Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the UK, there is discussion that white lane lines cause drivers to be lazy and that removing the lines has a positive benefit.
But how will this affect the lane assist and autonomous driving that is proposed?

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
LOL. Yeah, why not even make what side you travel on optional? I bet people would be really attentive if all tarmac was any direction. Remove traffic lights too. Just make everything a judgment call. I'm sure it will run smoothly.

Nice try at trolling, but URFAILZ.

·
Registered
383 Posts
White lines become irrelevant when covered with sand and snow. A lot of the world is not self driving car ready...

Reactions: Quiquepas

·
Registered
202 Posts
In the UK, there is discussion that white lane lines cause drivers to be lazy and that removing the lines has a positive benefit.
But how will this affect the lane assist and autonomous driving that is proposed?
Got any examples of this discussion?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Self Driving cars are probably more likely to use GPS than optical recognition of roadways anyway, I would think?
I wouldn't. What do you think's going to happen when they encounter road works, pedestrians etc.

Or the car's in a carpark, or a tunnel, or between tall buildings where there's no GPS coverage.

Autonomous vehicles will have plenty of sensors, radar, ultrasonic, thermal and cameras. .

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Guess you didn't realize; it's in the fine-print of your Brexit referendum vote on June 23.;)

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I wouldn't. What do you think's going to happen when they encounter road works, pedestrians etc.

Or the car's in a carpark, or a tunnel, or between tall buildings where there's no GPS coverage.

Autonomous vehicles will have plenty of sensors, radar, ultrasonic, thermal and cameras. .
I agree there will be a ton of sensors to include radar and such, but I still think the primary "the road is here" decisions will be made with GPS as opposed to optics. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
383 Posts
GPS needs to improve substantially to enable it to guide a car accurately down a road. Currently you may be accurate to 20 feet, but I have areas where I take and it can't tell if I am on a road, or running parallel to the road on the service road or collectors.

GPS.gov: GPS Accuracy

·
Registered
1997 Carrera C2S, 2015 Carrera 991 GTS 4, 2016 Macan S Diesel
91 Posts
LOL. Yeah, why not even make what side you travel on optional? I bet people would be really attentive if all tarmac was any direction. Remove traffic lights too. Just make everything a judgment call. I'm sure it will run smoothly.

Nice try at trolling, but URFAILZ.
not so troll at all, see:
What happens when you remove all traffic signs? A German town finds out. - CSMonitor.com
and e.g. Traffic more relaxed in Dutch town without road signage » The Windmill news articles » goDutch

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
GPS needs to improve substantially to enable it to guide a car accurately down a road. Currently you may be accurate to 20 feet, but I have areas where I take and it can't tell if I am on a road, or running parallel to the road on the service road or collectors.

GPS.gov: GPS Accuracy
From your link: "Higher accuracy is attainable by using GPS in combination with augmentation systems. These enable real-time positioning to within a few centimeters, and post-mission measurements at the millimeter level. LEARN MORE"

Think that'll do?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts