Porsche Macan Forum banner

1201 - 1220 of 1241 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Which dealer? These days I won’t do any deal without a 10% discount.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am looking into ordering a 2020 Macan S. I read thru this thread and seems like 8-9% is generally the highest discount for a special order. I was wondering if 10% or even higher would be possible nowadays due to COVID-19? Anyone ordered a Macan recently?

I live in LA area so I can just order with any US dealership and have the car shipped to LA PEC, right?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I live in LA area so I can just order with any US dealership and have the car shipped to LA PEC, right?
That's correct.

Note that delivery -- along with lunch, a tour, and instruction in a similar model -- at either PEC adds something like $400 (I haven't looked at the actual price in the configurator lately). It will also add some time, to work your appointment into a PEC's schedule; this could be anywhere from a few weeks to a month or so. The last I read, Atlanta's schedule was two cars per day, Monday - Thursday, and LA's was one car, so it might add a bit more at LA; maybe someone with a recent LA experience can chime in.

Of course, this assumes that things will be back to normal at PECs by the time your car arrives. Ordering this second will also take longer than in times past, too, what with the factory and supply chains not back up to speed yet.

But, yep, you are correct in your main point. My wife and I took delivery at the Atlanta PEC in 2017, and loved the experience, which opinion is pretty universal, from what I've read on other posts on this, too. We managed to just get in under the wire, before Porsche starting charging for this, but -- unlike you -- in our case we had to pay for travel to Atlanta, a hotel stay, etc.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
7% off an ordered 2020 Macan GTS from Norwell Porsche, MA (thanks Andrew!)....delivery Aug/Sep.

Build #PLRKITZ4

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you! Do you know if I need to pay the $1450 delivery/processing fee if I do a custom order with a dealership?

That's correct.

Note that delivery -- along with lunch, a tour, and instruction in a similar model -- at either PEC adds something like $400 (I haven't looked at the actual price in the configurator lately). It will also add some time, to work your appointment into a PEC's schedule; this could be anywhere from a few weeks to a month or so. The last I read, Atlanta's schedule was two cars per day, Monday - Thursday, and LA's was one car, so it might add a bit more at LA; maybe someone with a recent LA experience can chime in.

Of course, this assumes that things will be back to normal at PECs by the time your car arrives. Ordering this second will also take longer than in times past, too, what with the factory and supply chains not back up to speed yet.

But, yep, you are correct in your main point. My wife and I took delivery at the Atlanta PEC in 2017, and loved the experience, which opinion is pretty universal, from what I've read on other posts on this, too. We managed to just get in under the wire, before Porsche starting charging for this, but -- unlike you -- in our case we had to pay for travel to Atlanta, a hotel stay, etc.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Thank you! Do you know if I need to pay the $1450 delivery/processing fee if I do a custom order with a dealership?
Technically, yes you still have to pay the $1,350 Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee even if you custom order the vehicle.

How much you actually pay towards delivery depends on your overall discount off MSRP.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
What @Masscan said, above.

More specifically, you might want to read my post from a couple of years back in this thread. Specifically, post #755 (on page 38); here's the direct link: List your discount!

You'll note that the dealer I bought the car from charged a fee (it doesn't matter what they call it -- it's a fee, and it varies among dealers) of $595, while my local dealer charged a fee of $75.

(I didn't buy locally because the overall price was higher here, plus that involved a lot of teeth pulling, and I didn't like the way we were treated, and in any case we were having the car delivered to the Atlanta PEC.)

So rather than get hung up on what to call fees, whether they could be negotiated, etc., I just concentrated on the final price to me. And that's why when the dealer that I ordered the car from said it was an 8.5% discount, I did the math on the total price of the car -- any and all fees, and the spec'ed car with its alleged discount -- and came up with a real discount of, as I stated, 7.6%. (Which was good enough for me, but not the stated 8.5%, and the salesman and I both knew that.)

So, what you have to do is the same thing. Get an ostensible discount on the car, throw in any fees, and you have a total price to you. Then, compare that total price to you with the total price to you of the same to-be-ordered car, this time with one or more other dealers. That's simple, and will tell you where you're getting the best price.

Finally, if you want to see if that final lowest price is a reasonable deal, you can do the math to see what percentage discount you're getting: 1 - (Final-price-to-you / MSRP). These days, who knows ... but in normal, pre-pandemic, times, folks were getting c. 8% off without too much trouble; I would expect the discounts to be deeper now, with the slump in sales, but also the wait will probably be longer, too.

Follow me?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I actually read your excellent summary before I joined the community imao!
Right now, I am offered 10% off an ordered S (MSRP $68880, this includes the $1350 delivery fee) + fee of $288.5. That basically translates to a 9.52%. This puts the total to $62280+$475 delivery to LA PEC = $62755.
I also found a lot new 2020 Macan S that meets most of my specifics (mahogany exterior + beige interior) in my local area. The MSRP is $69070 and I offered $60500. I should get back from them tomorrow, and then I can decide whether I am going to get the lot car or a custom order.
What do you guys think? Can I do better than that?

What @Masscan said, above.

More specifically, you might want to read my post from a couple of years back in this thread. Specifically, post #755 (on page 38); here's the direct link: List your discount!

You'll note that the dealer I bought the car from charged a fee (it doesn't matter what they call it -- it's a fee, and it varies among dealers) of $595, while my local dealer charged a fee of $75.

(I didn't buy locally because the overall price was higher here, plus that involved a lot of teeth pulling, and I didn't like the way we were treated, and in any case we were having the car delivered to the Atlanta PEC.)

So rather than get hung up on what to call fees, whether they could be negotiated, etc., I just concentrated on the final price to me. And that's why when the dealer that I ordered the car from said it was an 8.5% discount, I did the math on the total price of the car -- any and all fees, and the spec'ed car with its alleged discount -- and came up with a real discount of, as I stated, 7.6%. (Which was good enough for me, but not the stated 8.5%, and the salesman and I both knew that.)

So, what you have to do is the same thing. Get an ostensible discount on the car, throw in any fees, and you have a total price to you. Then, compare that total price to you with the total price to you of the same to-be-ordered car, this time with one or more other dealers. That's simple, and will tell you where you're getting the best price.

Finally, if you want to see if that final lowest price is a reasonable deal, you can do the math to see what percentage discount you're getting: 1 - (Final-price-to-you / MSRP). These days, who knows ... but in normal, pre-pandemic, times, folks were getting c. 8% off without too much trouble; I would expect the discounts to be deeper now, with the slump in sales, but also the wait will probably be longer, too.

Follow me?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Yes, I actually read your excellent summary before I joined the community imao!
Right now, I am offered 10% off an ordered S (MSRP $68880, this includes the $1350 delivery fee) + fee of $288.5. That basically translates to a 9.52%. This puts the total to $62280+$475 delivery to LA PEC = $62755.
I also found a lot new 2020 Macan S that meets most of my specifics (mahogany exterior + beige interior) in my local area. The MSRP is $69070 and I offered $60500. I should get back from them tomorrow, and then I can decide whether I am going to get the lot car or a custom order.
What do you guys think? Can I do better than that?
Both pretty good deals, IMHO (disclaimer: we have one of the few Mahogany cars ((with Saddle Brown full leather).)

Tough decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My salesman just notified me that the LA PEC delivery might be discontinued due to COVID-19. So if that's the case when my vehicle arrives, I will have to take care of the shipping cost from Ohio to LA...

Also, they are saying the Porsche financial services cannot process my loan application because I have to be in person to sign the documents. So they have to go thru BOA's auto loan or I can just find my own loan lender. You know Porsche is advertising a 1.95% APR for their 60-mo loan and I really want to take advantage of that. Is it true that I have to be physically present for Porsche financial services to process my loan? I found this a little skeptical.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Also, they are saying the Porsche financial services cannot process my loan application because I have to be in person to sign the documents. So they have to go thru BOA's auto loan or I can just find my own loan lender. You know Porsche is advertising a 1.95% APR for their 60-mo loan and I really want to take advantage of that. Is it true that I have to be physically present for Porsche financial services to process my loan? I found this a little skeptical.
My salesman just this past Wednesday sent me my Porsche application for the 1.95% for 60 months on my ordered 2020 Macan GTS via email, I then populated the fields, and submitted it back. Following day my salesman texted me he got everything, and submitted both my order and the Porsche credit application.

Now if my order gets push out to a MY2021 because of COVID-19, it remains to be seen if I actually get this 1.95% Porsche loan.

We shall see....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Finally made the deposit of $2000 with Porsche Nashua (Yes, I changed the dealership because the Cincinnati one insisted on $10k deposit). 11% off $69,185 MSRP on an ordered S + $595 dealership fee, equivalent to 10.14%. They also require 10% down when locking in the build.
1.95% loan application with PFS will also be submitted but the rates cannot be locked until the delivery in September. So we will see if I can get that rate by then.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Finally made the deposit of $2000 with Porsche Nashua (Yes, I changed the dealership because the Cincinnati one insisted on $10k deposit). 11% off $69,185 MSRP on an ordered S + $595 dealership fee, equivalent to 10.14%. They also require 10% down when locking in the build.
1.95% loan application with PFS will also be submitted but the rates cannot be locked until the delivery in September. So we will see if I can get that rate by then.
Congrats! Sounds like a good deal....

So was your deposit $2,000, 10% when locking the build, or both?

10% down payment is par for Porsche of Nashua on an ordered vehicle. My deposit at Norwell Porsche on my ordered 2020 GTS was just $2,500, and their doc fees are $445.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Congrats. Sounds mighty good to me. And nice write-up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like a good deal....

So was your deposit $2,000, 10% when locking the build, or both?

10% down payment is par for Porsche of Nashua on an ordered vehicle. My deposit at Norwell Porsche on my ordered 2020 GTS was just $2,500, and their doc fees are $445.
Yes, initial deposit of $2000 and additional 10% when locking the build. I think it is Porsche Nashua's policy, but I guess I am fine with it. It goes to my down payment anyway. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did look at recent threads and didn't find one on this so I hope this is OK.

I have decided - I will buy a Macan S in the next week or two. Question I have is - discount.

On the new ones we can all see the MSRP of the vehicle and I know it's a suckers number. What I don't know is how much movement I should expect off the sticker if an in stock unit, or for a car they have to get via swap with another dealer. Is there a rule of thumb?

On the used front same thing. I have interest in some 2019-2020 used low miles cars and wonder what is fair deal to look at.

Thanks for any guidance.

1201 - 1220 of 1241 Posts