Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of configuring a Macan S and would just as well go with the steel suspension if lowering springs are available. I've searched around a little bit and have not seen any mention of them...is anyone offering them yet?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I'm in the process of configuring a Macan S and would just as well go with the steel suspension if lowering springs are available. I've searched around a little bit and have not seen any mention of them...is anyone offering them yet?
Don't know for sure now, but in a few months, yes. The question I want to ask you is why.

My experience tells me lowering springs decrease effectiveness and life of the OEM struts. Since spring rates on lowering springs are almost always higher than standard ones, OEM struts go bad a lot faster, not to mention the rides would suffer all the time. Your suspension warranty and all things related would go out the windows.

If you spec PASM, adding air suspension would be a better option for this purpose. There are aftermarket units which would allow you to adjust suspension heights even more on AS equipped Porsches if it's not low enough to your liking. Do a search online and you'll find plenty.

Reactions: thkemp

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
It's a very slippery slope to go this route. For example my first (of three suspension upgrades) on my 997 turbo was Techart springs . They cost 700 bucks but the labor was 9 hrs plus an alignment . In short this type of change adds up and Porsche actually offers an amazing performance suspension (AS , PTV, and PASM) in stock form .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input...my wife's current Q5 S-Line has steel suspension and I've heard good things about the Macan steel suspension as well, so I'm just weighing all of my options...and I'm trying to avoid a $75K Macan S as well :eek: I did spec out the full air suspension on my 2014 Ram...self leveling is extra-important to me on the truck, plus it has a lower "entry/exit" mode that helps my petite wife climb in!

·
Registered
271 Posts
The basic steel suspension without PASM SUCKS! and it is out right dangerous with all the power from the Macan.

Even with AS, I think the car can still be a bit lower. Since the Macan is my wife's car, we are not going to do anything. But if it is mine, I will find way to lower it than the lowest AS setting.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The basic steel suspension without PASM SUCKS! and it is out right dangerous with all the power from the Macan.

Even with AS, I think the car can still be a bit lower. Since the Macan is my wife's car, we are not going to do anything. But if it is mine, I will find way to lower it than the lowest AS setting.
Dangerous? I think you're a little off base with that comment. I have the basic steel springs and I think it performs just fine for a CUV.

·
Registered
416 Posts
What's your basis for that claim? If anything, I might expect the base steel to be safer, if behavior is more predictable and you develop better intuition about the limits of the car, even if those limits are a little lower. Suppose a small animal runs out in the road and you need to decide whether to swerve or hit it. Do you need to first check whether you have the suspension in Sport mode?

·
Registered
271 Posts
What's your basis for that claim? If anything, I might expect the base steel to be safer, if behavior is more predictable and you develop better intuition about the limits of the car, even if those limits are a little lower. Suppose a small animal runs out in the road and you need to decide whether to swerve or hit it. Do you need to first check whether you have the suspension in Sport mode?
I was talking about the basic steel suspension WITHOUT the PASM (so, no sport button). Btw, I know because I have been driving my wife's Macan for three weeks. I got myself in troubles twice already and the suspension is just too soft/floaty and the car is just too tall to handle the surge of power.

I have no driving experiences with PASM or AS since my dealer sold out everyone of his allocation. But I will believe any improvement over the basic steel suspension is good.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dangerous? I think you're a little off base with that comment. I have the basic steel springs and I think it performs just fine for a CUV.
Not disagreed with you at all for a SUV.

Let me clarify my early statement. If you will push your car hard with all the power from the engine, the basic steel suspension is not going to cut it. PASM or AS is a must.

If you drive slightly over the speed limit and mostly use it as a DD, it should be fine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I was talking about the basic steel suspension WITHOUT the PASM (so, no sport button). Btw, I know because I have been driving my wife's Macan for three weeks. I got myself in troubles twice already and the suspension is just too soft/floaty and the car is just too tall to handle the surge of power.

I have no driving experiences with PASM or AS since my dealer sold out everyone of his allocation. But I will believe any improvement over the basic steel suspension is good.
That was my point, with base steel there is only 1 suspension setting, so you learn its limits. I don't disagree with your experience that it is easy to reach those limits, but there will still be limits with any suspension. And, they may be harder to see coming if the suspension has multiple modes, as with PASM and AS. I don't know if this is true, just wondering. I also wonder how close you came to real trouble, or maybe the base steel just raises a warning flag sooner.

·
Registered
416 Posts
With just PASM you get Sport and Sport+ suspension modes, even without SC
And with base steel, you still get a Sport button, but it mainly effects the shift points.

·
Registered
271 Posts
That was my point, with base steel there is only 1 suspension setting, so you learn its limits. I don't disagree with your experience that it is easy to reach those limits, but there will still be limits with any suspension. And, they may be harder to see coming if the suspension has multiple modes, as with PASM and AS. I don't know if this is true, just wondering. I also wonder how close you came to real trouble, or maybe the base steel just raises a warning flag sooner.
Yeah, I get your point and totally agree with you about the limits.

For my wife uses it as a DD and rarely exceed speed limit, the basic suspension without PASM/AS totally fits her need and that is exactly what we got. She is actually a great candidate for a basic 4/cyl Macan.

However, if the buyer is going to get everything out of those two turbo engines, they will need firmer suspension to keep the Macan more planted or can easily get over the limit of the basic suspension.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I was kind of hoping for springs that would give another inch or so of lift.

Reactions: kcboxess

·
Registered
106 Posts
I find the basic steel suspension to be absolutely fantastic in every way. In fact, it is the single greatest surprise since taking delivery. I think it will out handle my BMW and the ride is significantly better. As for the power, not even close to overpowering anything much less this suspension at least on an S as 340 HP on a 4100+ lb. vehicle is barely adequate...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Checdk this out:Pro-Kit | Eibach.com | Performance Suspension | English | Europe

Click "Online Catalog"

Pro-Kit | Eibach.com | Performance Suspension | English | Europe

E10-72-014-02-22
Parts list
o.I
Pro-Kit
Observe service information , for vehicles without electronic suspension control, Fitting Position Front Axle, Lowering ca. 30 mm
Fitting Position Rear Axle, Lowering ca. 25 mm
with roadworthy certificate, for vehicles without ride height control, Axle Load FA to 1290 kg, Axle Load RA to 1475 kg
------------
Pro-Kit
Observe service information , for vehicles with electronic suspension control, Fitting Position Front Axle, Lowering ca. 30 mm
Fitting Position Rear Axle, Lowering ca. 25 mm
with roadworthy certificate, for vehicles without ride height control, Axle Load FA to 1290 kg, Axle Load RA to 1475 kg
in Preparation

1 - 20 of 275 Posts