is a bonus). We have several vehicles with Alcantara (B5 S4 with Sports interior, 05 WRX with STI interior), so we're no strangers to maintenance of this lovely material.
3. Roof bars - We need to be able to strap stuff to the roof of the car since the interior is a bit cramped. We have a few roof accessories at home which work with OEM Thule racks which we tested over on several road trips.
5. A park assist or two is very cool, the 360 camera is the same Audi has in the 2021 E-Tron we drove a few weeks ago.
6. Nothing too gawdy in the spec sheet like a full Carmine Red interior including seat belts, gauges, and matching Yeti mug. Just not a fan of red interiors, but red stitching is cool IMO.

I've been reading thoughts on higher mileage vehicles, higher mileage CPO's etc. since what we are finding in the market is heavily varied. I've also been reading up on aftermarket warranties like Fidelity, since some of y'all make me nervous with the repair needs of your Macan S, GTS or Turbos.

Wish me luck on my hunt!

Cheers.
As an expert Googler, try and find some links to PDF versions of the owners manuals. You will win some points here.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Sounds like you're looking for a specifically optioned Macan GTS. I might suggest you try this... Look on the For Sale link here as well as Rennlist. If you find something you like, look up all threads by the previous/current owner on that board. This will give you an idea as to how it was cared for, or not. Next, read, read, read as much as you can on any issues we are having with our version of Macan (GTS, S, Turbo). Once you know these, you can look yourself or relay your concerns to the mechanic of your choice to check for any gotcha's prior to purchase. IMO...

·
Registered
100 Posts
As they say in the biz, you can't order a 4 year old car so if you find close to what you're seeking, don't hesitate. Porsche's own CPO finder is pretty useful, but you might have to be willing to have the car shipped sight unseen.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
But DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Get a Carfax and an Autocheck and study both. Look for any issues it’s been back in the shop on multiple occasions.
Based on mileage ensure all proper maintenance was done: oil/filter changes, fluid flushes, plugs... Based on mileage check if brake pads were repaired.

How many miles left on the warranty? This is based on when it was titled. If there were a few hundred miles when titled, it was placed into service before that date and might affect the warranty by months.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Hey everybody,

6. Nothing too gawdy in the spec sheet like a full Garnet Red interior including seat belts, gauges, and matching Yeti mug. Just not a fan of red interiors, but red stitching is cool IMO.

Wish me luck on my hunt!

Cheers.
Here is my former car . Its impeccable but does have 40K miles . Non smoker , mature driver , recent tires and brakes (listed in car fax) , no kids . pets only go to veterinarian in carriers 1 block or so . It was the last build slot of 2018 so any first gen issues had years to be addressed .I am biased but its a perfect used far .
The sales contact is a forum member who presented me with a Turbo they had in inventory which I bought . In fact it even played out right here on the forum where he posted the car and the discount which I purchased and really love.

Thet are not asking much above what I got in trade . They did the 40K service and Cpo'd it.

His name is Robert Dorsey if you call them but his forum name is @R5Dorsey

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
466 Posts
It's not a GTS, but if I were in the market right now I'd give this Turbo PP serious consideration. Pre-Owned Inventory Inquiries | Land Rover South Bay Given that it's been bouncing around dealers for 6 months if there's no accidents or issues you likely can get it for less. It literally checks every one of your boxes, and if I sold my GTS, it would only be for a Turbo PP. Honestly, I've given serious consideration to swapping for this.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
You may find it easier to find a car without Sport Chrono, and then have it retrofitted afterward. It will cost around $1000, however.

Sport Chrono retrofit thread

Reactions: Gachnar

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Here is my former car . Its impeccable but does have 40K miles . Non smoker , mature driver , recent tires and brakes (listed in car fax) , no kids . pets only go to veterinarian in carriers 1 block or so . It was the last build slot of 2018 so any first gen issues had years to be addressed .I am biased but its a perfect used far .
The sales contact is a forum member who presented me with a Turbo they had in inventory which I bought . In fact it even played out right here on the forum where he posted the car and the discount which I purchased and really love.

Thet are not asking much above what I got in trade . They did the 40K service and Cpo'd it.

His name is Robert Dorsey if you call them but his forum name is @R5Dorsey
This is the way you do it! Thanks Robert.

Reactions: yrralis1

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo PP, 2013 911S manual, 1991 C4 Coupe
108 Posts
It's not a GTS, but if I were in the market right now I'd give this Turbo PP serious consideration. Pre-Owned Inventory Inquiries | Land Rover South Bay Given that it's been bouncing around dealers for 6 months if there's no accidents or issues you likely can get it for less. It literally checks every one of your boxes, and if I sold my GTS, it would only be for a Turbo PP. Honestly, I've given serious consideration to swapping for this.
Definitely a lot of car for the money!

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
466 Posts
Definitely a lot of car for the money!
Yeah, that one checks all my boxes too, other than a bit too flashy exterior.

If the OP is understandably trying to keep the budget in check, this 1 year older, average mileage Turbo PP might also fit the bill. Has a couple minor dings (which the seller details in photos) and lacks the Burmeister, but 32k miles and a stereo to save 17k might be worth it.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
I want to add one thing . I looked at car fax .on my old car . I always miss my cars after I trade them a little. The "accident" reported was so minor I forgot but I found a picture . My wife yielded to an ambulance and the lady behind her barely nicked the car . The cop didn't even want to write the ticket but my wife insisted . Look at the slight scratch on the driver rear bumper . We brought it to the dealership's authorized Porsche repair shop (called Countach) . The removed the bumper , painted it , and then we took it to our detail person to re apply the ceramic pro as the rest of the care has. (BTW ,. car has only been washed by hand or professionally detailed by my long term local expert . Never. a car wash ) . Here is the original blemish .Now you can see why I forgot . Beyond that not even a ding .

IMG_0235.jpeg

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
If you want a specific spec, used may not be the way to go. JMHO.
The problem is that ordering a car is tricky and takes longer . I still bought a NEW car but it was a car that was in inventory . Now there are a few things on my car I would have never ordered like a tow hitch but I'd rather have more than not enough . The car I bought had everything I wanted plus more . What originally was going to be an 82K GTS order turned into a 100K Turbo immediately . That;'s another plus .. the immediate car !! (whether new or CPO) .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you want a specific spec, used may not be the way to go. JMHO.
There are plenty of cars for sale stateside, so one will eventually be close enough to check those "nice to have" boxes. We are even considering an S, but those are harder to find with certain packages like Sports Chrono. Apparently, I am reading that Sports Chrono can be retrofitted. There is a fulllllly loaded Turbo for sale at Houston North for about 53k, but I haven't driven a Turbo to see how it compares to an S or GTS. I am sending a friend to check that car out for us tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to add one thing . I looked at car fax .on my old car . I always miss my cars after I trade them a little. The "accident" reported was so minor I forgot but I found a picture . My wife yielded to an ambulance and the lady behind her barely nicked the car . The cop didn't even want to write the ticket but my wife insisted . Look at the slight scratch on the driver rear bumper . We brought it to the dealership's authorized Porsche repair shop (called Countach) . The removed the bumper , painted it , and then we took it to our detail person to re apply the ceramic pro as the rest of the care has. (BTW ,. car has only been washed by hand or professionally detailed by my long term local expert . Never. a car wash ) . Here is the original blemish .Now you can see why I forgot . Beyond that not even a ding .

View attachment 238307
That is such a minor ding, but it's a nice new vehicle. I would also want the vehicle repaired. I am seeing several CPO GTS' nationwide with 1-2 accidents on record too. They must all be minor enough to pass that extensive CPO checklist. We would be insuring with USAA which only uses OEM replacement parts.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hey everybody,

Wish me luck on my hunt!

Cheers.
Agree with many of the posts above... My short opinion, it is going to be REALLY tough checking all your boxes. The used GTS market is very strong right now. You will most likely have to forego at least two of them... SC can be retro-fitted, so that's a no-brainer IMO. Unless you are carving canyons on a regular basis, I can't see PTV being drastically important (tho others here will argue the opposite). The Roof Bars will HAVE TO BE A MUST... as I don't think they can be retro-fitted (others can correct me if I'm wrong). The rest, take it as they come. Don't put a ton of emphasis on the CPO aspect, plenty here have gotten "burned" in one way or another with the CPO not necessarily working out as hoped; having said that, don't be afraid of a good 3rd Party Warranty instead (if you find the right car). I'm in DFW, so I'll keep an eye out up here. If you find one that meets your needs up here and need me to go look, I can do my best. My work life gets crazy, but this time of year is not too bad. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
And yes, the Turbo PP listed above is a pretty sweet deal. There was another one listed recently too, I think, over the past few days... so there's two PPs for sale I believe.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts