Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just ordered the ones From AutoTecknic today. The clear LED have the resistors that help prevent errors. They are expecting a shipment of smoked soon. These too will have resistors. I’m not sure why the resistors were added with a connector and not soldered in place? The lead for the resistor seem pretty long and I’m still trying to figure out if I should secure it or just jam it in somewhere. This will be my second attempt. The last ones I bought were incandescent. Unfortunately, my sockets didn’t fit properly and didn’t seal correctly. This was a lot easier with my Cayenne because there was an OEM part available.
I dropped mine in. There’s a pretty obvious place for them to do so. No rattling that I’ve noticed or any other issues since install. Love the look.

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
20 Posts
I dropped mine in. There’s a pretty obvious place for them to do so. No rattling that I’ve noticed or any other issues since install. Love the look.
Did your sockets attach to the new lamps securely and seal against the gasket? I recently tried another brand but the socket didn’t snug properly. Getting back to the AutoTecknic LED’s, any thoughts on why the resistor pigtail is so long? I’m thinking about using a small cable tie to shorten.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did your sockets attach to the new lamps securely and seal against the gasket? I recently tried another brand but the socket didn’t snug properly. Getting back to the AutoTecknic LED’s, any thoughts on why the resistor piggy tail is so long? I’m thinking about using a small cable tie to shorten.
Sockets fit firmly. I think the pigtails are so long so they do drop properly into that little slot. I think you’ll see what I mean when you do it. It’s been a couple months since I did mine so it’s hard to describe.

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
20 Posts
Sockets fit firmly. I think the pigtails are so long so they do drop properly into that little slot. I think you’ll see what I mean when you do it. It’s been a couple months since I did mine so it’s hard to describe.
I ended up ordering the ones from AutoTecknic. I was told the clear have been modified and that the modified smoked would be available in the next 1-3 weeks. I ordered yesterday morning, but my order hasn’t shipped yet. I was told it would probably ship by the end of the week. I guess their order fulfillment is behind. Anyway, I’ll update you once I get them. BTW, there are various videos out on removing the side markers via three screws in the wheel well. I’m not sure why one would do it that way. There’s an easy method in the manual that doesn’t require removing the cover. It involves the small hole that’s located on the inside of the well near the marker light. Using this method, the old light can be removed in seconds.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I ended up ordering the ones from AutoTecknic. I was told the clear have been modified and that the modified smoked would be available in the next 1-3 weeks. I ordered yesterday morning, but my order hasn’t shipped yet. I was told it would probably ship by the end of the week. I guess their order fulfillment is behind. Anyway, I’ll update you once I get them. BTW, there are various videos out on removing the side markers via three screws in the wheel well. I’m not sure why one would do it that way. There’s an easy method in the manual that doesn’t require removing the cover. It involves the small hole that’s located on the inside of the well near the marker light. Using this method, the old light can be removed in seconds.
If you could post a copy of that manual page or a page number reference that would be great. I tried the removal of the wheel well liner method but could not see the clip to release the light. Even with the wheel turned I could not my fat head in position to see the clip. Wound up having the dealer do it, master mechanic that I am (not).

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
20 Posts
The procedure is on page 126. I’m afraid it’s not very clear. Basically, I took a 4” Allen wrench and inserted it into the small hole inside the liner until it hit the light. Just put a little pressure on it and the light will begin to raise out. You don’t need to force it. It’s about making sure you engage the clip.

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
The procedure is on page 126. I’m afraid it’s not very clear. Basically, I took a 4” Allen wrench and inserted it into the small hole inside the liner until it hit the light. Just put a little pressure on it and the light will begin to raise out. You don’t need to force it. It’s about making sure you engage the clip.
Thanks. There should be many here that will appreciate that tip.

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
20 Posts
There are various videos online that involving removing 2 or 3 torx and peeling back the liner. In reality, this isn’t necessary (or even helpful). The car was designed so the owner should be able to change the bulb easily. The problem is the illustration in the owner’s manual isn’t helpful. A long thin philips, slotted, Allen wrench, etc. will work fine. You can probably make your own “tool” by cutting a wire hanger. The hole in the liner will guide the tool to the side of the clip. Like anything else, it’s easy the second time.

·
Registered
2020 Macan S
13 Posts
There are various videos online that involving removing 2 or 3 torx and peeling back the liner. In reality, this isn’t necessary (or even helpful).
The problem with using the hole in the liner is that you're working blind, especially if it's your first attempt. You can try this method, but I think you'll quickly get frustrated not knowing where you should be applying pressure, or who knows maybe you'll get lucky right away.

On the other hand, if you remove the three torx screws and pull back the liner, you will have a clear line of vision into what you are trying to do with that long screwdriver, and it becomes a quick job.

Just in case anyone might benefit from my write up and photos of the clear LED sidemarker installation:

Both methods can work, I personally just preferred seeing what I was doing so I took the time to peel back the liner. It added maybe 10 minutes to the installation, for both sides combined.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had initially purchased the smoked side lights from Autotecknic and at first received an error message in the dash saying the side marker light was out.....the next day it went away and was good for about a week when it came back and stayed on at that point.....I ended up replacing them with the clear marker lights that had a separate resistor wire attachéd......looks just as good and best of all —-NO error code at all...... I could always plastidip them or tint wrap them if I feel like it.....but I like the way it looks cleared out too...so just may leave it that way

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
20 Posts
I had initially purchased the smoked side lights from Autotecknic and at first received an error message in the dash saying the side marker light was out.....the next day it went away and was good for about a week when it came back and stayed on at that point.....I ended up replacing them with the clear marker lights that had a separate resistor wire attachéd......looks just as good and best of all —-NO error code at all...... I could always plastidip them or tint wrap them if I feel like it.....but I like the way it looks cleared out too...so just may leave it that way
I spoke with Gordon from AutoTecknic. He was extremely helpful. Anyway, they currently only have the clear version with the modified resistor In stock . However, they are expecting their order of modified smoked sometime this month. I was on the fence between clear and smoked, but went with clear. In my case, my car is a chalk GTS and I think either would have worked.

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
20 Posts
Yes, I ordered a set of clear LED side markers for my chalk Macan. They will be delivered Tuesday.

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
20 Posts
The problem with using the hole in the liner is that you're working blind, especially if it's your first attempt. You can try this method, but I think you'll quickly get frustrated not knowing where you should be applying pressure, or who knows maybe you'll get lucky right away.

On the other hand, if you remove the three torx screws and pull back the liner, you will have a clear line of vision into what you are trying to do with that long screwdriver, and it becomes a quick job.

Just in case anyone might benefit from my write up and photos of the clear LED sidemarker installation:

Both methods can work, I personally just preferred seeing what I was doing so I took the time to peel back the liner. It added maybe 10 minutes to the installation, for both sides combined.
I installed the AutoTecknic markers last night. Although I was able to remove the old assembly through the liner is all of 10 seconds, dealing with the pig tail was another story. I ended up needing a better view, so I removed the liner. You were totally correct. I even took your advice and used some clips.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts