Porsche Macan Forum banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I did a couple of launches of the Turbo PP there too. It felt like what the videos show passengers feeling in a Telsa model S in ludicrous mode... it was raining and we still had .85 g of acceleration... that translates to approx 0-60 in 3.3? It sucked the wind out of my gut.

I helped Cobb finalize a map for the Turbo PP a couple of weeks ago and plan to do one soon so I know what the new 0-60 time is. Should be close to 3 seconds. :eek:

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I did it in my Macan Turbos, on my Panamera 4 which felt like a bat to the neck, not normal at all in comparison.

Have yet to try it on my 911. Kind of feel like been there, done that. Not a lot different than just mashing the pedal. But what’s even better is pressing the Sport Response button when getting on the highway and being rocketed to over 100 really quickly.

At the Porsche experience day at Lime Rock I was in the Panamera Turbo for launch control twice. Made me sick to my stomach.

·
Registered
35 Posts
More times than I can count in my 911 TTS and her Macan Turbo. The Macan is fun. The 911 takes your breath away. Never any issues, error messages, or boredom...>:D

·
Registered
878 Posts
My 2017 S doesn't have sport plus / sport chrono, but if I hold the brake and floor the gas, the engine holds at 3500-4000 rpm for a pretty strong launch.

Did it once, but I do floor it from 10-20mph a lot.

How bad is it for the pdk to do at launch?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have done it a few times so far, sometimes just to have a little fun on a back road or to show off to a friend who doesn't believe how fast it is. I love it and cant wait to do it again :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2017 S doesn't have sport plus / sport chrono, but if I hold the brake and floor the gas, the engine holds at 3500-4000 rpm for a pretty strong launch.
My understanding (and others here can correct me if I’m wrong) is that the only difference between the ‘hold the brake down, floor the gas, let go of the brake’ launch control of a non sport plus Macan and the launch control on a sport plus Macan is that the sport plus spools up the turbo before you launch, and this is why there’s a .2 sec difference in the claimed 0-60 times.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
My understanding (and others here can correct me if I’m wrong) is that the only difference between the ‘hold the brake down, floor the gas, let go of the brake’ launch control of a non sport plus Macan and the launch control on a sport plus Macan is that the sport plus spools up the turbo before you launch, and this is why there’s a .2 sec difference in the claimed 0-60 times.
Very interesting!

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

@SoCalS5. Kindly confirm or deny. Ty.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I've seen the straight pipes, Uri and Jacob, many times. Think I saw this one also but forgot that portion. Appears you are correct. Thank you for pointing it out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've seen the straight pipes, Uri and Jacob, many times. Think I saw this one also but forgot that portion. Appears you are correct. Thank you for pointing it out.
No prob. I’m taking Uri and Jacob’s word for it, but I seem to recall reading the same thing elsewhere (of course I don’t remember where).

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have it and will likely never use it. With a 2.0 it's not at all a muscle car. But it is a sports car. To me a sports car is something that you drive fast on twisty roads. I have no desire to race from stop lights.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Oh, maybe once in a while just to hear the exhaust.... Come on Yadkin. It's okay to say you do it once in a while...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use mine all the time. The experience is very akin to dropping the clutch in a manual transmission. The PDK disengages the clutch when LC is activated and drops it when you take your foot off the brake. Without LC the clutch stays engaged and the engine will lug against the breaks. Much different launch experience.

·
Registered
226 Posts
When we spec'd our GTS, we discussed getting the Sport Chrono package but in the end, agreed that since it is my wife's DD, she'd never really use it, and instead focused on other options we really wanted.

Personally, I've used LC several times in my S4, but Audi limits the number of launches to 200. That limitation and given that the DSG has been prone to some issues, tells me that the PDK is a far more robust transmission.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Useless. I've tried it a few times...MEH Not much difference then stomping on the gas and letting it rip. A Toy tool
Again, the difference (or at least one of the differences) between using the sport chrono launch control vs. not is that using it spools up the turbo before launch. Is that necessary? In almost every situation, certainly not, but how often is it necessary to stomp on the gas even without launch control? We do it for fun. If people like to use launch control for kicks who are the rest of us to mock that by saying it’s a toy?

Or, on the other hand, functionally speaking a RAV4 would do most of things I ‘need’. I could easily argue the rest of what I get in the Porsche pretty much just makes it a grown up toy. I’m cool with that :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
When we spec'd our GTS, we discussed getting the Sport Chrono package but in the end, agreed that since it is my wife's DD, she'd never really use it, and instead focused on other options we really wanted.

Personally, I've used LC several times in my S4, but Audi limits the number of launches to 200. That limitation and given that the DSG has been prone to some issues, tells me that the PDK is a far more robust transmission.
The Macan S/GTS/turbo use the DSG out of the S6/S7, then reprogrammed by Porsche. It is not the unit in the Panamera or the 911. The S6/S7 is also limited to 200 from the factory. I am curious to know if the Macans are limited.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts