Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Not sure about the weight of the leather vs microsuede (aka Alcantara) or how much the adjustment mechanism weighs but it's all about the pin holes. The 14/18 way perforated seats could hold umpteen more pounds with all the stuff that can get caught in the pin holes. Heck... I must have at least ten pounds of Starbucks coffee grind particles on my seat alone. >:D

Dang I'm funny :D
You need a genuine Porsche spill-proof beverage container (See June Car and Driver):)

Reactions: WHT TGR

·
Registered
1,294 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thank you, I think I'll have either the partial or full leather, the thing is getting out of budget...
I had a similar dilemma BatukMan!
Initially thought the standard interior looked okay. However I eventually got a chance to see all leather packages side-by-side. There are differences which weren't obvious in pictures, so I strongly recommend you make an effort to see the packages at the dealership. There is a big difference in the texture of the leather vs "leatherette". (Leather has a much smoother, finer texture.

In Australia where the macan is still relatively expensive I felt the standard interior didn't look premium enough. A few friends of mine have CLA45AMGs which retail for the same as a base Macan S, and they have a leatherette dash, upper door trims/handles and leather seats as standard.

Unfortunately the partial option doesn't have the nice stitching on the upper door trim to match the dashboard. If you want that you need to pay for the full leather option.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
@Ectopic

More than €1700 euros to have the stitching on the top of the door trims seems quite a hefty price.
The car I sat in had the full package and everything and every surface you usually touch is covered in good leather but at this point something must be cut from the option list.
The more obvious trades are eye-candy for eye-candy and probably I'll keep the RS Spyder wheels and get the partial leather without the 14-way adjustable seats.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Love me some leather... so this comment is not against leather upgrades, but I can't help but think that of all the options available, the leather ones probably have the highest % of profit for Porsche. I mean, I can get an entire leather sofa for the $1,740 they charge for a few pieces of leather!
A sofa of less than a few thousand dollars is going to be bonded leather - lots of little bits glued together and then uniformly dyed to look like a single piece. You can see it all when it gets old and starts to fall apart.

HQ automotive leather is full grain (pieces cut from a single hide). Entirely different "animal" (pun intended)

Steve

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
@BatuKMan I understand fully I had already completely optioned my car on the configurator before ever seeing it using some of the info found here on the forum. I had no eye candy options. Then when my wife and I finally got to drive/see the Macan at the dealer my wife hated the black side blades so they needed to be painted and we both liked the leather dash ....that visit added $2400 to my build!

·
Registered
64 Posts
@Ectopic

More than €1700 euros to have the stitching on the top of the door trims seems quite a hefty price.
The car I sat in had the full package and everything and every surface you usually touch is covered in good leather but at this point something must be cut from the option list.
The more obvious trades are eye-candy for eye-candy and probably I'll keep the RS Spyder wheels and get the partial leather without the 14-way adjustable seats.
Yes, but don't forget full leather covers the lower part of the doors and dash, and even the backrests of the front seats (?). Alas, keeping it within a sensible budget I agree that compromises have to be made. Perhaps make an effort to see partial and full leather side-by-side on the same day to feel confident about your decision.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well I know I've went over what I should when the options price costs the same a VW Golf with leather seats, parking sensors with rear camera and other goodies.
@ejvette

There is always that possibility, I know in the USA Porsche doesn't give discounts but I think I can get something out of the dealer, so it may ease the pain in my pocket.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Well I know I've went over what I should when the options price costs the same a VW Golf with leather seats, parking sensors with rear camera and other goodies.
@ejvette

There is always that possibility, I know in the USA Porsche doesn't give discounts but I think I can get something out of the dealer, so it may ease the pain in my pocket.

They gave me a nice pen and two cups of Starbucks with my car . I left triumphant :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: BatuKMan

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
I’ve searched the forum archives and was not able to find an answer to a question I have on the differences between the leather options. The descriptions in the configurator are not much help.

What is the difference between “standard interior with leather package” at $0, “leather interior/leather seats” at $2160 and “interior package leather” at $2360?

I’m looking at an agate grey interior (which I would call mink brown). Prices are from the Canadian GTS configurator.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The leather package means that the dashboard, door panels, and center console are not leather. Instead, those surfaces are a vinyl/plastic-like material that you'd find on your average commuter. On the contrary, the leather interior option covers all of the aforementioned surfaces with leather in your interior color. For example, that's why a Garnet Red Leather Interior vs Leather Package, is so much more red

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
@RJE:

1) What @The_Grumpy_Cat said.

2) And I agree that it's very confusing.

In hopes that this sheds a little additional light on the issue, rather than adds even more confusion, note that on our '18 S we spec'ed "VN Leather Interior in Saddle Brown" for USD 3,630. This was back in August 2017, and, yep, I'm aware that the S and the GTS have different levels of standard equipment.

In any case, take a look at my gallery (link in signature block), particularly at the first few and last few pics among those pictures. This may give you an idea of what going almost full tilt on leather encompasses. (I say "almost" because we didn't spec even more leather, e.g., the visors, the steering column, the vents, etc.).

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Here's a thread from 2014:

and here's another from 2015:

and another one from 2015:

and yet another one from 2015:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The leather package means that the dashboard, door panels, and center console are not leather. Instead, those surfaces are a vinyl/plastic-like material that you'd find on your average commuter.
Are vehicles from Mercedes, BMW, and Audi "average commuters" as well since they do the same? Personally, I feel buying the extra leather a waste, and world rather spend that money on performance options. In the two years I owned my 2018 Macan GTS (which was parked outside all the time) with the free "Standard" leather pkg., I never had a problem with it cracking or fading, and I only wiped it occasionally with a dust mitt. Even my 18-way leather topped seats looked new when I traded it in, and I never applied any leather cleaner or conditioner.

On the Macan, opting for the $1,890 leather package (opposed to the $0 "Standard" leather pkg.) does get you additional leather on the lower parts of the doors, lower dash, and the back of the front seats, but if you want the top edge of the dash & doors in leather, well that's an additional $2,230, and if you want the entire top part of the dash in leather, that's an extra $1,800 on top of that.

·
Registered
556 Posts
@Masscan, that is basically what our SA confirmed today. For the GTS:

The $0 option ("Standard Interior with Leather Package / Partial Leather Seats") includes pretty much what it says on the configurator (dashboard upper section, centre console storage compartment lid, seat centres and inner bolsters (front and rear), front side cover of seat headrests (front and rear), door panel armrests and handles.

The $2,150 option ("leather interior/leather seats") also includes pretty much what it says on the configurator (seat centres and inner and outer side bolsters, seat headrests, front seat backrests, upper section of dashboard, lower dashboard including. glove compartment cover, upper doors door sills, centre console side sections, centre console storage compartment lid, upper and lower door paneling including armrests and door handles).

The $2,360 option ("Interior Package Leather") includes what would normally be wood if you order the interior wood option, and is on top of the $2,150 option noted above.

Now my dilemma is do I want to go with the $2,150 option. It was really nice on the loaner we got last week, but do I want to spend the extra beans? "Think ... think ... think ..." as Winnie the Pooh is want to say.

Reactions: SoCalS5

·
Registered
278 Posts
On the Macan, opting for the $1,890 leather package (opposed to the $0 "Standard" leather pkg.) does get you additional leather on the lower parts of the doors, lower dash, and the back of the front seats, but if you want the top edge of the dash & doors in leather, well that's an additional $2,230, and if you want the entire top part of the dash in leather, that's an extra $1,800 on top of that.
Fairly certain there’s more to the full leather interior versus the leather package you have described here. For example the leather interior includes leather for the steering wheel center where the horn buttons are versus plastic.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Fairly certain there’s more to the full leather interior versus the leather package you have described here. For example the leather interior includes leather for the steering wheel center where the horn buttons are versus plastic.
Yes, the difference is substantial. We own one of each. The full leather interior is just so much more luxurious.

The upgrades include the steering wheel center, outer seat bolsters, rear seat headrests, the lower dashboard including the glove box, the center console base, the center console rear, and the lower door panels.

Best thing to do if you were on the fence regarding this issue is to see them back to back where the differences are immedirately iobvious.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts