Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We lost one key in a new 2016 macan. eBay has a bunch for about $70 vs 250 at dealer. Can I get an eBay keyless entry key from say a panamera and get the cut key from delaer for $70 then get the wireless code programmed at dealer for $150?
it sounds plausible.

·
Registered
912 Posts
If the ebay key is a Chinese knock-off, it might not work. Then you're out $70 plus $250.

Reactions: grim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was asking more from a technical side. Im still looking for our original key. Should be in my house. Just curious from a technical side if any old key could be programmed.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
I was asking more from a technical side. Im still looking for our original key. Should be in my house. Just curious from a technical side if any old key could be programmed.
@JFT I don't personally know the answer then, sorry. But luckily I do know someone who does. He works in the service department of your dealership.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey guys, I lost one of my Porsche key fobs. I called the dealer and they want $500 for a new key. You guys have any suggestions/recommendations on
aftermarket keys? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Being that any replacement key would have to be programmed to your car, I'm afraid that's about the going rate. I haven't seen aftermarket keys (key fobs, yes), but for your sake I hope someone will chime in with a success story.

·
Registered
525 Posts
993 you could do it with the IPAS codes and procedure with button presses and key turns. Then 996 each key had to have the unique code on the tag (used keys are trash) and again IPAS codes but only with the Porsche Dealership Tool (PIWIS programmer). Then 987/997 you could reprogram any used key, no special code from the tag with the PIWIS.

Not sure about Macan but guessing PIWIS II and any used key fob will work if you had IPAS codes.

IPAS codes are all the codes that correlate to your Porsche and allow for advanced programming via PIWIS. You can get nice dealerships to release them to you with proof of ownership of the car but a lot of them will claim cannot be given out. (B.S.)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've called a lot of those automotive locksmith places (non dealer), once they hear, "Porsche", then it's, "you have to go to the dealer". I've also made note that to get a Porsche key, it's a two part procedure. You have to purchase the key from the parts department, and then the service department has to program it. I called all the dealers in my state (MA) which are only 4 of them, and 2 of them are the same company. All of them have difference prices for the key fob, and programming fee. I ended up going to the dealer with the cheapest programming fee, and they price matched the lowest price of the key fob from another dealer. I have an appointment with Herb Chambers Porsche Boston, key ($341 (taxed), programming ($133). So I'm getting it for under $500, but still a lot.
For all of you that are clinching their fist and asking, "why didn't he go to Suncoast?" I called them and they told me they don't do internet orders for key fobs.
"What about Ebay?" The service department said they will program any key fobs that is purchased from a Porsche Dealer. I'm not going to risk having to go back and forth with the seller and service department if something were to go wrong. Save yourself the headache and order from the dealer, unless you know a good hacker that can program the key for you.

One of the automotive lock smith I called explained that they don't do Porsche Key is because the computer system is too expensive, and the demand is not there. Maybe if you're in LA, or Miami, or any city with lots of Porsche, then they might have a non dealer that can program a Porsche Key.

·
Super Moderator
9,631 Posts
@skyknight88 good post. thanks. More people should see this., I know it costs at least $500 for an extra key, including tax. I've had them made.

Some people think its like going down to Home Depot and letting them make a new house key. No, you also have to bring ALL your other keys with you. If you only have one because you've lost the other one, then that's not an issue. But if you have two and want a third, you have to bring the other two. I think there is a certain number you can make and the no more.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think there is a certain number you can make and the no more.

Max slot count is three in the other cars I have used a PIWIS on. Bringing all keys is probably a procedure put in place during 996 since if a tech overwrote an original key then those are worthless since the unique code that comes attached only to a new key cannot be reverse engineered. (attached a picture of how they need to come new on the older 2002-2005 911 generation i.e. 996)

For the 95B (Macan) I would think any used key from eBay would be possible to add since that was how later Porsche (987 997 generations) functioned. Thus find an indy and get a key for used + PIWIS II time probably $2XX total.

Probably a good idea to get a blank blade and have a locksmith match your current blade to really make the used one match. That's what I did with my Cayman: used ebay key, throw away blade, new blade cut by locksmith & PIWIS program. If you know your other remote is toast, just replace that slot. Otherwise add it to #3 & hope you find the lost one.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,631 Posts
Max slot count is three in the other cars I have used a PIWIS on. Bringing all keys is probably a procedure put in place during 996 since if a tech overwrote an original key then those are worthless since the unique code that comes attached only to a new key cannot be reverse engineered. (attached a picture of how they need to come new on the older 2002-2005 911 generation i.e. 996)

For the 95B (Macan) I would think any used key from eBay would be possible to add since that was how later Porsche (987 997 generations) functioned. Thus find an indy and get a key for used + PIWIS II time probably $2XX total.

Probably a good idea to get a blank blade and have a locksmith match your current blade to really make the used one match. That's what I did with my Cayman: used ebay key, throw away blade, new blade cut by locksmith & PIWIS program. If you know your other remote is toast, just replace that slot. Otherwise add it to #3 & hope you find the lost one.
PAG says 7

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/christophorus/the-key-to-it-all-10538.html

1 - 20 of 50 Posts