Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
2021-01-11: I got the 'Coolant Level Low - Stop Driving Immediately' warning on the way to work this morning. Pulled over about 1/4 mile later, all temps looked fine on the display, the message went away after 30 s. The expansion tank had some fluid way below the min line and below the sensor. No obvious leaks so i assumed it was a progressive leak out of engine and evaporating or head gasket leak into cylinders or oil. Continued to drive to work, while making a service appointment and Porsche advised to top it off with distilled water until then. When i got to work, had a look again under the hood, a little steam coming from the front of the engine, maybe a leaking hose (hopefully!). 1 hour later the ground was covered in coolant, the engine lower cover wet all over.

So with a flat tow truck on the way, a rental car booked (no loaners available), I am hoping it is just a loose hose or some other inconvenience; which may be a result of Porsche pulling the engine out to fix the timing belt cover oil leak a few months ago.

Will let you know what the cause is.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Had the same issue as described by the original post. It was an upper coolant hose connector shaped like a T and it had to be replaced. Technician said it crumbled into pieces because of the immense heat that comes off the top of the engine. I look at this as a design flaw, that piece should be metal or aluminum, not plastic. My coolant tank was bone dry and I poured 32 oz. of bottled Aquafina water into the tank so that I could drive car 10 miles to the dealer. Error code went away with the temporary fix. Tech said that was OK to get the car to the dealer.
After the new T connector installed, all is well. Be careful of a wrong diagnosis and expensive water pump repair...

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
I get a coolant smell in garage after driving,...and inside cabin sometiime......dealer will hear about this......

·
Registered
2 Posts
2021-01-11: I got the 'Coolant Level Low - Stop Driving Immediately' warning on the way to work this morning. Pulled over about 1/4 mile later, all temps looked fine on the display, the message went away after 30 s. The expansion tank had some fluid way below the min line and below the sensor. No obvious leaks so i assumed it was a progressive leak out of engine and evaporating or head gasket leak into cylinders or oil. Continued to drive to work, while making a service appointment and Porsche advised to top it off with distilled water until then. When i got to work, had a look again under the hood, a little steam coming from the front of the engine, maybe a leaking hose (hopefully!). 1 hour later the ground was covered in coolant, the engine lower cover wet all over.

So with a flat tow truck on the way, a rental car booked (no loaners available), I am hoping it is just a loose hose or some other inconvenience; which may be a result of Porsche pulling the engine out to fix the timing belt cover oil leak a few months ago.

Will let you know what the cause is.
I had the exact same issue here, just last week. It happens out of no where, and all of the sudden puddle of coolant on the floor. Car is in the shop right now.

Let us know and keep us updated on the issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same issue as described by the original post. It was an upper coolant hose connector shaped like a T and it had to be replaced. Technician said it crumbled into pieces because of the immense heat that comes off the top of the engine. I look at this as a design flaw, that piece should be metal or aluminum, not plastic. My coolant tank was bone dry and I poured 32 oz. of bottled Aquafina water into the tank so that I could drive car 10 miles to the dealer. Error code went away with the temporary fix. Tech said that was OK to get the car to the dealer.
After the new T connector installed, all is well. Be careful of a wrong diagnosis and expensive water pump repair...
I wonder would those plastic t shape hose just wore it self out, or is something else causing the engine to heat up and led to the breakage of the t shape hose?

Did you notice any overheating from your engine prior to the breakage of the t shape hose?

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts

Design flaw?

You'll have to get used to the use of plastic in under the hood components.

Several years ago BMW began using plastic tanks for their radiators. After a few years, radiator
replacement is mandatory as the plastic becomes brittle with age and prone to failure.

The same holds true for coolant hoses, pipes, etc.

There are vendors selling radiators with aluminum tanks as well as silicone coolant hoses, etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
2021-01-19: Update:

I got the car back from the dealer, the leak was attributed to a failed hard plastic pipe under the intake manifold, apparently in removing the pipe it was observed to be brittle and fragile. I had hoped that the root cause would have been a clamp/fitting poorly installed when the engine was pulled for the timing belt cover oil leak some months ago. Apparently not, the part cost was relatively inexpensive $100+, coolant ~$70ish, with labor the quote was about $1350 due to effort to access location. However, the final invoice had a $450ish 'Manager Discount' which was explained to be for the replacement of 'one-use' parts (fuel line) that had to be removed in accessing the issue but had not been originally quoted.

Incidentally, I wrote to Porsche USA to request a concession on warranty coverage despite the recent expiration of factory warranty, the basis being that due to the number of identical or similar failures, there must be a fundamental defect in the material selection for the high temperature / cyclic temperature application. The response was "... you may want to consider buying an extended warranty from the dealer".

21 - 31 of 31 Posts