Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife was driving home from a meeting. Calls me and says has a warning to pull over immediately. Coolant low.

she pulls over. Temp was 210. Turns car off and waits for me

I get to her and open the hood. There is 0 coolant in the reservoir and a large puddle underneath.
Towed to dealer.
2016 Macan S with 150,000 miles and an extended warranty that I paid $6700 for that I have yet to use.
We will see

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
Sounds like it failed with good notice.
keep us posted on the replacement parts.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
You have an extended warranty still in effect at 150k miles? Who sells a warranty that covers mileage that high? Wow.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carchex. 3 years/100k miles. Started at 114,000 miles and last sept. Was something like $6000 and is exclusionary. Does not cover leaks or electronics. But all major mechanical stuff. $200 deductible. So we will see.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Here's hoping that they don't say that it was just a coolant leak.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Carchex. 3 years/100k miles. Started at 114,000 miles and last sept. Was something like $6000 and is exclusionary. Does not cover leaks or electronics. But all major mechanical stuff. $200 deductible. So we will see.
Interesting.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Any other problems at 150,000 miles? I've kept a couple cars past 100,000 and found that it seemed always be something . . . $1,200 here . . . $1,700 there . . . $9,00 there. But, I also know folks who are past 250,000 with their cars and happy as can be.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had the same thing happen but it was just the upper intake coolant hose that had virtually cooked itself apart. My guess is from the temperature the material it was made out reached a max point and literally fell apart while trying to get it off from the exposure to heat.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any other problems at 150,000 miles? I've kept a couple cars past 100,000 and found that it seemed always be something . . . $1,200 here . . . $1,700 there . . . $9,00 there. But, I also know folks who are past 250,000 with their cars and happy as can be.
wheel bearing, some small oil leak for $400

otherwise nope

generally for a car to leave my house it had to be wrecked. I have a bmw and Audi with well over 200,000k and I budget $2000/year for repairs.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts

otherwise nope

generally for a car to leave my house it had to be wrecked. I have a bmw and Audi with well over 200,000k and I budget $2000/year for repairs.
Very smart. Vehicle reliability has improved so much that for most cars today 200,000 miles is easy if properly maintained and not abused.

Doesn't mean there will not be the occasional repair, but for the vast majority far less costly versus the depreciation expense associated with buying new.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Germany uses eco plastics if there is such a thing. Almost every plastic part will fail eventually, but these will fail sooner than the non-recycled material.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Germany uses eco plastics if there is such a thing. Almost every plastic part will fail eventually, but these will fail sooner than the non-recycled material.
Very surprised how many parts on our BMW's are plastic. Why do they do this? Cost? Weight?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Very surprised how many parts on our BMW's are plastic. Why do they do this? Cost? Weight?
No idea. They have a lot of regulation over there though. I had a radiator crack on a BMW shortly after my CPO ran out. Since I had a 20+ year old 911 and the plastics on that didn't crack, I was curious why something would just crack on a 5 year old BMW. Long story short, someone who worked with BMW corporate told me about the recycled parts and the make up of the plastics they were using these days.

·
Registered
380 Posts
but these will fail sooner than the non-recycled material.
I'd like to see the source of that information. I'm not taking you to task, but as a academic I always like to dig into this stuff. One of the bennies of being a Professor at Columbia is access to lots of great info and I have to confess I am coming up with a big goose egg trying to get a comparison, in terms or durability, between "virgin" plastic and recycled plastic.

I know some things . . . motor oil for example . . . can actually equal or improve with recycling.

I found some FAQ sections in the EPA but can't find anything on durability comparisons. It appears that the process essentially takes the materials back to their virgin state but, at this point, I can't nail anything down definitively.

·
Super Moderator
2,290 Posts
It's got to be cheaper to produce cars with plastic radiator tanks instead of brass. Unfortunately
over time the plastic dries out and cracks. When metal side tanks leaked they could either be
braised or replaced. Now it requires an entire radiator replacement!

I believe you can get metal (so-called lifetime) radiators for BMWs - at a cost.

Manufacturers are always looking for ways to reduce production costs.

Aren't the newer Macans coming without headlamp washers?

·
Registered
611 Posts

otherwise nope

$167/ month car payment. Good deal. (y)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Manufacturers are always looking for ways to reduce production costs.

Aren't the newer Macans coming without headlamp washers?
Yep....GEN II has no headlamp washers, fog lights, or a CD player....and the V6's only have one air filer/intake....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actually think the plastics are pretty durable. My BMW and Audi have never had an issues and I have disassembled the BMW cooling system more times than I can count. And on the Ford Excursion we had, everything rusted. Coolant leaks because the clamps rusted off.
Still waiting to hear from the dealer about the Macan...

but we did buy a 2020 cayenne while we were there

1 - 20 of 31 Posts