Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Mine: Delivered on Nov 21, 2020
Current mileage: 97
That is sad....more than a month old and only 97 miles, 20 or so of that I bet was already on the vehicle when you took delivery. Have you've been out of the country or home a lot due to the pandemic? My new Macan had 24 miles when I first got it.

Mine is a daily driver, but work is close by, and I work from home a few days of the week. I picked up my ordered 2020 GTS very end of July, and as of today, I only have 1,384 miles on mine.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
but this is not a normal year.
You nailed it . . . the Macan was, originally, purchased with the intent of having a spare vehicle at our place in the Hudson Valley . . . . when COVID appeared it was pressed into service as a long range Palm Beach to NYC commuter. I am thrilled to say it is perfectly suited to the role. The Base Macan is perfectly capable of extended cruising approaching triple digits and the LED PDLS+ lights (one of the things I am picky about) are the best I've ever had in any car. The ACC . . . even with all the shortcomings of German technology . . . is a great safety feature and the LCA has saved me a couple times.

The Bose sound system does a fine job . . . .and even suits the better half who spent a career in the music business . . . the 14 way seats . . . to the collective chagrin of the "18 Way or the Highway" crowd . . . are perfect for our needs. Climate control works . . . including the heated/cooled seats and steering wheel and the platform provides ample room for 2 - 24"x24"24" cat carriers (I wish the 2 of them got along and I could have one of those spaces back) and 3 guitars lay perfectly across the back held in place by 2 Pelican cases of camera gear.

We're good here and I am resolved to the fact that we'll likely rack up a tons of miles . . . sell it for whatever the going price is for a 2 or 3 year old Macan with whatever mileage it has and buy something else, perhaps another Macan. It's a relatively inexpensive vehicle, gets pretty fair (roughly 25mpg) mileage and . . . the whipped cream on the sundae is the handling.

The mileage discussion always takes me back to "The Art of The Motorcycle" when the Guggenheim folks approached me about using a motorcycle in their exhibit. I agreed and they sent me all these contracts from "Horseless Carriage" about the bike traveling in a climate controlled trailer and a "crew chief" traveling with it to insure it was properly cared for. I told them I would handle the transportation myself. I did. I jumped on the bike about 3am and delivered it to them 973 miles later . . . with a couple stops in the Red Rocks and some scenic spots in Utah and Nevada for a couple memory photos . . . they were aghast when I pulled in with the thing covered in bugs . . . more so when some bright young man did the mental math and said "what the heck . . if you left there at xx and arrived here at xx you have to be averaging xx MPH" . . . I smiled, I love riding and driving and if I can't ride it, fly it, drive it, play it or shoot it . . . I have no need to own it.

the basic role of cars is transportation, the "point A to point B" utility. But, when you spend many hours in, or on, something it also takes on the roll of "mechanical therapist" and . . well, life's short so it **** sure better do a great job.

My fragile sanity demands it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You nailed it . . . the Macan was, originally, purchased with the intent of having a spare vehicle at our place in the Hudson Valley . . . . when COVID appeared it was pressed into service as a long range Palm Beach to NYC commuter. I am thrilled to say it is perfectly suited to the role. The Base Macan is perfectly capable of extended cruising approaching triple digits and the LED PDLS+ lights (one of the things I am picky about) are the best I've ever had in any car. The ACC . . . even with all the shortcomings of German technology . . . is a great safety feature and the LCA has saved me a couple times.

The Bose sound system does a fine job . . . .and even suits the better half who spent a career in the music business . . . the 14 way seats . . . to the collective chagrin of the "18 Way or the Highway" crowd . . . are perfect for our needs. Climate control works . . . including the heated/cooled seats and steering wheel and the platform provides ample room for 2 - 24"x24"24" cat carriers (I wish the 2 of them got along and I could have one of those spaces back) and 3 guitars lay perfectly across the back held in place by 2 Pelican cases of camera gear.

We're good here and I am resolved to the fact that we'll likely rack up a tons of miles . . . sell it for whatever the going price is for a 2 or 3 year old Macan with whatever mileage it has and buy something else, perhaps another Macan. It's a relatively inexpensive vehicle, gets pretty fair (roughly 25mpg) mileage and . . . the whipped cream on the sundae is the handling.

The mileage discussion always takes me back to "The Art of The Motorcycle" when the Guggenheim folks approached me about using a motorcycle in their exhibit. I agreed and they sent me all these contracts from "Horseless Carriage" about the bike traveling in a climate controlled trailer and a "crew chief" traveling with it to insure it was properly cared for. I told them I would handle the transportation myself. I did. I jumped on the bike about 3am and delivered it to them 973 miles later . . . with a couple stops in the Red Rocks and some scenic spots in Utah and Nevada for a couple memory photos . . . they were aghast when I pulled in with the thing covered in bugs . . . more so when some bright young man did the mental math and said "what the heck . . if you left there at xx and arrived here at xx you have to be averaging xx MPH" . . . I smiled, I love riding and driving and if I can't ride it, fly it, drive it, play it or shoot it . . . I have no need to own it.

the basic role of cars is transportation, the "point A to point B" utility. But, when you spend many hours in, or on, something it also takes on the roll of "mechanical therapist" and . . well, life's short so it **** sure better do a great job.

....I swear we are related.

Summed up perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is sad....more than a month old and only 97 miles, 20 or so of that I bet was already on the vehicle when you took delivery. Have you've been out of the country or home a lot due to the pandemic? My new Macan had 24 miles when I first got it.

Mine is a daily driver, but work is close by, and I work from home a few days of the week. I picked up my ordered 2020 GTS very end of July, and as of today, I only have 1,384 miles on mine.
Yes exactly 20 miles when delivered

·
Registered
976 Posts
Fifty days more or less since delivery and I am about 400 miles. But, as mentioned, this is a weird year. Normally I would have made a couple of trips north south and east west (within Florida), but patiently awaiting the vaccine.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Received mine in March 2017 and it has a grand total of........................................................................................................................6455 miles. :eek:

Being retired and with everything within a few miles of the house the miles just aren't piling on quickly. I do make sure the oil temp is at the normal operating range before it goes back in the garage after each drive. More than half of the miles went on in the first year.

Since this Macan is a keeper I was considering getting an extended warranty. However, I decided since I only put around 1K miles a year on it I came to the conclusion one isn't necessary. It will probably be in the 20-25K mile range when I'm too old to drive any longer. Some day someone will be totally stoked in getting my very low mileage and limited production Turbo PP.

Reactions: TXRed

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts

So did you ride it back the other way after the show?

·
Premium Member
2018 Macan Sport Edition
170 Posts
Mine is now 11 months since delivery and I'm at 12K kms... on target for my usual 13K per year. And the Boxster racks up about the same.

So when the Macan is 5 years old it will have about 65K kms or 40K miles, so it will qualify over the long term as a low mileage car.

My use is about 50% cross-town commute, 30% fast road trips and 20% back roads and forest service roads. The Macan is well suited to all the above. It seems to love the mountain freeway (Coquihalla Hwy) at speeds just under 100mph, up and down hills with no apparent strain at all from the 2.0 litre engine. And in offroad mode it's almost as capable as my previous Jeep Grand Cherokee.

But the real treat for me is just getting in it every day for the 10 mile trip to work. I've always had a "fun" car for road trips (Cayman or Boxster), and my daily driver was less fun. Now the daily drive is a highlight of my day.

If it takes me 12 years to get to 100K miles I'll be 80 years old by then and hopefully still enjoying the drive!

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
12,403 Posts
I remember buying a 996 and only driving it 1K miles in a year . The next year the refresh came and I wanted to trade it . I was offered 10K less than what I paid . When I expressed that it was a perfect car they agreed but followed with " its been titled and is a model year old . " I have a 14 year old 997 Turbo with only 25K miles .

In contrast I have 35K miles on my 2017 911 GTS and already have 1300 on my Macan turbo . Both are daily drivers and that means we drive them even if its to go to Petsmart or Whole Foods for curbside pickup . We have not used the cars at all for leisure . All drives are for a purpose . For me to go lap swimming is 20 miles (10 each way) . Many here know that both myself and my wife (started as a hobby and became a way of life) feed , provide medical care , and rescue homeless animals . Many of them are abandoned in remote isolated locations and that means driving to them . We go separately because there are that many . We dont put them in our cars unless it's an emergency . We did put our first in the new Macan yesterday. We pay trappers to transport but they have to know where to to go . Whats even more interesting is that the animals know the sound of our exhaust and break cover to connect . In short .. we drive.

I cant see preserving miles in. an SUV . I do regret the low mile 996 . I dont regret the 997 Turbo but that;s because its a unique car that I wanted to preserve because of that . When I trade in.cars 2.5 years later with nearly 40K miles I don't lose a lot of money because we do take care of them (serviced, detailed, maintained , cleaned ) .

Some of the cars that spend months at a time sitting un driven or which are only used for very short but frequent drives have been known to develop problems . The most common in the 911 is oil leaks . Its really needed to allow a car to fully heat up and charge and ideally three times a week at least .

·
Registered
2021 Macan S
74 Posts
I picked up my 21 Macan S in mid Nov and have about 350 miles on it. I am not commuting to work anymore since covid so I dont get as much chance to drive it for commuting otherwise it would have way more miles on it. Normally I would be putting about 60 miles /day on a work commute round trip. My 2007 911 doesnt get many miles on it either. Its mostly a nice weather drive car. I picked it up in 2011 with 6K on it and it still only has around 18K now. Too many vehicles not enough time...my wife has an Acura RDX, I also have a Tacoma pickup truck and 2 motorcycles, 1 ATV

1 - 20 of 71 Posts