Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to pull the trigger on a 2020 GTS and would greatly appreciate any and all comments/criticisms/suggestions before submitting our build to the local dealer. My wife will be the primary driver, and about the only requirement as far as she is concerned is that it must come in white! This will be our second Macan, as we previously owned a 2015 S, which she loved and now misses very much!

Our Porsche Code is: The Porsche Code

·
Registered
249 Posts
You seem to have a pretty well covered. You might want to consider PTV to improve the winter traction. And I would definitely recommend LKA.

·
Registered
309 Posts
About to pull the trigger on a 2020 GTS and would greatly appreciate any and all comments/criticisms/suggestions before submitting our build to the local dealer. My wife will be the primary driver, and about the only requirement as far as she is concerned is that it must come in white! This will be our second Macan, as we previously owned a 2015 S, which she loved and now misses very much!

Our Porsche Code is: The Porsche Code
Dude, congratulations! Wonderfully customised! Heck, if I were to critique anything, I would ask - have you considered the 18-way seats over the 14-way? Don't get me wrong, the latter are a superb set of seats, it just comes down to personal preference.

But seriously, great build!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone giving feedback.
PeterVV, I did have PTV checked originally but decided against it for two reasons:
1) As the primary driver my wife is not one to explore the Macan's handling limits, and based on what others have said here I question how often it would engage
2) Good thought about improving winter traction - we're in Minnesota after all - but I will be buying a separate set of 19" wheels with winter tires. Plus if the weather is terrible and she absolutely needs to get somewhere (which is rare as we are retired!) she can take my Q7 for which we do have a separate set of winter wheels and tires. So bottom line is I think paying $1,500 for the PTV would not be money well spent.
3) Re: your suggestion for adding LKA I have this on my Audi and frankly I find it overly intrusive and irritating! So much so that I no longer turn it on. Maybe it's set up differently on the Macan so that it gently keeps you in your lane with no sudden jerky corrections?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SJG, on the seat selection the 14 way (aka the "Comfort" seats) look to be the "best fit" for us. I recall from previous comments when we were buying our 2015 Macan S that the 18 way's could be overly confining for folks who perhaps are not as lean as they once were? ;) We'll be sure to try both options at the dealer before making a final decision, but I have a good feeling that she'll be able to find a comfortable seating position with the 14 way.
But thanks for the recommendation, and your compliment on our build.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wspollack, on the Cargo Management System, how easily is this removed and then reinstalled for when it's more of an obstruction than anything else? Most of what will go into the back will consist of her golf clubs and pull cart, so she would need to remove and re-install the CMS at least three times a week. So if it's at all a hassle it might be more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
wspollack, on the Cargo Management System, how easily is this removed and then reinstalled for when it's more of an obstruction than anything else? Most of what will go into the back will consist of her golf clubs and pull cart, so she would need to remove and re-install the CMS at least three times a week. So if it's at all a hassle it might be more trouble than it's worth.
Take a look at the videos provided by @limulus (post 2) in this request-for-info thread I started a couple of years ago:

We generally leave the just the solid bar in place, i.e., not the web strap or net. We've found that, when we do use the bar, it alone is sufficient to keep some big item from moving around much (but if you really wanted to secure something from moving side-to-side, not just fore-and-aft, the addition of the web belt would make things even more secure.

And generally, we just keep that bar in its farthest-back position. That is, the overwhelming majority of the time it's just sitting there, unused. Once in a while, we do remove the bar, and set it aside in the garage. That would be once or twice a year, when we will stuff that hatch area completely full of luggage, or a few times a year, when we put the rear seats down, because we'll be picking up something really large from a store.

To remove the bar (or the web belt, if you have that in, too), all you need to do is lean in, put each hand on top of each post, push the spring-loaded caps down, and, while holding the caps down, slide the posts toward you, until they are positioned over the openings (a widened area near the liftgate), and lift out. Takes maybe ten seconds.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
@JRB:

BTW, FWIW, and any other relevant acronyms, I agree with you on:

1) Your choice of the 14-ways, for those of us who are less svelte, less acrobatic, etc., than many of the folks here.

2) Your choice of not selecting LKA. I do NOT have LKA, so perhaps my opinion is suspect, or even worthless ... but I do have LDW, and that whupp-whupp goes off at ridiculous times. Just yesterday, with clear painted markings on both sides of my lane, it was fixating on some telephone-pole-wire shadows (and this is not the first time that's happened).

Now, I realize that LKA and LDW are not the same thing, but I am assuming that LKA relies on some or all of the same sensors, computer chips and logic, etc., that LDW uses to issue whupp-whupp noises. And if that's the case, I would not want any of that hardware and software in charge of nudging my steering wheel. Noise, sure; nudging, nope.

And neither of those should be confused with LCA, which I have and think is valuable. I also wish that I had ordered the Surround View system; I tried to add it, but my build had just been locked in. Oh, well -- next Macan.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wspollack, thanks so much for the detailed user review of the CMS. Sounds like it's come in very handy for you and your wife! However based on our lifestyle and who does what in each vehicle, I don't think we would use it very much. Question, if I'm wrong and find that it would really be a nice thing to have, is it available after-market at the dealership?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question: For those who have the optional 21" wheels, what tires did yours come with? (all-season, or summer?) Can you specify which, for the same or similar cost?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Question, if I'm wrong and find that it would really be a nice thing to have, is it available after-market at the dealership?
Well, it's supposed to be an option only available at time of order.

However, if you don't mind ordering some parts, discarding others, and messing with the car yourself, apparently it can be done (although it's certainly easier and cheaper to specify it upfront):

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Too much missing. It's a simple build which looks good. But! No gloss blackout trim, no Chrono, no PSE, no PTV, no ceramic brakes (Opt.), no trimming out of dash, console, headrests, no PSE, no sound deadening, no tinted windows, no LKA. Throw in maintenance package and extended warranty based on how long you intend to keep the Macan. Might want to get it anyway for transfer/resale value.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, Bruce, appreciate the input but wow! I have to cut a few corners and not add everything! Is there a "must have" in your list of things that I haven't included thus far? And I will definitely be taking a close look at the maintenance and extended warranty package as we'll probably be keeping the vehicle for a minimum of 7 years/60,000 miles.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Question: For those who have the optional 21" wheels, what tires did yours come with? (all-season, or summer?) Can you specify which, for the same or similar cost?
Unless something has changed, you cannot get all season tires with 21 inch wheels from the factory, simply because no one makes all season Nspec tires in the correct sizes.

That brings up another issue. Are you going to be comfortable with all season tires? Summer tires provide noticeably better handling, and winter tires are significantly safer. Of course the trade-off is having to switch tires twice a year. Handling is important to me (one of the primary reasons I chose the Macan over other SUV’s) and my philosophy with winter tires has always been that if they keep you out of even just one accident it was worth the hassle of switching them over.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again to everyone who has chimed in - much appreciated!

To my original build I've decided to add two things: Surround View and the PTV+. I've been in touch with the dealer today and the sales guy suggested the former, and the feedback I've received here caused me to add the latter. Surround view will come into play for the wife when parking and navigating tight spots, like mall parking lots. The PTV+ will be more of a winter safety item for our situation, since neither of us will push the vehicle's handling limits. There will be situations where the two of us will go our separate ways and it'll start snowing, or even worse freezing rain. I already have a separate set of winter wheels and tires for the Q7 (stacked in the corner of our garage!) and will look to do the same for the Macan. Combined with the PTV+ our Macan will make a safe driving option. I've done this routinely over the years, so much so that I'm on a first name basis with the folks at TireRack. ;)
I do really like the look of the 21" RS Spyder Design wheels, but shod with the summer tires in winter it would be an accident waiting to happen. Sometime around October I'll do some research on what's highly rated, and available.

Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Very nice, straight forward build.

The only item I wonder about are the LED's with PDLS+. The GTS already comes standard with LED's in black with PDLS.....so I'm not sure adding the + is worth it. As I recall, the main difference is the addition of automatic high beam assist. But if that's something you would use all the time, then maybe it's worth it.

Glad to see you added Surround View and PTV+. I have both, and would I'd definitely get them again.

All the best with your build. (y)

Reactions: wspollack
1 - 20 of 51 Posts