Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the launch control in my car but how on earth do I use it, I read the manual but doesnt seem to work. What am I missing? Also when you use launch control i presumre you have to try and time it to the timings of the light ie activate a few secs before you suspect the lights will turn green? more importantly when activated how do you deactivate (in case you see a cop ;) )

1. Press the brake with your left foot.
2. Quickly press the accelerator down fully
(kickdown activated) and hold it.
The engine speed will level off at around
5,000 rpm.
““Launch Control activated”” is displayed on
the on-board computer.
3. Release the brake within a few seconds.
Remaining stationary for a long time with LAUNCH

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have the launch control in my car but how on earth do I use it, I read the manual but doesnt seem to work. What am I missing? Also when you use launch control i presumre you have to try and time it to the timings of the light ie activate a few secs before you suspect the lights will turn green? more importantly when activated how do you deactivate (in case you see a cop ;) )
If you are....

• Sitting at a red light and trying to use Launch Control
  • Concerned about timing it with the light changing green
  • Concerned that a cop suddenly shows up while the display says "Launch Control"
.....I think you may have bought the wrong car.

Have you ever autocrossed a car? Even the Macan should be fun in an autocross course. I think when you're sitting at the starting line getting ready to run the course, that would be the appropriate time to use Launch Control.

Perhaps you should experiment with LC in a large, empty parking lot early in the morning, where you won't hurt yourself.

Check your local PCA region for info on autocrossing.

https://www.pca.org/events?field_event_type_tid=218&field_region_target_id=All&field_event_date_value%5Bmin%5D%5Bdate%5D=09%2F17%2F2014&field_event_date_value%5Bmax%5D%5Bdate%5D=09%2F17%2F2015&combine=

·
Registered
557 Posts
I must remember to stop using Launch Control when leaving my driveway...

My neighbor upgraded to metal garbage cans, it appears he didn't like me using his plastic ones as cones on a autoX course every AM.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are....

• Sitting at a red light and trying to use Launch Control
  • Concerned about timing it with the light changing green
  • Concerned that a cop suddenly shows up while the display says "Launch Control"
.....I think you may have bought the wrong car.

Have you ever autocrossed a car? Even the Macan should be fun in an autocross course. I think when you're sitting at the starting line getting ready to run the course, that would be the appropriate time to use Launch Control.

Perhaps you should experiment with LC in a large, empty parking lot early in the morning, where you won't hurt yourself.

Check your local PCA region for info on autocrossing.

https://www.pca.org/events?field_event_type_tid=218&field_region_target_id=All&field_event_date_value%5Bmin%5D%5Bdate%5D=09%2F17%2F2014&field_event_date_value%5Bmax%5D%5Bdate%5D=09%2F17%2F2015&combine=
come to Australia and just see how our cops react when you are only a couple of KMS over the limit, and you will understand my aprehension

thanks WinterMute

·
Registered
12 Posts
No need to turn off PASM. Sport plus first, left foot on the brake, right foot fully down and it's on. If have any doubt it's on, then it's not :) (the sound is amazing and you won't have any doubt)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Correct - set to Sport Plus mode. Hold down the brake and press the accelerator all the way to the floor. The revs will climb and hold, launch control message comes up in the display and release the brake and hold on! The computer handles the rest. Don't forget to enjoy, it's quick.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
489 Posts
The turbo I'm waiting for will have it but I doubt I'd ever use it. It can't be good for the car.
I remembered reading somewhere that the PDK is designed to handle 3000 launches without problems. Can anyone verify that, thanks!

·
Registered
433 Posts
The turbo I'm waiting for will have it but I doubt I'd ever use it. It can't be good for the car.
I remember one magazine running 50+ Launch Controls on a 991TT. No problem whatsoever. This is a Porsche after all not a GTR...;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was at the Porsche Driving School in Alabama. We did a couple launches in a 911turbo. Crazy acceleration. The instructor said they launch that turbo all the time and it has never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I remember one magazine running 50+ Launch Controls on a 991TT. No problem whatsoever. This is a Porsche after all not a GTR...;)
Keep in mind that there are two different PDKs on 911 and on Macan.
Not sure that Macan's one can do 50+ over and over again.

·
Registered
754 Posts
does it makes any sense to turn off Traction Control or it's not possible when launch?
Yes it's possible with traction control off. ...and I believe the best times have been recorded with traction control off.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts