Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
The S really has to get up into the revs and boost to get moving. It's does feel boggy getting off the line but the surge is great.
Yes, that square bore and stroke loves the higher revs. Having gotten well past the break-in period, I've discovered that driving in Sport all the time is FAR more satisfying than with Sport off, and I sometimes find myself downshifting manually one or two gears and putting my foot into the throttle to get brisk acceleration (say, from 50 to 80 or 30 to 60). It's not a dragster off the line, but it will move really briskly from a lower speed to a higher speed if you use the engine the way it's intended to be driven.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Two things will help.
(1) TC off, as others mentioned
(2) suspension in softest setting (if you have PASM).

Soft suspension prevents wheel hop. Probably not such a big deal in AWD cars, but you did ask...

It's not a dragster, but does very well from a rolling start. My 6sp 2014 Cayman S is faster, but there's a lot more noise and drama with dumping the clutch to get those times.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Found this interesting article on Edmunds that seems to indicate a launch control mode without having SC. I didn't think this was possible. Can anyone without SC confirm what's posted in the Edmunds article?
With PSM off, PDK in manual and in sport mode, foot on the brake, rev's did not seem to climb to 3500 with some throttle application (but I didn't try flooring the throttle and taking the foot off the brake).

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wonder if the diesel launches much faster than the petrol S, due to its massive torque available at low RPMs? Does anyone know where to find 0-60 times w/ splits (e.g. 0-10, 10-20, etc.) for the different Macan variants?
Have not seen an answer to this yet. While a very 'dry' and sober review of vehicles, unlike many car magazines, I find this to be the best review in driveline and acceleration times for the macan...

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/macan/

Hope this helps, and drive happy!:D

Reactions: Curtman118

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was wondering how to launch my Macan from a stop, it just seems to fall on its face for a second until it gets going. I tried applying the brake and bringing the revs up but the car just stands still for a second as if the brakes are locked up. I do not have the Sports Chrono package and understand it does not have launch control.Is there a good way to get out of the hole quickly?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't have launch control and, like a couple others, came from the world of high performance motorcycles. I'm sure it's fun but I never loose sight of 2 things.

1. It's an SUV . . . not a sports car. A nice SUV, but . . an S>UV
  2. Those caveats, provided by Porsche, about the ill effects of using Launch Control.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was able to do perfect launches with a Pedal Commander,
Set it to Sport Plus and Plus 3 or more (In Commander)
Traction control off
Set Porsche to Sport on Center console
Hold the break and it holds the rpms at 3500 rpms perfectly.
And go!!! Much more aggressive than putting the car on Sport and attempting launch without sport chrono

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree, there is that initial lag, that you do make up for once you get rolling. Bigger concern for me is changing lanes on the freeway, when you want quick burst into a slot, not to run up on the next cars tail. I am still driving gentle as the manual recommends for first 2000 miles, so might just be a matter of learning how to drive the car. Tried Sport Mode for the first time today after seeing your post this morning, and that makes a big difference!!
Sport mode helps for sure
if u think driving up the back of the next cars tail is scary
try it with a Boxster, my wife closes her eyes

·
Registered
25 Posts
Traction control off
That's not needed for a launch - and it probably makes it more dangerous for others.

I just put it in sport mode (no SC), floor the brake ("Hold" must show up), floor the accelerator, and release the brake pedal.

The result is fun:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts