Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. I have a 2015 Macan Turbo and noticed the leading edge of the leather dash is separating at the seam to the main dash. Looks like the leather has shrunk and the glue has failed to keep it attached. Anyone have this happen? Any ideas if and how it can be repaired?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've seen this happen on other Porsches with the leather dash over time unfortunately. Do you keep the car outside in the sun a lot? The heat and sun is brutal on the leather surface. I've seen 140+ degrees on a remote thermometer pointed at it. I religiously use a windshield shade on the dash if I know I'll be parked for an extended time in the sun. Make sure to clean and condition the leather once a year as well.

Once it has shrunk and separated, I don't think much can be done outside of replacement. Check with your local PCA chapter to see if there are any upholstery repair places near you and get an opinion from them to see if it can be glued back down.

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
.....Anyone have this happen?.....
This is the first time I can recall a member reporting this issue on their Macan. Sorry to hear about it.

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got the car, didn’t catch it until after I got it home. Only 7900 miles, never would have expected it, was focused on everything else. Will discuss options with the seller but not sure how productive that will be. Was hoping it was a common problem, something easily fixed. I’ll have to talk to the Porsche dealer to see what solutions there are short of an entire new dash. Given the leather looks to have shrunk I would think a new part would be required. No idea if they sell just the leading edge part. Might require pulling the dash to install it. What a pain.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Just got the car, didn’t catch it until after I got it home. Only 7900 miles, never would have expected it, was focused on everything else. Will discuss options with the seller but not sure how productive that will be. Was hoping it was a common problem, something easily fixed. I’ll have to talk to the Porsche dealer to see what solutions there are short of an entire new dash. Given the leather looks to have shrunk I would think a new part would be required. No idea if they sell just the leading edge part. Might require pulling the dash to install it. What a pain.
Well, you are welcome anyway despite your dash.

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on my problem. I presented the issue to the local Porsche dealer. They worked with NA corporate to sort out what happened and what can be done to resolve it. First, they have never seen this problem, don’t believe it was caused by sun or cabin heat. They could only speculate about how it could have happened but said it should never separate like it did. They believe a patch had been attempted by gluing the leather strip back onto to the dash panel but the only way to fix it would to install a new dash pad. That would require a special order, 2+ months time, and cost between $6.5k to $7.5k, maybe more if they find other things related to the problem. Essentially the dash needs to come out, recovered, and reinstalled. Ugh, pretty much what I thought once I fully realized the extent of the problem.

Good news, bad news. The dealer who sold me the car, took it back. I won’t mention their name because while I truly appreciate their integrity to stand behind their cars and honestly think they missed it given how quick these cars sell once they are offloaded from the truck, it really never should have gotten to the point where they told me the car was perfect (as in zero defects) and had me travel a great distance to pick it up. The bad news... for about a day I had an awesome Macan Turbo in killer colors and options, at what appeared to be a great price, and I’m crushed I had to give it back.

Once I get over the disappointment I’ll bounce back and am determined to find another one in short order. They are really sweet cars! I’ll report back once that happens.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Update on my problem. I presented the issue to the local Porsche dealer. They worked with NA corporate to sort out what happened and what can be done to resolve it. First, they have never seen this problem, don’t believe it was caused by sun or cabin heat. They could only speculate about how it could have happened but said it should never separate like it did. They believe a patch had been attempted by gluing the leather strip back onto to the dash panel but the only way to fix it would to install a new dash pad. That would require a special order, 2+ months time, and cost between $6.5k to $7.5k, maybe more if they find other things related to the problem. Essentially the dash needs to come out, recovered, and reinstalled. Ugh, pretty much what I thought once I fully realized the extent of the problem.

Good news, bad news. The dealer who sold me the car, took it back. I won’t mention their name because while I truly appreciate their integrity to stand behind their cars and honestly think they missed it given how quick these cars sell once they are offloaded from the truck, it really never should have gotten to the point where they told me the car was perfect (as in zero defects) and had me travel a great distance to pick it up. The bad news... for about a day I had an awesome Macan Turbo in killer colors and options, at what appeared to be a great price, and I’m crushed I had to give it back.

Once I get over the disappointment I’ll bounce back and am determined to find another one in short order. They are really sweet cars! I’ll report back once that happens.
What do you mean? Wouldn't the dealer just swap cars with you? What a dastardly moment you encountered. At the very least they ought to give you some sort of a loaner until you can replace this cow failed auto.

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you mean? Wouldn't the dealer just swap cars with you?
The car I bought wasn’t under a Porsche factory warranty, it was a 2015 with 7800 mi. So if the dealer fixed it, they’d be paying for it. They did what was in their best interest, maintain their reputation by unwinding the transaction and most likely push the car to auction and move on or maybe lower the price a bit and warn people about the issue. They’ll end up with little to no costs on their end, pretty easy decision. As I stated in my previous post, I’m bummed I don’t have the car but happy I found the problem early enough to not end up with a high $ problem.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
@BMS I’m so sorry this happened. Its great that the dealer took it back and gave you your money but sucks that you are out of a Macan that you really liked. Yes it was a blessing that you caught this early on. I hope the dealer gave you something since you had to travel to go pick it up. Fingers crossed that you find your next Macan soon.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
This is the first time I can recall a member reporting this issue on their Macan. Sorry to hear about it.
Yeah, I have never heard of this either, and it definitely would have grabbed my attention as I have the Extended Leather Package. Given that, I also religiously use a windshield shade to protect the leather as it has to be quite vulnerable.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Same here never heard of this before. From personal experience with my 11 years old 997.2 with full leather dash it still looks new like I pick it up in 2009. Like Shark I use sunshade in the summer, granted Buffalo summer isn’t like Arizona’s. I won’t be surprised it was damaged by the previous owner and a failed attempt at the repair. It would be interesting to see the photo of the damaged area.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: I've been looking for a replacement for the one mentioned above. So far I've seen 3 others that have the same problem as the one I tried to buy. Attached are pictures of some of them. The first one is the car I bought, second one of a 2017 at the Porsche dealer earlier today, and the third on on Autotrader that shows the view from the front. Sorry I didn't take a close up of the one I had so you see exactly the extent of the problem but you can perhaps see it best in the first photo. The leather strip on the leading edge separates from the base part of the dash. The one I bought had a previous repair where they attempted to glue to back to the base but it failed, was partially separated on both sides of the instrument cluster up to the clock and you could see the glue along the entire seam. The last picture shows what it looks like from the driver view. The leather pad shrinks and twists reducing the curvature of the instrument cluster. The gap in that area is large enough to put multiple fingers into it and who knows how bad it ultimately gets.

So what do you all make of this? Seems like Porsche's claim that they've never seen it before it a bit harder to accept although you folks haven't seen it either. Given I've found multiple ones in the last day, I think its safe to say it's a more common problem that you might have previously thought. I have to believe there are a lot more out there. Secondly I suspect its safe to say it's due to heat/sun exposure, the leather shrinks and pulls/breaks the leather strip from the dash. It apparently isn't limited to early Macan years given a 2017 had the problem.. If I knew it wouldn't get worse over time, I might find it acceptable if the price was low enough. But the only thing I do know is the only way to fix it is to recover the dash and that's a huge number.

Please don't take this as I'm being critical of all your lovely cars, I've LOVE the car and it won't deter me one bit from buying one... just a bizarre issue that one needs to look out for.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Just took these photos for comparison.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts

Reactions: BMS

·
Premium Member
780 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
It would have been useful to know what a quality upholstery shop quoted you for a fix. Would they also have said you must remove the dash & recover it? My guess is that is what Porsche would have done, sent it out & charged a premium over what the upholstery shop charged them.

The separation seems most visible/obvious when viewing it from outside, through windshield. Still very annoying.
I wonder if it could be somehow "patched" without removing the entire dash? Just replace the piece of leather from the split to the windshield? That may be what Porsche would have done but still need to remove entire dash?

A couple of estimates from high quality upholstery shops would be useful.

I also wonder if this is related to a specific model year &/or leather option package? Mid leather? Full Leather?
Also garaged or not & parked in sun w/o sunshade often?

Leather treatment (conditioner) regularly or none?

I hope my MY2016 is protected from this by being garaged & I always use sunshade when parked & do clean & condition leather 1x/year.

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would have been useful to know what a quality upholstery shop quoted you for a fix. Would they also have said you must remove the dash & recover it? My guess is that is what Porsche would have done, sent it out & charged a premium over what the upholstery shop charged them.

The separation seems most visible/obvious when viewing it from outside, through windshield. Still very annoying.
I wonder if it could be somehow "patched" without removing the entire dash? Just replace the piece of leather from the split to the windshield? That may be what Porsche would have done but still need to remove entire dash?

A couple of estimates from high quality upholstery shops would be useful.

I also wonder if this is related to a specific model year &/or leather option package? Mid leather? Full Leather?
Also garaged or not & parked in sun w/o sunshade often?

Leather treatment (conditioner) regularly or none?

I hope my MY2016 is protected from this by being garaged & I always use sunshade when parked & do clean & condition leather 1x/year.
I spoke with these folks. They said the only way to repair it is to remove the dash and recover it since the leather has already shrunk.

·
Registered
2017 Macan S in Sapphire Blue, 2014 Panamera 4S in Dark Blue Metallic
9 Posts
Checked mine... 2017 (late 2016 build), 50k miles, leather dash, no issue. Use the Porsche sunscreen religiously, even in Maryland

1 - 20 of 37 Posts