Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where I grew up in Massachusetts traffic was a nightmare and when there was a lane drop drivers would fill all the pavement then take turns merging in where there was no longer the width for two cars. In the land of rude drivers it's actually very organized and its one of the only situations that Massholes are polite to each other in traffic.

Here in North Carolina everyone moves over about a mile ahead of the merge point. Except pf course that one guy who "cuts" in front of the entire mile of slow moving traffic at the last minute. Well, it use to be one guy. Every year that I have lived here another guy gets smart so now there are 23 guys that cut in front of the several hundred or so. Needless to say this creates a lot of frustration and the invariable fender benders and road rage.

Business I40 is shut down for about three miles for two years for reconstruction in Winston-Salem so east-west traffic sucks at the morning and afternoon rush hours. Luckily I can avoid it most times, and end up in it only once/ month or so. This afternoon I was coming back from Greensboro heading west through Winston-Salem on Business 40 towards the merge point and they installed a variable message sign telling drivers to fill both lanes until the merge point. Holy cow the state actually tying to educate drivers.

It was orderly except for two ricers who were tailing each other in the right lane and were determined to be in front of me instead of alternating right-left like normal people do. Since they were driving shitty cars I happily let them through in front of me. (Back in my youth when I drove my Urban Assault Vehicle the order would have been completely different.)

Anyway, after being here for 23 years it was the first and only time that I have been in a (reasonably) orderly lane drop situation here in North Carolina.

·
Registered
999 Posts
. . . Holy cow the state actually tying to educate drivers. . .
Do schools still offer drivers ed? I think my parents received some kind of insurance discount when my brother and I took the course in high school.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do schools still offer drivers ed? I think my parents received some kind of insurance discount when my brother and I took the course in high school.
I call it Drivers Mis-ed. I've see a student and his instructor dogging along in the passing lane many times...

·
Super Moderator
1,003 Posts
I'm not happy to report that the state of MA still has lane drops in several locations. Each
one results in the situation described above. In fact some people even use the shoulder to go
flying by stopped cars at 50+ MPH - then cut in.

Of course there are no LEOs to be seen anywhere... Why is that always the case?

At best, it's poor highway design by the engineers involved. Worcester has a particularly egregious
situation. 290 westbound drops a lane, from 3 to 2 and immediately afterward has an entrance
ramp from Burncoat St. joining. Within 500 feet or so, 190 joins with 290 and another lane
is dropped forcing cars in lane #3 to merge together. Another 500 feet or so after that the
rightmost lane drops. In another 500 feet the right lane becomes an exit-only lane for
Lincoln St.

Think this has the potential for tie-up and/or collisions? Now add snow/sleet/freezing rain/rain
and darkness into the mix!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not happy to report that the state of MA still has lane drops in several locations. Each
one results in the situation described above. In fact some people even use the shoulder to go
flying by stopped cars at 50+ MPH - then cut in.

Of course there are no LEOs to be seen anywhere... Why is that always the case?

At best, it's poor highway design by the engineers involved. Worcester has a particularly egregious
situation. 290 westbound drops a lane, from 3 to 2 and immediately afterward has an entrance
ramp from Burncoat St. joining. Within 500 feet or so, 190 joins with 290 and another lane
is dropped forcing cars in lane #3 to merge together. Another 500 feet or so after that the
rightmost lane drops. In another 500 feet the right lane becomes an exit-only lane for
Lincoln St.

Think this has the potential for tie-up and/or collisions? Now add snow/sleet/freezing rain/rain
and darkness into the mix!

I worked on Mass highway planning for four years at the beginning of my career, early 80's. Although they follow national standards they also have their own policies. Although I'm not familiar with these particular situations, the lane drops are typically due to lack of right-of-way. Back in the 80's highway planning was a 20 year schedule; today I'm sure it's even worse due to higher federal standards, noise remediation, salt water treatment, the list is nearly endless. EVERYONE fights the Commonwealth when a road is planned to be widened. Add to that the amount of local control over state roads and its a complete disaster.

Here in NC we have a lot of the same concerns but a huge difference in county and municipal influence. The State DOT enjoys tremendous power on state rights of way to the point where they are abusive. I've fought them before over drainage issues, getting a state legislator involved (the only effective way to battle) and they simply disagree with the laws of physics (lie), stonewall, and bury you in paperwork. This was over a simple matter that could have been fixed in a day with a small crew.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I had to look up "Ricer Car"

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
@iconoclast thanks for sharing the video. I was just about to go google this term. I have to say the cars they shared were interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I had to look up fart can too!

What can you say?
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
1,003 Posts
...and all along I thought it was coffee can exhaust...

:eek:

ramps on a dirt surface (what? not sand?) - safety first...

Wait! That's the guy who's been servicing my Macan!!! :eek: >:D ;)

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I had to look up fart can too!
Wow, you guys are out of the loop for sure!

I remember people using the terms "Ricer" and "Fart Can" on NASIOC going back at least 10 years.

As for lane drops in my State of Mass, there are no rules anymore when it comes to lane drops, or most other traffic situations...it's every person for themselves.

Just about the only traffic situation I see most people still obey these days is pulling over when an emergency vehicle comes through. I love when they do it when the emergency vehicle is coming the opposite way on the other side of a double lined street when you don't have to.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Not sure what is being stated here but I’ll tell you one thing. I am a fairly courteous driver. I always let people in front of me coming in and out of driveways, let 18 wheelers change lanes in front of me, etc.

That said, if a drop lane is what I think it is, and I see it actually ends half to 3/4 miles ahead where the merge is, I’ll be damned if I’m going to merge before it nears its end. And ain’t no one going to convince me I’m breaking any rules. I say use the open lane till its end. Not the shoulder as I do not do that and don’t like those who do. But I see no rule or law that says get over before it ends.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Where I grew up in Massachusetts traffic was a nightmare and when there was a lane drop drivers would fill all the pavement then take turns merging in where there was no longer the width for two cars. In the land of rude drivers it's actually very organized and its one of the only situations that Massholes are polite to each other in traffic.
The zipper merge is the best way to keep traffic flowing (see video).

However, it requires both knowledgable and courteous drivers (which are very rare in most places).

·
Registered
204 Posts
The zipper merge is the best way to keep traffic flowing (see video).

However, it requires both knowledgable and courteous drivers (which are very rare in most places).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX0I8OdK7Tk

I've only encountered a perfect zipper execution in Canada. It was actually fun to see if anyone was going to screw it up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
13 Participants
Yadkin
Porsche Macan Forum
Thank you for your interest in MacanForum.com. We’re a forum community dedicated to Porsche Macan SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, specs, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing