Porsche Macan Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1241 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
My original thoughts were when it came to trading in my GTS, my short list was the new 2021 BMW M4 AWD (if the front end wasn't too ugly) or a 2021 Mercedes C63s AWD (if it still offers a V8). My wife picks up her new 2020 GLC43 coupe next month, and when we were shopping for cars, 10% was easily attainable on either the Mercedes or the BMW X4 m40i that was on her list.

But I have to say, IF I can get a good trade-in price for my 2018 GTS, AND I can get 15% off MSRP or better on a 2020 Turbo....well, that might sway me back to a Porsche.

Time will tell of course....
@Masscan I need to live where you live for these discounts! Do you mind sharing the greater market you live or if you shop outside of where you live where you get these prices?

I live in ATL, I ordered a 2020 Turbo and the best I could do was 5% off. I bought a pair of Audi's from the dealership before and stepping up to my first Porsche so that history isn't there.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
@Masscan I need to live where you live for these discounts! Do you mind sharing the greater market you live or if you shop outside of where you live where you get these prices?

I live in ATL, I ordered a 2020 Turbo and the best I could do was 5% off. I bought a pair of Audi's from the dealership before and stepping up to my first Porsche so that history isn't there.

Cheers!
We live NW of Boston, and we only buy our vehicles new....most of the time they are ordered, a paid off trade is involved, and we pay the residual in cash.

My wife and I have bought our recent vehicles from Jaguar of Norwood MA, Herb Chambers Mercedes Benz in Somerville MA, Mercedes Benz of Burlington MA, Porsche of Norwell MA, and Tulley BMW in Nashua NH.

I've have good luck starting with the internet managers first, then going to the dealerships so they can see my trade....that and I've done all all my homework first before even stepping through their door. I usually know more about the vehicle & options than the salesperson does.

Most of all, I have no problem walking out the door if the numbers don't look good, and they know it. The few times I have walked, I've always received a call the next business day, and I then tell them make it worth my while to come back. There is never any drama involved, no anger, no ego....it's just business, and they have to work to get mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Porsche just seems less flexible than the competition. Protective of the brand, the mystique perhaps. Good for them, I guess. But better deals can be had with the competition. I guess their attitude is the same as their slogan “There is no substitute”. The Stelvio is the closest I found to the Macan in terms of sheer driving excitement, the more Sport than Utility vibe. And the price is dramatically less, and you can get a deal. But there is the 800 lb gorilla, the reliability factor, whether perceived, or real.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Porsche just seems less flexible than the competition. Protective of the brand, the mystique perhaps. Good for them, I guess. But better deals can be had with the competition.
I totally agree. On a whim I just recently shopped a couple Porsche dealerships in my area, and told them I was thinking about trading up to a 2020 Turbo. Both dealerships only offered 2% off MSRP on an ordered vehicle, and both gave the BS story of they had no more Turbo allotments left for the year. Interestingly, both also offered between $57K to $58K for my GTS with only 9,000 miles on it. I'm tempted to try again next month when COVID-19 is in full swing.

According to TrueCar, it's possible to get 10% off MSRP on a BMW XM4 Comp or a Mercedes Benz GLC 63s coupe. Like I stated before here, my wife picks up her ordered 2020 GLC 43 coupe next month, and Herb Chambers in Somerville had no problem taking 10% of the sticker price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good to know and good strategy!

Thanks for the info!

-Ravi

We live NW of Boston, and we only buy our vehicles new....most of the time they are ordered, a paid off trade is involved, and we pay the residual in cash.

My wife and I have bought our recent vehicles from Jaguar of Norwood MA, Herb Chambers Mercedes Benz in Somerville MA, Mercedes Benz of Burlington MA, Porsche of Norwell MA, and Tulley BMW in Nashua NH.

I've have good luck starting with the internet managers first, then going to the dealerships so they can see my trade....that and I've done all all my homework first before even stepping through their door. I usually know more about the vehicle & options than the salesperson does.

Most of all, I have no problem walking out the door if the numbers don't look good, and they know it. The few times I have walked, I've always received a call the next business day, and I then tell them make it worth my while to come back. There is never any drama involved, no anger, no ego....it's just business, and they have to work to get mine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just bought mine in New Hampshire with no sales tax and got 5% off my build price of $97,300 and they threw in a set of winter matts as well

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Cannot you get a lower rate from your friendly local credit union?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Cannot you get a lower rate from your friendly local credit union?
That 1.95% beats my local credit unions.

In Oct. 2017, I got a loan for our ordered '18 S -- we financed about half of it, paid cash for the other half -- at 2.24% APR, for five years, at a big local (Albany, NY, area) credit union, CapCom. That compares with a current rate of 2.75%:

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 5.40.49 PM.png

Our area's largest credit union, SEFCU, currently has a five-year rate of 2.69%:

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 5.42.13 PM.png

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I can get 1.49% from my CU if I go thru truecar.com. There is also a measly $200 cash back offer right now too. Keep in mind this is with direct deposit, auto acct debit and loan in good standing.
That's an interesting deal, if it works for you, with a couple of caveats:

1) I went to truecar.com, and entered zip codes for the east coast, the west coast, and the middle of the country. Seemed like a representative, okay, a tiny, sample, but my fingers got tired.

I checked off the middle, i.e., S and GTS, engine for a Macan. All I got were the GTS and, for some strange reason, the Turbo (even though I had not checked that engine choice). So if you're looking for an S, there seems to be a problem here, at least as my entries were parsed at truecar.com.

2) For all three zip-code entries, the "average discount" was also listed (for the GTS) at "3%." From reading this thread, and from my own experience, that's pretty far from what most folks can accomplish in terms of discounts.

So, your credit union and its relationship with Truecar may be of some benefit, but the overall picture didn't impress me very much. Maybe I'm missing something here -- perhaps I don't really understand how Truecar works -- but to me it still looks like a pretty sweet deal from Porsche.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree when a CU links up with a car shopping website you have to be leery on the price. That is why when I find one using the site I then verify the porsche dealerships inventory. If I was to purchase I wouldn't mention using the site to the dealership till the very end of negotiations to take advantage of the lower CU int rate. That way I'm not setting myself up for them to say in order to receive the discounted int rate thru ur CU you have to pay the truecar price.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I agree when a CU links up with a car shopping website you have to be leery on the price. That is why when I find one using the site I then verify the porsche dealerships inventory. If I was to purchase I wouldn't mention using the site to the dealership till the very end of negotiations to take advantage of the lower CU int rate. That way I'm not setting myself up for them to say in order to receive the discounted int rate thru ur CU you have to pay the truecar price.
Ah, I see. Interesting shopping methodology.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The details of my deal end of March [seems forever ago] was I got 7% off the on the lot 2020 Turbo [allotment swap for a cheaper one on lot]. I decided to finance for 72 mos, I got 3.99% going through the dealership [TD Auto Finance]. For my 2018 Audi S4 trade I got a little less [like $2k] than I hoped but the "tax rebate" you get if you trade-in, in Georgia balanced that out somewhat. My original deal for the ordered 2020 Turbo was 5% off my build so I did a little better. I don't know pandemic aside if I would have gotten more for my 2018 S4 but would be fighting time e.g the car would still depreciate if I waited until May/June vs March.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
If you live anywhere near the 2 PEC's (one in Atlanta, GA and one in Los Angeles, CA) you can order from any dealer in the US and take the PEC delivery.

The best discounts are from FL and GA as I know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Confirmed on 5% today off my incoming GTS build (6/5 at dealer). Was pushing for a little more but they wouldn't budge. I am going to try again when the car actually arrives.
Locking in the "low" MF - in case it goes up in June.

1181 - 1200 of 1241 Posts