Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I spoke with these folks. They said the only way to repair it is to remove the dash and recover it since the leather has already shrunk.
What was the quote from that upholstery shop compared to Porsche 6.5 - 7-5K?

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What was the quote from that upholstery shop compared to Porsche 6.5 - 7-5K?
He didn’t give a formal quote but thought his fee to do the recovering part would be around $2k. The way it works is that I would be responsible to remove the dash and ship it to him and then replace the dash once I got it back. If I could find someone qualified to pull the dash, I suspect the costs would be comparable to Porsche.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Removing the dash w/o damaging anything & replacing it correctly w/o ending up with rattles is something I would probably leave to Porsche.

If Porsche quoted you 3K for the entire job & you found a reputable upholstery shop that quoted you 1K, it might be worth the savings to let them have a go.

Insurance does not cover this, right?

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Removing the dash w/o damaging anything & replacing it correctly w/o ending up with rattles is something I would probably leave to Porsche.

If Porsche quoted you 3K for the entire job & you found a reputable upholstery shop that quoted you 1K, it might be worth the savings to let them have a go.

Insurance does not cover this, right?
Porsche wanted $6.5K-$7.5k, insurance doesn’t cover it.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
6.5-7.5K seems outrageous!

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
6.5-7.5K seems outrageous!
I'm not sure the Porsche quote is all that high given the amount of work that needs to happen. I assumed a couple days to remove the dash, couple more to put it in, and the cost of the pad and fitting it over the dash. At their rates you get close to what they quoted me. I wouldn't trust anyone else to do it unless it was a specialty shop had done it before, so I'm sure there is a premium built into it.

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have an even better question......where did you find a 2015 Turbo with ONLY 7800 miles on the odometer......?!?
Look at Autotrader, I've run across a number of low mile Macans, not sure why that's a surprise? In fact I test drove a certified one owner 2016 with 9k miles at a local dealer a week ago. I passed on it since it didn't have AS, thought it would be ok but really didn't have the same ride as AS IMHO. I know that's been debated on this forum so I don't want to get into it.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Can I assume a windshield shade will prevent this from happening? Want to do everything possible to protect my new baby.
We all are hoping it does not happen to our Macans.

I would also periodically clean & condition the leather, including dashboard leather, with a quality product.

Some have tinted their windshield with a clear or almost clear tint to stop most of the UV radiation.

I have not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all, so I had a similar experience with my 2017 GTS where the dash is separating (pics attached). I just picked up my Macan from a 30-day stay at my local Porsche dealership to solve the dreaded timing chain cover leak issue (I will post an update on that thread when I get some time, but happy to say it was resolved just before my factory warranty expired on 8/1).

As background, the repair for the oil leak took them about 6 business days, but I was planning to be out of town so I dropped off my Macan before leaving town so they'd have the vehicle when they were ready to start the repairs. The day after picking it up I happened to run my hand over the dash to wipe away some dust and noticed that the dash was lifted. I immediately called my service advisor and have an appointment on Monday for them to look at it. We had some really hot days here in Indiana over the last month and while they had my car it was sitting in bullpen in the direct sun, so I am guessing the heat is what caused the adhesive to give while it sat. That said, in my opinion it should have never happened. My advisor said he'd have to get his manager involved to document and take pics of the issue and send off to Porsche. Fingers crossed they fix this as I can't imagine a $6-7k out of pocket expense to solve something that shouldn't have ever happened.
IMG_2005.JPG
IMG_2006.JPG
IMG_2004.JPG

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Sorry to hear it's happening to you, it's identical to the problem I had. What I don't understand is how Porsche USA claims they've never seen it yet I've found it on 4 vehicles so far and now you have it. The solution Porsche provided me was to pull and recover the dash. If your car is still under warrantee you're good, but this could severely impact these cars as they age. Really unfortunate, don't see how they could have made such a engineering mistake to expect glue would hold it down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to hear it's happening to you, it's identical to the problem I had. What I don't understand is how Porsche USA claims they've never seen it yet I've found it on 4 vehicles so far and now you have it. The solution Porsche provided me was to pull and recover the dash. If your car is still under warrantee you're good, but this could severely impact these cars as they age. Really unfortunate, don't see how they could have made such a engineering mistake to expect glue would hold it down.
Thank you! Unfortunately my warranty expired on 8/1 so my advisor said he'd have to get his manager involved, document and send to Porsche and I have an appointment to take it in on Monday. At this point, it's a wait and see game, but will update this post as I learn more.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Thank you! Unfortunately my warranty expired on 8/1 so my advisor said he'd have to get his manager involved, document and send to Porsche and I have an appointment to take it in on Monday. At this point, it's a wait and see game, but will update this post as I learn more.
Wow that is awful!!! I hope it gets resolve to your satisfaction. Now you guys are getting me paranoid about my dash..

John

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Seems like it happened b4 8-1-2020, during the 30 days they parked it in direct sunlight.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I’ve got 2017 with a leather dash and will need to keep an eye on this. Sounds like something that could easily be missed from the interior point of view. Might be worth putting UV protection on the dash leather. At least I still have 3 1/2 years on the CPO warranty. Anyone who parks in the sun a fair amount should probably get a dash shade.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts