Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I have macan s rim(235 60 R18 / 255 55 R18) and just replaced my stock NO rated continental csc5 suv with new PS4 SUV.
The supporting feels much better than before, of course more bumpy.
The steering response is slight quicker

But I just cannot feel the road feedback any more. When I was using the precious csc5, there would be a lateral torque if I drive over something like manhole cover.

The new PS4 suv feel like I am isolated with the ground...

Does anyone know about this? Or maybe my new tyres are still in break in period?

Update 25 March 2020: I did another 100km yesterday, My steering starts to getting heavier, feedback is also appearing

·
Registered
175 Posts
New tires break in for a while so your impression might change after driving on them for a while although it might be to gradual to notice much day to day.

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Maybe your tires are simply under inflated? This would give a softer ride and less road feel.

Curious you state more bumpy although isolated from the ground and no road feedback.

More bumpy would seem to indicate either a stiffer sidewall or higher tire pressure. Both would tend
to provide greater road feel and less isolation.

Puzzling...

:unsure:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New tires break in for a while so your impression might change after driving on them for a while although it might be to gradual to notice much day to day.
Hi Thanks, I then found similar answer on tirerack, I did notice that the new tire has already changed a bit after 400km, I will come back here after another 1000km

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe your tires are simply under inflated? This would give a softer ride and less road feel.

Curious you state more bumpy although isolated from the ground and no road feedback.

More bumpy would seem to indicate either a stiffer sidewall or higher tire pressure. Both would tend
to provide greater road feel and less isolation.

Puzzling...

:unsure:
Hi I have the same doubt.
I thought the stiffer tire would bring more lateral torque, My previous csc5 feels like my arms are directly connecting to front axle.

But the reality is my new PS4 SUV with stiffer sidewall are behaving strangely...
I am also quite sensitive with tire [pressure, and I have tried both 2.4/2.6(cold), and 2.2/2.4(cold), the new tire still cannot provide the direct response as the previous.

I read an article yesterday:

it says old tire with less tread has quicker response....Maybe the new tires will perform better in the future.
Let's see, I will let you know after another 1000km

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The PS4 SUV is an XL tire. Macan N0 spec tires are SL.

XL tires have a stiffer sidewall, and will drive much different than SL tires.
Hi thanks, I was told by the dealer that my new PS4SUV has 2 layers of polyester inside the sidewall, thats also the reason why I switch from csc5 to have better handling in the corner.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Hi thanks, I was told by the dealer that my new PS4SUV has 2 layers of polyester inside the sidewall, thats also the reason why I switch from csc5 to have better handling in the corner.
XL tires aren't designed to provide better handling...they just allow for higher loads. In other cases, they are needed in applications where you have a lower sidewall profile.

The attached 2 images are from Tire Rack. As you can see, all of the Cayenne tire sizes are XL spec. None of the Macan tires are. This doesn't mean the Cayenne is setup for better handling, just that it's a heavier car.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just to chime in, I changed the summer tires on the Macan last year and I walked in my local shop asking for PS4 SUV.

They warned they aren't Porsche approved and that I might get problems with the steering - which will not be covered by the warranty - so I got the N0 variant instead (Latitude I think).

·
Registered
406 Posts
OP- curios why you went with those tires? I’ve always thought that stiffer sidewall allows you to feel the road and corner better. Don’t all summer tires have stiffer sidewal

Just to chime in, I changed the summer tires on the Macan last year and I walked in my local shop asking for PS4 SUV.

They warned they aren't Porsche approved and that I might get problems with the steering - which will not be covered by the warranty - so I got the N0 variant instead (Latitude I think).
People on here have said that it should not affect your warranty regardless of which tires you get. I’m inclined to agree as I don’t see how tires can cause warranty issues. Wondering as I'm starting to do some research for replacement as well.

btw, at what tread depth did you guys replace the tires?

·
Registered
308 Posts
OP- curios why you went with those tires? I’ve always thought that stiffer sidewall allows you to feel the road and corner better. Don’t all summer tires have stiffer sidewal

People on here have said that it should not affect your warranty regardless of which tires you get. I’m inclined to agree as I don’t see how tires can cause warranty issues. Wondering as I'm starting to do some research for replacement as well.

I find it easy to believe, given my previous and extensive Swiss experience with car dealers, that they'll use whatever excuse to weasel out of even a justified free repair. There's a lot of incentive for that, given that prices are very high.

So I just decided to not take any chances and not give any excuses, I have no mods, I do all the repairs and servicing with Porsche, with the 911 even the wheel change since it has ceramic brakes and I don't want issues with disc damage blamed on the tire shop.

Can't remember about the thread depth, sorry, too long ago for such a minor detail. Just that they were fairly worn out and the replacement was fully expected.

Here we normally change wheels (or tires, but I just have separate sets of wheels for both cars) twice a year (warm/cold seasons - we say "October to Easter"). Whenever you change them, the shop will give you a report stating if the tires they just removed are still usable next season, so you know well in advance if you'll need to replace them. They will not put too-worn or too-old tires on your car, it's a legal requirement.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I find it easy to believe, given my previous and extensive Swiss experience with car dealers, that they'll use whatever excuse to weasel out of even a justified free repair. There's a lot of incentive for that, given that prices are very high.

So I just decided to not take any chances and not give any excuses, I have no mods, I do all the repairs and servicing with Porsche, with the 911 even the wheel change since it has ceramic brakes and I don't want issues with disc damage blamed on the tire shop.

Can't remember about the thread depth, sorry, too long ago for such a minor detail. Just that they were fairly worn out and the replacement was fully expected.

Here we normally change wheels (or tires, but I just have separate sets of wheels for both cars) twice a year (warm/cold seasons - we say "October to Easter"). Whenever you change them, the shop will give you a report stating if the tires they just removed are still usable next season, so you know well in advance if you'll need to replace them. They will not put too-worn or too-old tires on your car, it's a legal requirement.
Ah, yes. Makes sense about warranty then. Asked dealer and they said of course they would recommend N-spec tires which made sense. Surprised they said I can drive to 3/32nd or even 2/32nd tread depth when America’s Tire recommended replacing at 4/32nd (probably more this if rain is a concern).

·
Registered
953 Posts
For anyone needing to replace 21 inch summer tires, strongly suggest Atturo AZ850’s at 1/3 the cost of these. There is a separate thread on these, and numerous forum members are very happy with them with little in the way of compromise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hi Solis,
My car has already out of warranty, no issue during the last 3 year.
I just did another 100km yesterday, steering is getting heavier, it seems the grip and feedback are getting better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Hi I changed mine while the front tire is nearly wear down at the ourside and just hit the wear limit in the middle, my rear tire still have enough treadwear.
In my area we don't have strict law to force people change 4 tires at the same time. I could have only change the front 2, but I am really cruious about the PS4SUV, so I decided to change all 4.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For anyone needing to replace 21 inch summer tires, strongly suggest Atturo AZ850’s at 1/3 the cost of these. There is a separate thread on these, and numerous forum members are very happy with them with little in the way of compromise.
Hi Dan,

Sounds great, have you tried it? How does it feel comparing to tour previous tire

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Dan,

Thanks i have found the thread of Atturo AZ850.
Luckily I am living in an area where I can buy tires in a decent price, I only paid 479 USD for 4 PS4suv tires including service charge.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Hi Dan,

Thanks i have found the thread of Atturo AZ850.
Luckily I am living in an area where I can buy tires in a decent price, I only paid 479 USD for 4 PS4suv tires including service charge.
Wow! Where is that?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sounds way too good to be true. Is there perhaps more to the story you are not telling us? I have never seen them in the 18 inch sizes for under $700, and that’s without installation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts