Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning/sorting out my collection of polishes, waxes etc the other day after waxing my 40' bus and noticed there's not much upholstery stuff, just an old tin of conditioner and some leather wipes (my wife really likes them) In the past I've not put anything on a new leather interior as I find they are pretty good right from factory but I do see more surface cracks/creases on a lot of new vehicles these days. Are you guys putting anything on the new leather when you get the car ? I read a comment a while back about using products from a farm supply (horse tack) and it's not the first time I've heard that. Makes perfect sense to me as they take good care of their leather products. Do any of you use those products ? I think saddle soap is more of a cleaner, what are you guys using ?

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
Saddle soap to me is for ball gloves and. . .saddles. It doesn't condition all that well. I use Mequires gold class, not expensive and it really brought out some lustre on my 18 ways and the trim pieces.

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
It's expensive, but Wolfgang Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. It is great stuff. That's if you don't want to get something high end. It's great stuff for auto enthusiasts.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saddle soap to me is for ball gloves and. . .saddles. It doesn't condition all that well. I use Mequires gold class, not expensive and it really brought out some lustre on my 18 ways and the trim pieces.
I am thinking along those lines too, saddle soap being more of a cleaner for grubby, well used horse saddles and tack. The farm supply place where I get my dog supplies has a plethora of products but I've never really looked at them. I am not against using good quality products, there is just so much junk on the shelves at the auto stores these days and I feel a lot of it is about making it look "shiny" as opposed to enhancing the durability and I don't think price is a reliable indicator. I would like to get a good leather food/conditioner product to help enhance,preserve and protect.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I've been using Griots leather care (after Grim recommended it). I kinda feel like a broken record saying Griots...Griots.....Griots.... lol Sorry, just got done sniffing my detailing cabinet.

It goes on easy, dries to a satin finish. Smells like leather, looks like leather. Over wipe areas dry to a satin and you can tell you went too far.

Reactions: Terra33

·
Registered
90 Posts
As a professional, I would recommend Leatherique Prestine Clean. Anything else is quite frankly not worth experimenting with. I say that only because there are in fact hundreds of DIY leather care products and some react well on certain leather finished while others leave streaks or even worse, a shine. Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvenation oil is by far the best leather product on the market.

Word to the wise: it is not cheap. It's very easy to use. If you need assistance on how to use it, feel free to contact me or check my blog out. I'm not a salesperson for it. I'm a professional detailer who has burned through large amounts of capital in product testing.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I've always used Lexol. Been on the market as far back as I can remember (over 50 years?) and has always done a great job keeping the leather in my cars supple and crack free for at least 15 to 20 years. It was recommended to me years ago by someone that worked on Rolls, Bentleys and Jags, so I figured if it was good enough for those cars, it was good enough for me. I also use it on my leather home furniture.

Doesn't smell as 'pretty' as many of the new products, but I've always found it works great!

·
Registered
129 Posts
As a professional, I would recommend Leatherique Prestine Clean. Anything else is quite frankly not worth experimenting with. I say that only because there are in fact hundreds of DIY leather care products and some react well on certain leather finished while others leave streaks or even worse, a shine. Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvenation oil is by far the best leather product on the market.

Word to the wise: it is not cheap. It's very easy to use. If you need assistance on how to use it, feel free to contact me or check my blog out. I'm not a salesperson for it. I'm a professional detailer who has burned through large amounts of capital in product testing.
Just read the reviews... very impressive....Leatherique Prestine Clean Leather Cleaner

·
Registered
62 Posts
How do you keep the cleaners and conditioners from plugging up the vent holes in the seats? I used Mothers Leather Cream on my previous cars, but this is my first car with ventilated seats, and I don't want to ruin them.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I've had good results with the Zaino leather conditioner. Smells great too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
781 Posts
Leather care answer: Your car is new, the leather doesn't need you messing with it for quite a while.

·
Registered
145 Posts

Can the Leatherique Pristine Clean be used by itself on new/clean leather? or must it always be used with the Leatherique Rejuvenating Oil? Does the Pristine Clean provide any conditioning/protection to the leather?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can the Leatherique Pristine Clean be used by itself on new/clean leather? or must it always be used with the Leatherique Rejuvenating Oil? Does the Pristine Clean provide any conditioning/protection to the leather?

Yes, Prestine Clean can be used by itself. It does not provide any conditioning or protection. It's a balanced cleaner that doesn't damage the leather. For conditioning the oil is key. For protection I use Dr. Bradley's Leather Lock.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes, Prestine Clean can be used by itself. It does not provide any conditioning or protection. It's a balanced cleaner that doesn't damage the leather. For conditioning the oil is key. For protection I use Dr. Bradley's Leather Lock.

@AesteticDetail thank you. Visited your site and I like your work. :)

How often should you:

1. Protect (every year?)
2. Condition (every 6 months?)
3. Clean (every month?)

Since leather is new, can we do away with protecting and conditioning? Looking for the an easy way to do this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
@AesteticDetail thank you. Visited your site and I like your work. :)

How often should you:

1. Protect (every year?)
2. Condition (every 6 months?)
3. Clean (every month?)

Since leather is new, can we do away with protecting and conditioning? Looking for the an easy way to do this.
Thank you for visiting! I appreciate your compliments!

Protect: 6 Months
Condition: As Needed, if you start to see creases starting to form, condition your leather. If you live in a climate that varies, like Chicago, leather maintenance is more regular than not.
Clean: As Needed. I clean my leather once a month. I also drive A LOT. My seat gets a lot of wear. It's all relative.

How can you tell your leather needs work?
Creases, parts of the leather starting to shine, and the leather hardening.

Word to the wise: Leather is NOT supposed to shine. :)

CORRECTION: Dr. Beasley's Leather Lock, not Bradley.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thank you for visiting! I appreciate your compliments!

Protect: 6 Months

Condition: As Needed, if you start to see creases starting to form, condition your leather. If you live in a climate that varies, like Chicago, leather maintenance is more regular than not.

Clean: As Needed. I clean my leather once a month. I also drive A LOT. My seat gets a lot of wear. It's all relative.

How can you tell your leather needs work?

Creases, parts of the leather starting to shine, and the leather hardening.

Word to the wise: Leather is NOT supposed to shine. :)

CORRECTION: Dr. Beasley's Leather Lock, not Bradley.

Thank you for sharing your experience and expertise. You've been very generous I'm sure it will further support and bring more success to your business.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts