Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here we go... As always, I recommend full screen and HD for full viewing enjoyment. In this session of Macan whooping [email protected]@ on a track we will see the Macan passing a Cayman S who pits in then a Corvette, another Cayman S, 911, Cayman R, 911 Carrera S then making up serious time and running sub 1:40 in a crossover to catch and pass a Lotus, two BMW's and 944... All while running away from everyone and never getting passed. Top speed 126 mph via GPS, best lap time mid 1:39's, Max G's 1.13 in a "crossover" It gets good around 4 minutes in... Oh yeah, forgot to mention I got my Yellow Solo sign off and a promotion to Blue/White to run solo and uninstructed if I choose moving forward... Which I won't btw, I appreciate the instruction. In fact, my instructor helped me work through the PSM kicking in at turn 5 by using less throttle and less steering input hence making us smoother and faster and keeping the PSM from kicking in due to sudden control inputs.
Comparison times on same track:
04 911 GT3: 1:34.2
07 GSXR 750: 1:34.5
06 Z06: 1:35.5
15 BMW M3: 1:36.3
15 Macan S:1:39.5 :eek:

·
Premium Member
2015 Macan Turbo, 2017 911 C2S/X51 ERE
593 Posts
Cool! Which track is this?
A Macan Turbo?
What tires are u running and how do ur brakes hold up under hard track use?

UDA MAN!!

After thought - A Macan Turbo would be even more interesting to watch with the Vivid Racing ECU back pack for an extra 20% HP and torque. Some extra cooling and better gas might be needed tho...

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool! Which track is this?
A Macan Turbo?
What tires are u running and how do ur brakes hold up under hard track use?

UDA MAN!!

After thought - A Macan Turbo would be even more interesting to watch with the Vivid Racing ECU back pack for an extra 20% HP and torque. Some extra cooling and better gas might be needed tho...
Thanks @Steve2 I think I did the Macan proud and answered any "is it a real Porsche" questions lol...

This is a Macan S, no PTV, Base steel springs w/ No PASM/AS but H&R springs installed. Pretty much as raw a Macan as you can get lol so it is all driver ;) j/k!! LOL...

I am running Pirelli P Zeros on 20 inch Spyders. Brakes are amazing, no brake fade ever, tend to run pretty hot and you smell them for sure they are working their butts off but they hold up surprisingly well! I got 4 full track days out of rotors and pads and figured it out to be about 600 full loads on the brakes stopping from 120 + and over 2400 total (hard) brake cycles over 4 days. This session was much cooler air temp and they never exceeded 600F... (IR heat temp tested as I pulled off track and before cool down)

TBH, a Macan Turbo with the extra torque could probably give a lot of cars a serious run for their money. In fact, I wouldn't put it more than 3-4 seconds off a new 911 GT3 on this track. There are a few places, Turn 5 and out of 10 where the torque would have kept anyone including that Vette from so much as pulling a gap on me... >:D The truth is that momentum beats HP every time as evidenced by my vids. You don't need HP to be faster, just watch the guys in Lotus' with 1.8 liter 4 bangers with 260 crank HP and 160 wheel HP eating 911's for lunch because of their late braking and corner speed. HP is good for straight lines, being a better driver is good for the corners ;)

BTW, I am running 100 Octane at $167 a tank and get 90 miles to a full tank :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the pics back from the photographer today...
Whole set here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/psolk/with/22711664327/

Some good ones...

My favorite lol... The thumbs up was for the racing line not the photographer...
Oh yeah, H&R springs will not eliminate your body roll btw, pics are worth a thousand words lol...
I also have a feeling this is where we registered the 1.13 G's, look at the front and especially rear left tires working...

Braking hard for the guy in the Corvette who could only go fast in straight lines and learned how momentum beats Horsepower down the front straight...

**** our Macan's look good when in motion :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great shots the paint job on the wheels looks real nice.

But what, pray tell, is holding your license plate on?
Haha! The black thing is my EZ-Pass (license plate version) and there is a GoPro mounted on top safety wired to the front grill :) That is where the video from the nose cam comes from ;)

TY Btw MDJAK, I love the black with gloss black wheels, really pleased with how it turned out.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You answered your own question, good thing because I know how you chew your fingers while waiting for a response!!! :laugh: :D

·
Registered
550 Posts
may i ask? you were so close to the car in front of you sometimes! do you get scared or afraid to hit it sometimes?? (i've never done such track race before)

ps: great video... just from watching it, i felt like i was driving it with all the sensation along with it.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
may i ask? you were so close to the car in front of you sometimes! do you get scared or afraid to hit it sometimes?? (i've never done such track race before)

ps: great video... just from watching it, i felt like i was driving it with all the sensation along with it.

Scared ? Heck , I watched the video the second time , with my eyes closed cause I was scared just watching . Yikes!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Haha, thanks!
To answer your question, no, no fear at all because I am always anticipating what could happen next and assessing the outcomes in my head. Most of the times you can get a very good feel of what someone is going to do and especially under braking I will lift first and then get my foot over the brake much earlier when following someone than when on my own expecting they will brake earlier than I do... The big thing when following someone is that other than watching their braking and ensuring they are not in your line you really want to ignore them as much as possible and run your own line and braking points when possible if that makes sense.

One of the most common beginner errors is actually "following" the car in front of you. I have seen 3 cars follow one guy off the track they were all so fixated on the car in front of them.

Just do your own thing, anticipate, expect multiple scenarios and give yourself at least two "outs" at all times if possible. (should be no different than the road really) :)

The other thing that comes with time is being able to feather throttle to adjust to the car in front of you. Most of the times coming onto the front straight I am feathering the throttle literally toying with the car in front trying to maintain "their" speed to be able to pass them on the straight... If they weren't there I am flat out under the bridge onto the straight. Most people think throttle is an on/off switch lol. >:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice Vid. Good driving.

I almost took mine out at the Delaware PCA NJMP event this year which was a total washout for the first day and a half. But since I had not tech'd it...

Your instructor in the vid is a friend of mine: You got lucky with the draw :)

On following, as I am sure he reminded you, your car weighs more than most other cars in the run group a fact you have to factor in. That is not a problem early on BUT as you climb run groups the vehicles will become more 'track oriented', ie, lighter, better brakes, better tires, stopping faster, spinning faster, etc.. You then will need to be very careful re following distances as our cars do weigh (often times a lot) more and our brakes and tires will (very) often be compromises comparatively...

Have fun (as you are!) but be safe and remember what you are driving (well!) as you progress..

I think ultimately you will get a track focused car if you stay with the sport (BUT, happily, in such case our cars do tow - Me: Trailex and GT3 - and I cannot think of a better/more fun tow vehicle that you can run in a pinch, ie downpour :)

I am a Nat Trained Instructor and often run/instruct with Schatt and others at NJMP so maybe I will see you there next year!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts