Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Taking delivery of my standard White "20 GTS with black Spyders, white side blades and black door handles at the end of this month. I am torn between smoked or clear side markers.

Can I solicit some votes from y'all.

Cheers

·
Registered
392 Posts
Like someone said earlier in this thread if you go with the clear you can always get it tinted darker.

Reactions: SoCalS5

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put double sided tape on the inside of the cavity where the marker light goes. I put the load resistor on that to keep it from flopping about.

·
Registered
392 Posts
This is a picture of the Autotechnic side lights. The unattached pigtails are resistors and just clip into the longer leads. The short leads plug into the Porsche wiring (I'm assuming, haven't done this yet). I was debating whether to heat shrink the resistor connection before installation. Any thoughts or is this over kill?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a picture of the Autotechnic side lights. The unattached pigtails are resistors and just clip into the longer leads. The short leads plug into the Porsche wiring (I'm assuming, haven't done this yet). I was debating whether to heat shrink the resistor connection before installation. Any thoughts or is this over kill?

View attachment 232933
The short leads plug into where the original OEM side marker bulb originally plugs into. Make sure you test the new led lights up before popping the side marker back in, as I first installed with incorrect polarity. :) I just installed mine. They look nice!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, all the Macans through 2021 use the same side marker.

FYI - We moved to the halogen bulb vs LED as some folks were reporting issues with faults, etc. It wasn't widespread but we don't want to offer a product that is going to have potential issues. I can't speak for other LED solutions out there but just wanted to add some insight on why we only offer the halogen ones now. All in all, we felt they look pretty similar lit up and during the day, they look the same. We'd rather have our clients have zero issues so we made the change. At the end of the day, a massive improvement over the ugly orange side markers from the factory!
Not true. The light itself is the same but the electrical connection is different. I ordered these and was unable to install because of the differing connection. Really bummed me out. I'm sure they could have been rigged but I was looking for a plug and play design. I'll wait until true 2020 ones come out.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The short leads plug into where the original OEM side marker bulb originally plugs into. Make sure you test the new led lights up before popping the side marker back in, as I first installed with incorrect polarity. :) I just installed mine. They look nice!
Did you do anything with the dangling resistor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you do anything with the dangling resistor?
After reading the posts, I thought about it, but instead I simply jammed it upwards in the compartment. The whole area is pretty snug, and there is little room for movement of anything once side marker it installed. I jammed it upwards because the side markers are not as flush fitment as the OEM, so there may gaps for water to actually enter once installed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After reading the posts, I thought about it, but instead I simply jammed it upwards in the compartment. The whole area is pretty snug, and there is little room for movement of anything once side marker it installed. I jammed it upwards because the side markers are not as flush fitment as the OEM, so there may gaps for water to actually enter once installed.
Thank you for advising as to potential gaps - I was concerned about water intrusion issues.

·
Supporting Vendor
748 Posts
Not true. The light itself is the same but the electrical connection is different. I ordered these and was unable to install because of the differing connection. Really bummed me out. I'm sure they could have been rigged but I was looking for a plug and play design. I'll wait until true 2020 ones come out.
Ours work on all through 2021, not sure about other vendors.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ours work on all through 2021, not sure about other vendors.
Hey Jon, I really want the smoked side LEDs. Attached is a photo of the conenction in my Macan. Can you verify yours will work? I don't want to order just to return and say on here it doesn't work. In my hand is one from another vendor that you can see will not work

·
Registered
392 Posts
FYI - We moved to the halogen bulb vs LED as some folks were reporting issues with faults, etc. It wasn't widespread but we don't want to offer a product that is going to have potential issues. I can't speak for other LED solutions out there but just wanted to add some insight on why we only offer the halogen ones now. All in all, we felt they look pretty similar lit up and during the day, they look the same. We'd rather have our clients have zero issues so we made the change. At the end of the day, a massive improvement over the ugly orange side markers from the factory!
Hey Jon, I really want the smoked side LEDs. Attached is a photo of the conenction in my Macan. Can you verify yours will work? I don't want to order just to return and say on here it doesn't work. In my hand is one from another vendor that you can see will not work

View attachment 233051
Per Flat6, they are not using LED lights. If you have an LED version that is not working, try reversing the polarity. As opposed to ordinary bulbs, LED lights are polarity sensitive.

Haven't done mine yet. The pictures are helpful to see what the space looks like.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Per Flat6, they are not using LED lights. If you have an LED version that is not working, try reversing the polarity. As opposed to ordinary bulbs, LED lights are polarity sensitive.

Haven't done mine yet. The pictures are helpful to see what the space looks like.
I didn't even get far enough to try reversing polarity. The connections were completely different so it wasn't just plug-in-play so I didn't go further.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I didn't even get far enough to try reversing polarity. The connections were completely different so it wasn't just plug-in-play so I didn't go further.
What brand are you holding in the picture?

The Autotecknic ones that I just bought have a conductor on both sides of the plug. I was thinking that was to facilitate changing the polarity.

·
Supporting Vendor
748 Posts
Our use the factory bulb (we provide DOT approved halogen bulbs if you want them illuminated in amber). They work on all Macans 15-21 but are not LED.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

View attachment 233051
Should work fine. Plug the bulb’s socket back into the car and plug the new light’s wires into the bulb socket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I definitely prefer the LED lights over the OEM bulb. I'll wait until someone figure that out. LED strip looks cooler.

·
Registered
2020 Macan S
234 Posts
I don't get it, the LED version is available in here:

I had these on my car for 8 months and no issue whatsoever. Fit perfectly for my '20 Macan S and no worry about the extra resistors.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts