Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yep....GEN II has no headlamp washers, fog lights, or a CD player....and the V6's only have one air filer/intake....
If I'm not wrong the new engine is single turbo, in this case there's no need for a second air filter box.
Regarding the plastics, I believe that they are just cheap, it all started with the 996 and I don't think that it will change.
Same with the leather, I drive 930's from the early 80's with sport seats and they still look great, a Macan with sport seats shows wear on the bolsters after 10K miles and the list will go on and on.
A very common coolant leak on the V6 comes from the plastic pipes on top of the engine, hopefully if this is the case the warranty should cover it.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
If I'm not wrong the new engine is single turbo, in this case there's no need for a second air filter box.
GEN II 2.9L V6 in the Turbo and GTS is twin turbo....

GEN II 3.0L V6 in the S has a single turbo....

Reactions: mplgaus

·
Registered
186 Posts
Had the same issue as described by the original post. It was an upper coolant hose connector shaped like a T and it had to be replaced. Technician said it crumbled into pieces because of the immense heat that comes off the top of the engine. I look at this as a design flaw, that piece should be metal or aluminum, not plastic. My coolant tank was bone dry and I poured 32 oz. of bottled Aquafina water into the tank so that I could drive car 10 miles to the dealer. Error code went away with the temporary fix. Tech said that was OK...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd like to see the source of that information. I'm not taking you to task, but as a academic I always like to dig into this stuff. One of the bennies of being a Professor at Columbia is access to lots of great info and I have to confess I am coming up with a big goose egg trying to get a comparison, in terms or durability, between "virgin" plastic and recycled plastic.

I know some things . . . motor oil for example . . . can actually equal or improve with recycling.

I found some FAQ sections in the EPA but can't find anything on durability comparisons. It appears that the process essentially takes the materials back to their virgin state but, at this point, I can't nail anything down definitively.
The source of that information was a guy who worked a BMW and told me back around 12 years ago. I did a quick search and there is material out there. I dont know what everyone is doing, but I doubt I would be told something like that if there wasn't some truth to it.

Recycled plastics in the automotive industry - Knauf Industries Automotive
2017, Toyota pointed out as one of the problems to be overcome that recycled material is of lower quality.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Carchex. 3 years/100k miles. Started at 114,000 miles and last sept. Was something like $6000 and is exclusionary. Does not cover leaks or electronics. But all major mechanical stuff. $200 deductible. So we will see.
Curious if the fine print in that warranty has a cap? When I bought my 955 Cayenne I bought into an aftermarket warranty. The transmission or possibly transfer case whined when the car was cold and I thought I would exercise the warranty. When I spent time under the car I saw that the transfer case was super clean, indicating to me that it had been replaced recently. Having replaced transmissions with rebuilt units before I knew that they often whine and that isn't covered by any warranty.
Anyway, thinking that maybe it was the transmission I looked in my warranty paperwork to make sure it was covered. It was, but the total cost payout for the repair would be $5k. That wouldn't even cover a shop replacing a Cayenne transmission with a used unit, let alone rebuilt or newly manufactured. I went down the next day and cancelled my basically worthless extended warranty and got the remainder of my money back.

Early Cayennes had plastic coolant pipes which routed under the intake manifold and they were known to fail. There was a recall to replace them with aluminum pipes. Getting the intake manifold off the 955 was actually a pretty easy job.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Got the diagnosis. Main coolant feed pipe let go. Whatever that means. They have to pull the intake and replace it.
Still waiting to see if warranty covers it
And yes, there is a max pay out on the warranty. Not on any single event but a total of $16,000 or the value of the car.
So I spent $6000 to save myself $10,000.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a coolant feed pipe with a T connection leak as well under the intake. But it was just cracked at the connection and caught it slowly dripping before failure. Happened around 75k miles on 2015 turbo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This happened to me last week. Coolant Y pipe failed... My 4.5 year old car had 41k miles. PCNA did give me goodwill towards repair though so for me cost was about $400. Was orignally quoted $2k.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Got the diagnosis. Main coolant feed pipe let go. Whatever that means. They have to pull the intake and replace it.
Still waiting to see if warranty covers it
And yes, there is a max pay out on the warranty. Not on any single event but a total of $16,000 or the value of the car.
So I spent $6000 to save myself $10,000.
By chance did you find out what the main coolant feed pipe is made of? Metal....plastic?

Shame on Porsche if it's plastic....

21 - 31 of 31 Posts