Porsche Macan Forum banner

Leather and Leather Dash Care?

83K views 164 replies 10 participants last post by  vanmacandriver 
#1 ·
Leather levels was one of my toughest options to choose. I wanted leather seats and, more so, armrests, but I was worried about a leather dash.

I don't really know much about "smooth finish" leather, as described by Porsche, except what I experienced in other models. I am interested in learning more about caring for the dash, especially in my sunny, very arid, mild climate that can have extremes of hot/cold.

I've read online one should condition (using natural conditions) the leather at least monthly, one should consider getting window glass protection, including a clear "tint" on the windshield, and use a windshield sun block.

Advice is most appreciated!

#2 ·
Vac with horse hair, then wipe down with damp cloth. Black leather should never get bad enough to need a chemical clean. Friend has my 98 A4, seats are mint, other than some creases from 16 years of use. Back seat is like new.

I think light leather may need a cleaning at times though. Another reason to go black.

#3 ·
This will be my first car with a leather dash. Doing research for other detailing, I've come to the conclusion that the dash will need to be wiped with a good leather treatment w/ UV protectant roughly the same time you wax the car. (90 days).

I try to use sun blocks to keep the harsh UV off everything else in the car, and will continue to do so on my Macan.

#4 · (Edited)
Cows live outside for years without any products on their skin.

Either way, my stuff is mint (26 years on the sofa, and 16 years on the Car). Very little uv gets through todays windows. Its like spf 60.

If you have a soiled problem area, then the game changes to removal methods.

I bet the manual says damp cloth, but we'll need verification on that.

#5 ·
Yes they do. They are also alive and constantly shedding cells and have hair protecting their skin. :p But anyway, a light cleaner/conditioner whenever you clean the interior thoroughly (one a month or so) won't hurt. Personally I like Mequires's gold although some folks will probably says it's low end stuff. I use it on my shoes too !

Just don't wipe or spray anything directly into the seat perforations.

#6 ·
The good to know app has info about cleaning the leather. Basically wipe regularly with a soft damp white woolen cloth or microfibre cloth. For heavy 'contamination' (not water or moisture stains) use a leather cleaner. There are also some notes about the venitlated seats and water/moisture marks and alcantara as expected.

#7 ·
I recommend the Swissvax Leather Glaze. It really protect the leather from color transferring, especially from jeans.

I applied it on my new Macan S Espresso Leather when I picked it up from the dealer - actually I did applied it at the dealer before I brought it home :)

It has no smell and non glossy.

I always use Zymol Leather Cleaner and Leather Treat for cleaning and conditioning on all my cars ('15 Autobiography RR, '14 CaymanS and '12 Cayenne S + new Macan S).

I like the smell of the Zymol Treat, they really gives you that rich Italian leather aroma.

Zymol Leather Cleaner is a champ, in my experience with other brands (swissvax and macguire), ZLC is the cleanest, non abrasive, and has that soft touch feel - I think because it's an olive oil base cleaner.

#8 ·
Thanks for your input. Just out of curiosity what exterior colour did you go with the Espresso interior?

#9 ·
Could you please describe how the Espresso feels? Maybe some detailed pictures as well?

Mine will be transported from the port to the local Porsche service center tomorrow (hopefully) and I may be more hungry for details than I should. Tick tock...

#10 ·
I use Leatherique products on car leather as well as furniture. I use both the conditioner (called Rejuvinator) and the cleaner. I plan to use it on the Macan's Espresso interior this weekend for the first time.

I've used it on the leather in my cars about every six months ever since I was introduced to it about six years ago.

#12 ·
I was cleaning/sorting out my collection of polishes, waxes etc the other day after waxing my 40' bus and noticed there's not much upholstery stuff, just an old tin of conditioner and some leather wipes (my wife really likes them) In the past I've not put anything on a new leather interior as I find they are pretty good right from factory but I do see more surface cracks/creases on a lot of new vehicles these days. Are you guys putting anything on the new leather when you get the car ? I read a comment a while back about using products from a farm supply (horse tack) and it's not the first time I've heard that. Makes perfect sense to me as they take good care of their leather products. Do any of you use those products ? I think saddle soap is more of a cleaner, what are you guys using ?

Reactions: BrianF
#15 ·
I am thinking along those lines too, saddle soap being more of a cleaner for grubby, well used horse saddles and tack. The farm supply place where I get my dog supplies has a plethora of products but I've never really looked at them. I am not against using good quality products, there is just so much junk on the shelves at the auto stores these days and I feel a lot of it is about making it look "shiny" as opposed to enhancing the durability and I don't think price is a reliable indicator. I would like to get a good leather food/conditioner product to help enhance,preserve and protect.

#16 ·
I've been using Griots leather care (after Grim recommended it). I kinda feel like a broken record saying Griots...Griots.....Griots.... lol Sorry, just got done sniffing my detailing cabinet.

It goes on easy, dries to a satin finish. Smells like leather, looks like leather. Over wipe areas dry to a satin and you can tell you went too far.

Reactions: Terra33
#17 ·
As a professional, I would recommend Leatherique Prestine Clean. Anything else is quite frankly not worth experimenting with. I say that only because there are in fact hundreds of DIY leather care products and some react well on certain leather finished while others leave streaks or even worse, a shine. Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvenation oil is by far the best leather product on the market.

Word to the wise: it is not cheap. It's very easy to use. If you need assistance on how to use it, feel free to contact me or check my blog out. I'm not a salesperson for it. I'm a professional detailer who has burned through large amounts of capital in product testing.

#18 ·
#19 ·
I've always used Lexol. Been on the market as far back as I can remember (over 50 years?) and has always done a great job keeping the leather in my cars supple and crack free for at least 15 to 20 years. It was recommended to me years ago by someone that worked on Rolls, Bentleys and Jags, so I figured if it was good enough for those cars, it was good enough for me. I also use it on my leather home furniture.

Doesn't smell as 'pretty' as many of the new products, but I've always found it works great!

#21 ·
How do you keep the cleaners and conditioners from plugging up the vent holes in the seats? I used Mothers Leather Cream on my previous cars, but this is my first car with ventilated seats, and I don't want to ruin them.

#24 ·
I've had good results with the Zaino leather conditioner. Smells great too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#25 ·
Leather care answer: Your car is new, the leather doesn't need you messing with it for quite a while.

#33 ·
+1 for the lexol.I always get great results on the three Family cars with leather interiors.

#34 ·
Hey AD: At one time, there was a suspicion that leather conditioners applied to seats in older 911s (G-Series, 964s, 993s or 995s) caused the leather to stretch or sag, like in the 2nd photo in this link :

1998 Porsche 993 Carrera Cabriolet for sale

Any concerns about the hides used in current Porsche seats or the Leatherique products causing this?

TIA.

#36 ·
Hey AD: At one time, there was a suspicion that leather conditioners applied to seats in older 911s (G-Series, 964s, 993s or 995s) caused the leather to stretch or sag, like in the 3rd photo in this link :

1998 Porsche 993 Carrera Cabriolet for sale

Any concerns about the hides used in current Porsche seats or the Leatherique products causing this?

TIA.
Ironically, I just did a 993 Carrera S using the Leatherique system. I can't speak on other cleaners and conditioners, but leatherique has proven effective on all leather, old and new without adverse effects.

New leather is completely different now. The process is entirely different now and as a result I stick with Leatherique. It works well with synthetic and real leather. Although I stay away from using the oil on synthetic leather.

I did an Audi Q5 which had synthetic and the owner insisted on the oil rejuvenation. It worked very well in this case but I haven't tested it much on other synthetic leather surfaces.

The best thing I've found about Learherique product is that they are strictly what they say they are. Prestine Clean ONLY cleans. The Rejuvenation Oil, only conditions and moisturizes. No fillers or gunk to deal with. I use Dr. Beasley's after using both of these products to provide a hydrophobic layer of protection.

I hope that answers your question.

#37 ·
Yes! thanks.

#38 ·
Word to the wise: it is not cheap. It's very easy to use. If you need assistance on how to use it, feel free to contact me or check my blog out. I'm not a salesperson for it. I'm a professional detailer who has burned through large amounts of capital in product testing.[/QUOTE]

I've used this for years, but only to restore bad leather. Never used it to clean new leather.
Where can I see your BLOG ??

#39 ·
Word to the wise: it is not cheap. It's very easy to use. If you need assistance on how to use it, feel free to contact me or check my blog out. I'm not a salesperson for it. I'm a professional detailer who has burned through large amounts of capital in product testing.
I've used this for years, but only to restore bad leather. Never used it to clean new leather.
Where can I see your BLOG ??[/QUOTE]

It works very well on all leather. You can review my blog at: http://aestheticdetail.com/?page_id=255

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.