Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me when I see this kind of stuff either. I am that guy that parks as far as away as possible from others and time and time again someone will do this. It drives me insane. Or even when it’s not at all about my car, but when I see a behemoth of a vehicle squeezing into that small closest spot to the store (barely touching the cars on both sides of it) when 15 feet behind them there is an entire empty parking lot. Maddening. My wife teases me as I rant about this topic all the time. I dunno, maybe I am nuts but I just don’t get the mindset of people.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yesterday I parked in an open area in front of an espresso bar and grabbed my cappuccino. A minute later a subaru pulls up behind my car, passenger leaves the vehicle and guides the driver to park right behind my Porsche, working as a parking assist. I guess that's psychology.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
797 Posts
I always park in an end spot when I can to give me a buffer. I basically have a designated parking spot at the golf course as I play early. I notice that frequently the cars that park next to me are nicer cars. When the 911 gets parked next to my Macan I assume that’s him saying “I trust you“.

parking at the baseball games has been my biggest challenge. I just park like a mile away figuring no one will want to walk that far.

·
Super Moderator
10,093 Posts
Went to hit some golf balls this morning and
You mean I was right? :unsure: 7.5 years ago?

"1. Porsches attract “clustering”

Especially when new, you might tend to park far away from others in public lots. It won’t matter how far you park from others. When you collect your car, someone will be parked next to it. It could be an expensive vehicle, in which case it’s known as “clustering”. They figure you will respect their car as they respect yours. No door dings there. It could be a beater. You can figure out what that is called."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Every time I park my wife has to comment on my parking job…..”you’re not centered” “you’re too close to the car beside you”…..whatever. I always tell her it doesn’t matter how “centered” I am, it’s the idiot parking next to me that makes the difference.

And yes, I always try to park on an end space or away from other cars. Wife understands that and doesn’t mind a little walk.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Porsche has a magnet to attract other cars around. No matter how far I park, there is always someone that decides to stay close to my lonely Macan. Now, I also see that nice cars like to park next to nice cars. This was last weekend at my local Costco. I came back and my tiger had a horse next it. :)

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
If spots are tight I park next to nice cars too. My assumption is nice car owner won't ding me.
I love places like Costco that have very generous parking spaces. Look at my picture above, it is way far from the other cars next to you.

Reactions: JRB and wspollack

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love places like Costco that have very generous parking spaces. Look at my picture above, it is way far from the other cars next to you.
My experience has been it doesn’t matter how wide the space or how well you have parked….some idiot will snug up next to your car. Sometime on purpose and sometime they’re oblivious.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me when I see this kind of stuff either. I am that guy that parks as far as away as possible from others and time and time again someone will do this. It drives me insane. Or even when it’s not at all about my car, but when I see a behemoth of a vehicle squeezing into that small closest spot to the store (barely touching the cars on both sides of it) when 15 feet behind them there is an entire empty parking lot.
And that's exactly why they purposely do it....spite.

Ever seen the first episode of "The Unicorn" when the main character Wade goes out on his first date a year after his wife pasted? Some people just hate pretentious Porsche owners....

It’s time…
He is getting ready to go on one of his dates and his friends are helping him. They suggest taking off his wedding ring, but he doesn’t think it will come off. He does eventually get it off and he goes on his date with Danielle.

Unfortunately, it is one of the first things she sees and tells him that she doesn’t date cheaters.

The Unicorn CBS

Danielle: You don’t drive a Porsche, do you?

Wade: I drive a dirty pickup.

Danielle:
God, you’re hot

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
My experience has been it doesn’t matter how wide the space or how well you have parked….some idiot will snug up next to your car. Sometime on purpose and sometime they’re oblivious.
Agree but having that double line between parking spaces helps a lot. A few upscale grocery stores here are now following Costco and repainting their parking lot.

·
Registered
957 Posts
We live in amazing times . . . when I started we used to buy 3/4 ton 4 speed 350 CI Chevrolet K20 4WD for about $2,500 each

Now . . back to that parking topic !

:)_

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
View attachment 244316

It's an epidemic . . . even in the darn driveway

View attachment 244317

For fun . . guess which is the least expensive vehicle in the photo?
I used to work for an agricultural company so you can imagine that most of the employees had pickup trucks. The parking lot was full of Dodge Rams, Ford F150/250/350, Chevy Silverado, etc... But not the basic ones. They all had all bells and whistles (it looks like that if you have a pickup truck it has to be the top model) so they all cost way more than my poor Macan S. But guess what? They all thought I had the most expensive car in the parking lot. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Thunder

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo PP, 2013 911S manual, 1991 C4 Coupe
165 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me when I see this kind of stuff either. I am that guy that parks as far as away as possible from others and time and time again someone will do this. It drives me insane. Or even when it’s not at all about my car, but when I see a behemoth of a vehicle squeezing into that small closest spot to the store (barely touching the cars on both sides of it) when 15 feet behind them there is an entire empty parking lot. Maddening. My wife teases me as I rant about this topic all the time. I dunno, maybe I am nuts but I just don’t get the mindset of people.
I could rant about this all day long, any day!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Usually someone who hates their own life choices. Looks like it's the M3 driver is going to have a tough time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts