Porsche Macan Forum banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
@AML2 , no good answer that I can think of...maybe the press past kickdown. HOWEVER, the instructions do advise you (and my own experience of about a dozen times) to turn off traction control (@PSEE).

Really?

Where did you find "the instructions"? My PDF, paper and IPhone manual say you must have Sports Plus selected. They also do NOT ask for deselected traction control.

Without Sports Plus selected you don't have launch control so the engine/transmission is probably going into some sort of protection mode as it detects what seems like and is abuse. And you might also be abusing your own safety unless you know what you are doing with a pretty volatile control combination of full throttle, abused clutch and no traction control.

·
Registered
997 Posts
...and feel comfortable doing it. The reason I ask is because I will never use it. Worked too friggin' hard to be able to afford a vehicle like this (but that's me).

It would seem to be a very violent shock to the drivetrain, thereby setting one up for breaking things like transfer cases.

To me it's like revving the engine on a car with a manual transmission then sliding your foot off the clutch and letting it slam hard. Broke a car like that once. Tore chunks off the clutch plate, broke two spider gears in the differential and tore 5 teeth off first gear.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I do not have Sport Plus/Launch Control on My Turbo.

I will have it on my 911. I plan to use it occasionally.

My SA said that there is no limit to how many ties you can use it & the car is engineered to allow this w/o issues or damage. He said the Mercedes GT AMG (& maybe he mentioned other brands?) say you can only do it X # times per day & they can track this. I think he said 5x. So, if you have mechanical problems & they read the computer & see you used launch control 20X in a day you would not be covered under their warranty.

IDK if this is true or not. If true, I would expect the MB manual to warn about this.
I do not think Porsche manual has a warning about excessive use of launch control or sport + mode.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Did it once, on a Macan GTS at the Atlanta PEC (during the trip to pick up our S there). Not a problem when it's someone else's car.

As I recall (and my mind was on a lot of things at the time, during my track, skid pad, etc., instruction), the instructor there said that all the Macans can do this, with or without the official launch control option ... and that the difference was that the revs will be higher (5K vs. 3K?) with the priced version.

Still, my wife and I think this is may be borderline abusive, even if the car is built to handle that. And this is by far the most we've spent on a car, and also we usually keep cars a decade or so.

Now, if you ask me, in person sometime, what I know about revving up an International 5-Ton in my Army days, and popping the clutch, I might have a story to tell. But, like PEC, not my vehicle.

·
Registered
326 Posts
PDE does it MULTIPLE times in a day on a hot 911 Turbo and will tell you zero issues, ever. Classes seem to average around 25 folks, at 2 launches each, in approximately a 90 minute period, multiple classes per month.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i want to try it, i just cant find a safe spot to do it.
Fast food drive through, random red lights when first in line, picking up grandma from the hospital are all high on my list. >:D

Kidding of course!!!

The first time I did it with my Mac was in an abandoned warehouse store parking lot. It will also be a good place to chew the rest of my treads off my tires before I replace them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Fast food drive through, random red lights when first in line, picking up grandma from the hospital are all high on my list. >:D

Kidding of course!!!

The first time I did it with my Mac was in an abandoned warehouse store parking lot. It will also be a good place to chew the rest of my treads off my tires before I replace them.
you forgot, pulling out from Caffeine and Octane!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I've only used it a handful of times after the break-in period was over. My wife loves it!

I use it mostly to scare the poop out of my first time passengers when they ask "How quick is this thing?"

;)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I tried it a few times at the PEC in LA. It's a lot of fun!
:)

I never tried it in my Macan, mostly because I haven't found a safe and convenient time and place to do it. I'm not worried about damaging my Macan, #1 because Porsche designed the car to handle it, #2 the car is under warranty and I will trade it in before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did it last Sunday, got dizzy upon launch.

Can't wait to do it again

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Similar to @PMSA7, I tried it at the Los Angeles P.E.C., but that was with their cars. It was a lot of fun tearing down the straight and then diving into the banked horseshoe.

I would not hesitate to try it with my Macan. The few times that I’ve wanted to (mostly to show off to friends) there hasn’t been a good out-of-the-way location. It’s the sort of thing where all the conditions need to be right, in my mind. The vehicles at the P.E.C. are launch controlled several times a day, and I’m convinced that they are engineered to withstand it. I certainly wouldn’t call it abusive.

Drive it hard. It’s a Porsche!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have done it a few times in my own car. It is just to much fun!

It is a Porsche. There are not many other makes that are designed and proven to be hammered on a track for hours with no failures, no limp mode, and just routine maintenance. LC is just another day at the office. Your car is meant for this: https://youtu.be/A5DRCTW-Q7o

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did a half dozen at PEC Atlanta with their Macan Turbo PP. It's truly amazing how fast the car accelerates and it is very addictive. I feel it's dangerous on the street though because the acceleration is so fierce. It wouldn't take much to send you off the road. Anyway, I got it out of my system at PEC, other wise I would have to try it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I did a half dozen at PEC Atlanta with their Macan Turbo PP. It's truly amazing how fast the car accelerates and it is very addictive. I feel it's dangerous on the street though because the acceleration is so fierce. It wouldn't take much to send you off the road. Anyway, I got it out of my system at PEC, other wise I would have to try it.

I did a couple of launches of the Turbo PP there too. It felt like what the videos show passengers feeling in a Telsa model S in ludicrous mode... it was raining and we still had .85 g of acceleration... that translates to approx 0-60 in 3.3? It sucked the wind out of my gut.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts