Porsche Macan Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
My ordered GTS was about to lock, and after much deliberation I decided to make one last change:

Deleted the 21" RS Spyder Design Wheels with summer tires, and in their place
Added the 20" Macan Turbo Wheels in High Gloss Black with all-season tires

Reasoning: As much as I LOVED the look of the 21" Spyders on our build...
1. The 20" size should provide a smoother ride over our far-from-perfect roads and city streets
2. Smaller size and better tread wear will save $$$ on replacement tires
3. With an expected delivery date of November 20th we should soon get an opportunity to test how well the all-seasons handle the cold and possible snow. If they prove to be as capable as some here have said we may be able to avoid purchasing a separate winter set (including the twice-a-year changeover cost). That and the fact we are both retired and we do have winter wheels and tires that will be mounted on our other vehicle, a 2019 Audi Q7 should we "have to get there" in difficult conditions.

Would appreciate any comments from fellow forum members!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Very nice build. Those wheels look great.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The high-gloss wheel option will match nicely with several high-gloss options (root rails, door handle) from your build.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Nice build....

Personally though, I'd stay with the standard 20" black Spyder wheels, and lose the black door handles....deleting both saves you almost $1,000....

·
Registered
869 Posts
Nah.... The Black Door handles set off the car. Too late now, I realize. And, again, in my opinion, not shared by many, the Black Wheels make the look like it is up on blocks. I opted for the 21" Spyders on my GTS.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Nice build....

Personally though, I'd stay with the standard 20" black Spyder wheels, and lose the black door handles....deleting both saves you almost $1,000....

View attachment 234348
Thanks for sharing your thoughts but I'm just not a fan of black wheels. The one exception might be together with the Carmine Red paint. I could live with that, but wife wanted white so red (and any other color!) was ruled out from the get-go. Other than the paint color she's been totally uninvolved with the build.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts but I'm just not a fan of black wheels.
No worries, but that's what I thought too about black wheels when I bought my first GTS. I regretted my choice ordering the machined Spyders roughly a year later, then bought a complete black Spyder wheel set online.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
No worries, but that's what I thought too about black wheels when I bought my first GTS. I regretted my choice ordering the machined Spyders roughly a year later, then bought a complete black Spyder wheel set online.
Just out of curiosity, did you buy your black Spyder wheel set directly from Porsche (or Suncoast) and pay full retail? I may still end up buying a second set for winter.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did you buy your black Spyder wheel set directly from Porsche (or Suncoast) and pay full retail? I may still end up buying a second set for winter.
No.

I ended up buying piecemeal from two different online Porsche parts dealerships....whomever had the best price at the time, wheels, center caps. Then I bought a set of HOF TPMS on eBay (manufacturers of the Porsche TPMS), and a set of stock Pirelli Scorpion all-season tires on TireRack. One at a time, I had them mounted & balanced at a nearby Porsche dealership on the way home from work, then changed over to the new black wheel set at home myself. All told I think I paid a total of about $5,800 out of pocket.

Not a total loss though....that same machined set of 20" Spyders with A/S tires from my first GTS will be my Winter wheel set on my new 2020 GTS. I would NOT want to run black Spyders in the Winter....the matte black doesn't hold up well to sand & salt.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Masscan, thanks so much for sharing all that. A little bit of a roundabout way of getting there, but it all worked perfectly!
I'm going to see how the all season's perform in winter and go from there.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Obviously it would involve some downtime, but you could get the 21” Spyders On the car powder coated.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would definitely reconsider the 21 inch wheels. Rather than compare them on the configurator, I would go to the dealer and see them in real life side-by-side as they transform the look of the car. You don’t want to have regrets every day for as long as you own the car.

Yes, they are expensive, but there is a reason that so many buyers specify them. You are buying a Porsche, not a Hyundai. Sure, the ride quality is slightly stiffer, but the difference is not that substantial, and the 21 inch wheels provide better steering feedback and more immediate turn-in. We have no vested interest in either size as we own two Macans, one with 20s and the other with 21s.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Digby, thanks for your input. I did consider all the points you raise. But for our situation I came to the conclusion that the 20's are the way to go.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts