Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how to launch my Macan from a stop, it just seems to fall on its face for a second until it gets going. I tried applying the brake and bringing the revs up but the car just stands still for a second as if the brakes are locked up. I do not have the Sports Chrono package and understand it does not have launch control.Is there a good way to get out of the hole quickly?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
No. It isn't a dragster. If you wanted to do that, you should have ordered SC with launch control. Surprised you haven't damaged the PDK yet. PDK isn't like an automatic, as it doesn't have a torque converter.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Launch control is part of the SC package so you can't launch.

The quickest get away you will have is when you release the brake and stamp on the throttle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. It isn't a dragster. If you wanted to do that, you should have ordered SC with launch control. Surprised you haven't damaged the PDK yet. PDK isn't like an automatic, as it doesn't have a torque converter.
I understand it's not a dragster, I was just wondering what the most effective way to accelerate from a stop.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
That's how the S4 launched best too. A quick transition from brake to gas, but not applied together. Off brake and fast stomp on gas.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I understand it's not a dragster, I was just wondering what the most effective way to accelerate from a stop.
Sorry for my tone. Sounds like the best answer has been provided by others. Enjoy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wonder if the diesel launches much faster than the petrol S, due to its massive torque available at low RPMs? Does anyone know where to find 0-60 times w/ splits (e.g. 0-10, 10-20, etc.) for the different Macan variants?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I was wondering how to launch my Macan from a stop, it just seems to fall on its face for a second until it gets going. I tried applying the brake and bringing the revs up but the car just stands still for a second as if the brakes are locked up. I do not have the Sports Chrono package and understand it does not have launch control.Is there a good way to get out of the hole quickly?
I haven't tried to launch my car yet (no SC). But given that the quoted 0-60mph difference w/ and w/o SC is only 0.2s, it seems that it should be possible to launch the car reasonably well. I'll let someone else figure out how.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't tried to launch my car yet (no SC). But given that the quoted 0-60mph difference w/ and w/o SC is only 0.2s, it seems that it should be possible to launch the car reasonably well. I'll let someone else figure out how.
My background has never been fast cars. I have always been into motorcycles. My last sport bike was as MV Augusta Brutale 910 s that I ran on the track with a club called NESBA, now gone. I crashed it in turn 10 at NJ motorsports park and decided to walk away. I understand speed pretty well and just have not been impressed with initial launch of the Macan S.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before I get flamed I should say that I actually love the car and the way it handles. It makes me smile all the time, I'm just not impressed with the low end. I guess I should have gotten the sports chrono and turbo. I do love the car, I hope I'm making that very clear.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I agree, there is that initial lag, that you do make up for once you get rolling. Bigger concern for me is changing lanes on the freeway, when you want quick burst into a slot, not to run up on the next cars tail. I am still driving gentle as the manual recommends for first 2000 miles, so might just be a matter of learning how to drive the car. Tried Sport Mode for the first time today after seeing your post this morning, and that makes a big difference!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
My background has never been fast cars. I have always been into motorcycles. My last sport bike was as MV Augusta Brutale 910 s that I ran on the track with a club called NESBA, now gone. I crashed it in turn 10 at NJ motorsports park and decided to walk away. I understand speed pretty well and just have not been impressed with initial launch of the Macan S.
Coming from sport bikes you're going to have a really hard time finding things on 4 wheels that will impress you. Starting with an SUV to do so is really asking a lot, even for the Turbo model. The power to weight on those bikes is just monstrous. I could never trust myself on one, but wish I could.

My base model Boxster and the Macan S advertised virtually identical straight line times. Even so the boxster feels faster and is far more exciting than the Macan. I think the AWD, the mass of the thing, the sound insulation and the relative driving position to the ground all play a part in that. Its a **** nice ride though.

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
The S really has to get up into the revs and boost to get moving. It's does feel boggy getting off the line but the surge is great.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That is the difference with the SC launch option. It will pre-load with higher RPM and with applied brakes. The difference of 0.2 seconds from a normal launch.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just wait until there are tunes available.....if launching from a dead stops your thing, they'll most certainly be a fix for you. Now, the problem would be in how hard that's going to be on the drive train. I had s '09 Cayman S w/PDK. I tried the launch feature once. It squatted and jumped like a cat, a semi violent controlled explosion for the first 30 feet. Just didn't like the " bang" effect it seemed to dish out to the drive line, so as big a gear head as I am, I never did it again.

I did do a dozen or so track days. Brakes and tires are used up at a rapid rate on the track, but the crash that's delivered to the driveline during a "launch" seems pointless to me, but to each their own.

Once the tuners learn how to up the boost, I bet we see a Macan Turbo breaking into the high 11s in elapsed time 1/4 mile with just software....may require a down pipe or some exhaust restriction removed. I love to go fast, from a roll or on track, but drag racing a Porsche seems wrong.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The quickest get away you will have is when you release the brake and stamp on the throttle.
Yes, but first turn off Traction Control (as long as you remember to turn it back on after your cheap thrill launch).

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hammer it. :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
I agree, there is that initial lag, that you do make up for once you get rolling. Bigger concern for me is changing lanes on the freeway, when you want quick burst into a slot, not to run up on the next cars tail. I am still driving gentle as the manual recommends for first 2000 miles, so might just be a matter of learning how to drive the car. Tried Sport Mode for the first time today after seeing your post this morning, and that makes a big difference!!
Just downshift manually and gun it! You'll love it once you get past the 2K.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts