Porsche Macan Forum banner

Just bought my first Porsche! 2021 Porsche Macan Base model on Friday - Feb 19, 2021!

6K views 58 replies 25 participants last post by  TarponTom 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I've been reading these forums and I thought it was time to add a post of my own. After months and months of research, and having driven a Toyota Tundra for over 13 years, I purchase my first Porsche on Friday (3 days ago)! I'm very excited!

I made an appointment last week, and going into the appointment, my goal was to test drive 4 vehicles:

1. The Macan Base model
2. The Macan S
3. The Cheyenne
4. The Panamera

I had watched all YouTube videos I could find. I read Car and Driver and Edmunds a million times and I had read any article I could search and find, finally - I was ready to go and test drive. What was so critical for me was size inside. I'd be coming from a full sized truck and I was always told that Luxury cars wouldn't have enough room for me (I'm 6'4" 225lbs), so sitting in the vehicle...playing with the seat settings, viewing visibility, and actually driving the vehicle was key for me. I went to the dealership with some 'wants' for options and for 'must have' for options. The first vehicle I drove was a base. Not a ton of power, but more than I was used to in my Truck. The Porsche dealership had a structured test drive path (getting onto street, hitting the on ramp to an interstate, getting off of interstate, driving through some very curvy neighborhoods complete with tight turns and pot holes). It was clear that they wanted the test drive to be as genuine as possible. The base felt good but not extremely powerful. I had plenty of room. In fact, the seat wasn't even 100% back, though i Could do that if I wanted too. I also had about 3" above my head and in between the sun roof.

Next was the Macan S (I insisted on this order because I didn't want to test drive the most powerful first and then use that as the standard for my test drives). The S had more power, but honestly...other than on the on ramp to the interstate, and once I hit 75mph on that on ramp, I never got to feel the power again. I mean...test drive conditions were in standard traffic. The traffic I drive in everyday. Although I could feel the power on the on ramp, for a few seconds, I got out of the S (the model I 'knew' was the 'one') with a realization that it's awesome but I'd rarely get to use that power where I live.

I drove the Cheyenne next. Although it's only slightly bigger (the interior is literally 1.5" wider) I felt that it was underpowered and that I was driving a much bigger vehicle. It didn't move. After driving the Macan and the Macan S, I knew not only was the Cheyenne out of the equation due to drivability, but it was more expensive than both Macan's that I enjoyed more. It was 100% out of the equation.

Last I drove the Panamera. I literally told the salesman that it doesn't feel as powerful as the Macan S. He said "it's not. it's a few HP less actually." He asked me if I thought the price justified $30,000 more for the Panamera (based on both test drive vehicles). I said no. In fact, the Macan S was faster and more usable for me (I have a newborn).

So we finished the test drives and I was aware then that the Macan Base would be fine for my needs. Although I'd like to have the S for some fun, I'd rarely get to use that power where I live (Tampa Area). So we sat down and looked at the inventory (they literally only had 3 Porsche Macan Base vehicles in stock, and 2 Porsche Macan S vehicles in stock). The idea was that If I didn't want one of the 5 available, I could order whatever I wanted and wait 3 months...or, buy a loaner vehicle with 4000 miles (or more. there were several to choose from) on it. While I didn't immediately say no to the loaners, due to their extended CPO warranty's, it didn't make sense to me to take a loaner with a few thousand miles vs the slight savings. I left the dealership after 4 hours (worth noting, no other buyers entered within that time and I'm told that's not unusual for a Porsche dealership). I needed to breathe and I'm glad I did. The idea was that once a particular loaner was returned the next day, I'd look at it. But I had my eye on the show room Macan Base vehicle. The salesman texted me the next day that the loaner had been returned and I could come check it out. I told him "let's make a deal on the show room model." I went to the dealership and was only there maybe 2 hours tops.

Unfortunately I had to drive 'her' home in a thunderstorm and now it's dirty. But I'm returning to the dealership this week to have front windows tinted and have the center caps replaced with colored Porsche caps (both part of the deal). Hopefully they're wash it for me and it'll look nice again. I've been reading the manual and watching YouTube Videos to learn all the features (I got the Premium Plus package) and it's like a space shuttle to me (my old truck didn't even have cruise control). But I'm extremely happy with it so far. It has a nice little pick up (nothing crazy) and it's been quite a bit of fun to drive so far. Let me know if you have any tips or tricks for the Base Macan for me.

Here's a couple questions I had if you know the answer:
1. Is it worth it to have the 'software' update done to the base model to achieve 50 more hp? (salesman said it was possible)
2. I got the wheel and tire protection plan (to me, worth it). Did you get the prepaid maintenance plan and if so, is it worth it?
3. Overall, how satisfied are you with you Macan?
4. The all electric Macan is supposed to come out next year. Do you think it'll be a lot more expensive?
5. I notice that Macan inventory is extremely limited on the lots due to Covid-19. How much (if any) of a percentage did you get off of MSRP? I got 'some' off but not as much as I did with my Toyota 13 years ago. I was told that a deep discount isn't likely with a Porsche and covid-19 slow down.
6. What type of gas do you put in your Macan? I was under the impression that they require premium. At the dealership they topped mine of with 88 octane (I asked and they said their pump was 88 octane). I was confused and was told that it's the gas they used for all their new porsche vehicles. Do I need 93 or is 88 sufficient? I haven't noticed any pings, but only 70 miles on it so far.

Anyways, I'm happy to be here and look forward to seeing everyone's Macans.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats, it’s a great feeling and you’ll love walking out to see it each day. I still smile every time I see that profile. Get used to random people coming up to say nice car or telling you about their Porsche. I had a gal make a beeline across a parking lot in a remote coastal town (a little uncomfortable in these times) to tell me about her ordered mamba green Macan.

Now, I’m afraid we are going to have to demand some pics!

#6 ·
Congrats. 👏

I am on record as being very happy with my Base model.

I drive it in sport mode on twisty rolling country roads all the time and I have almost zero desire for more power.

I have run both Shell regular (which Shell claims has sufficient RON) and V Power Nitro. I run the V Power Nitro most of the time.

Premium Plus and my favorite wheels and I am a very happy camper.

I will second the need for photos! 📷

#11 ·
Maybe but you bought a Porsche so make sure you disable that button. Mine was turned off 5 years ago and never touched again.

#14 ·
1. Is it worth it to have the 'software' update done to the base model to achieve 50 more hp? (salesman said it was possible) - Are you talking about Cobb? There are tons of threads here about it and it is worth it. You might want to wait until your car breaks in which is around 2k miles. Also, read about managing that with taking car to dealer for warranty services.

2. I got the wheel and tire protection plan (to me, worth it). Did you get the prepaid maintenance plan and if so, is it worth it? - I did not get either and did not miss it

3. Overall, how satisfied are you with you Macan? - 100%

4. The all electric Macan is supposed to come out next year. Do you think it'll be a lot more expensive? - Probably yes. It is what you should expect from Porsche

5. I notice that Macan inventory is extremely limited on the lots due to Covid-19. How much (if any) of a percentage did you get off of MSRP? I got 'some' off but not as much as I did with my Toyota 13 years ago. I was told that a deep discount isn't likely with a Porsche and covid-19 slow down. - Lots of threads here. I got 0% since mine was one of the first ones back in 2015. It all depends on supply/demand, how much the dealer wants to sell that specific car, etc..

6. What type of gas do you put in your Macan? I was under the impression that they require premium. At the dealership they topped mine of with 88 octane (I asked and they said their pump was 88 octane). I was confused and was told that it's the gas they used for all their new porsche vehicles. Do I need 93 or is 88 sufficient? I haven't noticed any pings, but only 70 miles on it so far. - Costco Kirkland 92 Premium. I happen to live less than a mile from a Costco so it is a nobrainer.

Reactions: TarponTom
#23 ·
Wow. Thank you for taking the time to answer those questions. Noted about taking a look at previous threads. Regarding the "cobb", not 100% sure. He, the salesman, said that it could be tuned to apx 50 hp more but would also require a software update which the s would already have.

#15 ·
I got my first Porsche last July, a CPO 2017 base model. Before I test drove it I had my doubts that the four banger would satisfy me, but I gave it a shot and was quickly impressed by how 'zippy' it really is. I know the V-6 models are more powerful, but the base has enough for my real-world needs. Plus, the handling is superb, especially for the type of vehicle it is. I've been 110% happy, no, elated with my choice since getting it, and remain so to this day.

I run premium (93 octane) in mine. I've tried the auto stop just to say I gave it a chance, but I don't like it. To me, it's too 'aggressive' as it shuts down the engine as soon as I stop, like RIGHT NOW. I haven't used it enough to test if there's any gas savings. I AM glad that once it's turned off it stays off, unlike some cars where you have to turn it off manually every time you start the car.

#18 ·
Congratulations! You will love the Macan. My first Porsche was a 2018 base and I loved it. Here’s my advice: start the car and put it sport mode automatically. I drove mine in sport mode 100% of the time. Much more fun that way. “Drive it like you stole it!” Enjoy.

#25 ·
Yes, I tested the sports mode in all models I test drove. Could definitely immediately feel it on the handling of the base model. But not so much exhaust/sound. Mine does not have a performance exhaust system. Wondering if eventually it would be worth it to splurge on the exhaust for sportiness. Just to hear some extra 'pop' from the back. Then again, I suppose if that was truly my goal - I'd have splurged on the 6 cylinder S. I noticed that the 4 and 6 immediately sounded a bit different at idle.

#19 ·
Sport and Sport Plus modes are great and change the character of the car. But I recommend waiting until the engine oil temp is at its operating temperature before putting the car into either sporty mode or revviing it to high rpm.

I have Auto Stop/Start off when driving alone. But I do sometimes turn it on and the exhaust off when my wife is on board, just to make the GTS seem quieter than it actually is.

When driving long distances on highways, I tend to turn on Auto Stop/Start function to allow the car to coast.
Coasting only functions when you turn this function on. It will work both in automatic and manual shifting modes. You can also force it to coast by pulling the shift up paddle and it will disengange the transmission from the engine. Works well when going downhill.

#28 ·
[QUOTE="frankfurtnyc, post: 2632912, member: 153392]

When driving long distances on highways, I tend to turn on Auto Stop/Start function to allow the car to coast.
Coasting only functions when you turn this function on. It will work both in automatic and manual shifting modes. You can also force it to coast by pulling the shift up paddle and it will disengange the transmission from the engine. Works well when going downhill.
[/QUOTE]

Wait...it does what now? I didnt know this! Its why I value my membership here and its members for all the knowledge sharing! I did RTFM but I forget more than i know these days. Unfortunately comes with age but ymmv.

How does one know the Macan coasting is engaged as described? Are there any indicators on multidisplay stating such feature is active?

#20 ·
Congrats on your new Macan! Its a great feeling to own such an incredible car. The base Macan really does do the trick for everything you need. And congrats on the newborn too. This will make a great family car until you get 3 or more kids. I've made the move from a base to an S but honestly I still feel like the base is an incredible car. I use nothing but premium gas, usually Shell 92 octane. I anticipate you will soon be very interested in detailing products and gear. Enjoy your new Macan.

#26 ·
Oh yeah, I've already started buying detailing gear because I'm currently afraid of bringing to a car wash :p . The first thing I purchased the moment I got home from Porsche, was Weathertech floor mats (had with my Tundra for years and they really protected my interior to the point where the truck looked 3 years old vs 13 when I sold it), I purchased a cargo mat from Weathertech, a steering wheel cover, and a 'Baby on Board" tag from Porsche that reads "BABY NOT BORED :D ". Now I'm buying car wash items.

Have you/anyone used any type of paint clear protective coating/ceramic finish to protect the paint? On the show room floor I noticed a 'scratchiness" internal to the paint (not on the surface) and was told that's because black paint reveals all. I do not have the metallic black, just standard black. Not due to choice, but again - only 3 new Macan's to pick from on the lot due to Covid-19 and I couldn't wait 3 months to order :) .

#40 ·
Thanks man. I bought it on Amazon before going car shopping "in case " I purchased one, I wanted to have it for the picture. But let's real honest, I bought it weeks before to ensure I followed through and bought a Porsche:)

What the auto stop feature kills is the battery. When you look at the replacement expense of the battery including registering it you will conclude the cost isn't worth it, at least I did.
Great point. Didn't know you'd have to register everything, but I suppose warranty wise they lock you up?

Love the interior color!
Appreciate it. I was a bit concerned with black, because I live in FL heat. But like that black interior is forgiving with a little one at home too.

#41 ·
Awesome Congrats. great looking Macan.

#42 ·
Congratulations on your purchase! I am so excited for you feeling the excitement in your posts! A few thoughts on some of the things you mentioned in your posts:

You see higher octane requirements for high compression engines, especially turbo engines. The higher octane prevents knocking, as you mentioned you didn't hear pinging. Modern engines will change timing and/or reduce turbo boost and otherwise reduce performance if they detect knocking so they generally save themselves from damage, but reduce performance. The Macan Turbo I just picked up for my wife is noticeably down on power from when we test drove it, I assume because the dealership filled it with low octane gas. If Porsche requires higher octane gas, I would always run that to avoid damage at the very least.

As for discounts, I don't expect much now with inventory so low. I had a buddy try to buy a Taycan and was mad and walked away because he couldn't get a meaningful discount. I didn't really receive much of anything on an ordered 718 in December and didn't expect to receive much of anything on a Macan Turbo or GTS because the supply is low in my area. The flip side is the weird used market means trade-ins are more valuable.

As to the standard black, I had the metallic black on my last Porsche and I didn't really like it. It doesn't look as black as the standard black because of the metallic flake. I would have preferred the standard black, so I think you did well with what you bought.

I love your comment about people never driving their sports cars. I realized years ago that I'd rather just daily drive my sports car all the time instead of having a separate bad weather/winter car. I really don't understand the guys I know who keep their Caymans and 911s in the garage and barely drive them. Unless it's something rare, never driving it just seems silly to me. Enjoy it. If it gets rock chips get it repainted. Why do people buy them and just look at them in the garage? To each their own, but I'd rather drive.

Speaking of rock chips, detailing is my main hobby and I dislike paint protection film because it doesn't look as good as paint and gets beat up, marked, and etched in ways that can't be polished out like paint. Generally if I kept a car long enough I'd rather just have a chipped bumper and hood repainted, which is sort of on par with paint protection film cost. However I've been experimenting with paint protection film on sports cars since the entire front ends, not just the bumpers, seem to get destroyed by rocks. I don't fault anyone who uses PPF, it just isn't for me.

I've become a fan of ceramic coating, but I feel like it gets marketed incorrectly as some super amazing thing that prevents paint damage. I also think it gets marketed to high-end cars, where it really shines on regularly driven cars for people who actually care about washing/maintenance. Think of it as a semi-permanent wax. Apply it once every few years with proper maintenance and the car is so much easier to keep clean. The other mistake made with it is paying crazy money to have it professionally installed, since a big part of that cost should be paint correction (polishing) before installing the coating. If someone then doesn't properly care for the car the paint will just look swirled and damaged in short order and all that money was wasted.

If you do go for down the detailing rabbit hole, it's worth considering doing your own paint correction and coating. If it would be something you'd enjoy, you can get equipment and products for the same or less than the cost as paying to have it professionally done.

I just got excited you said you were buying detailing gear and were afraid of car washes. :D

#43 ·
If Porsche requires higher octane gas, I would always run that to avoid damage at the very least.
Having spent time working with a team engineering high performance Sportbike motors . . . I'd concur with that. Manufacturers don't reccomend higher cost fuels just to burn your money, they recceomend it as proper for the design of the motor.

I run the high octane in my cars that recommend it and I run lower octanes in the motors (like a Ford F-250SD and.Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit) that reccoemdn the lower octane.

It used to amaze me that we'd spend 3 years with a tire manufacturer and the Ohlins suspension folks finding precisely the correct tire to elicit the maximum performance. No one has a greater vested interest in your vehicle performing to it's greatest potential and minimizing potential problems. I used to laugh when someone would buy one of our bikes and immediately slap a fat rear tire on then complain about handling.

I always enjoy watching this video from when we went to play abasing the big boys . .

It was fun to be declared the best handling motorcycle . . . and still hear from all the folks who were internet on "improving" things.

I'd rather just have a chipped bumper and hood repainted,
I'm in the same boat. My calculation was to look at the $3K-$4K cost of the protection and weigh it against the diminished trade/resale as a result of any small chips and I think you'd have to get hit by a boulder to take the cost of the protection off the value. If I were keeping the car longer, it may change the equation.

#54 · (Edited)
1. Is it worth it to have the 'software' update done to the base model to achieve 50 more hp? (salesman said it was possible) - Are you talking about Cobb? There are tons of threads here about it and it is worth it. You might want to wait until your car breaks in which is around 2k miles. Also, read about managing that with taking car to dealer for warranty services. There is also Race Chip. was thinking about this before just opting to get GTS.

2. I got the wheel and tire protection plan (to me, worth it). Did you get the prepaid maintenance plan and if so, is it worth it? - I did not get either and did not miss it. I had to think about the 50 years of driving around D.C. that i had damaged a rim and tire due to a pothole and it was zero. The finance guy really tried to scare me into into by saying its $3500 a wheel.
3. Overall, how satisfied are you with you Macan? - 100% Ditto

4. The all electric Macan is supposed to come out next year. Do you think it'll be a lot more expensive? - Probably yes. It is what you should expect from Porsche. Ditto

5. I notice that Macan inventory is extremely limited on the lots due to Covid-19. How much (if any) of a percentage did you get off of MSRP? I got 'some' off but not as much as I did with my Toyota 13 years ago. I was told that a deep discount isn't likely with a Porsche and covid-19 slow down. - Lots of threads here. I got 0% since mine was one of the first ones back in 2015. It all depends on supply/demand, how much the dealer wants to sell that specific car, etc.. The discount varies, but I got $1000+ off sticker for the 2020 Macan base. I did get 3.7% off my recently purchased 2021 GTS along with a 2nd maintenance period and 1.92% financing.

6. What type of gas do you put in your Macan? I was under the impression that they require premium. At the dealership they topped mine of with 88 octane (I asked and they said their pump was 88 octane). I was confused and was told that it's the gas they used for all their new porsche vehicles. Do I need 93 or is 88 sufficient? I haven't noticed any pings, but only 70 miles on it so far. - Costco Kirkland 92 Premium. I happen to live less than a mile from a Costco so it is a no brainer. I have put 93 or 91 in at a minimum., no problems.

Hope this helps.

#57 ·
1. Is it worth it to have the 'software' update done to the base model to achieve 50 more hp? (salesman said it was possible)
2. I got the wheel and tire protection plan (to me, worth it). Did you get the prepaid maintenance plan and if so, is it worth it?
3. Overall, how satisfied are you with you Macan?
4. The all electric Macan is supposed to come out next year. Do you think it'll be a lot more expensive?
5. I notice that Macan inventory is extremely limited on the lots due to Covid-19. How much (if any) of a percentage did you get off of MSRP? I got 'some' off but not as much as I did with my Toyota 13 years ago. I was told that a deep discount isn't likely with a Porsche and covid-19 slow down.
6. What type of gas do you put in your Macan? I was under the impression that they require premium. At the dealership they topped mine of with 88 octane (I asked and they said their pump was 88 octane). I was confused and was told that it's the gas they used for all their new porsche vehicles. Do I need 93 or is 88 sufficient? I haven't noticed any pings, but only 70 miles on it so far.
Anyways, I'm happy to be here and look forward to seeing everyone's Macans.
I've been driving my 2017 base now coming up on my 4 year and soon to be warranty-less anniversary. It sits in the garage under a blanket all winter so at the moment it just turned 24,000 trouble free miles. At first my wife and I had an argument on ordering the base or S model. She claims I'm never satisfied :rolleyes: because I insisted on the S. I finally had to give in and ended up ordering a pretty heavily optioned base. I've since added a set of summer 20 inch wheels and a few other goodies so basically I'm in it for what the original S would have cost. Going back to the dealer next week to drop another thousand to have Sport Plus installed. Anyway, I have never been dissatisfied with the base performance, and I'm a car guy. I always drive in sport mode and use premium gas. The sound of the 2017 is pretty pathetic but I can live with it. At highway speeds the car is dead quiet and a pleasure to drive. I have a friend with a 2015 S and he wants to trade in on a new base, simply for ease of maintenance and long term reliability. We are both DIYers and do pretty much all of our own maintenance. I did notice the 2020 base loaner I had a year ago was indeed a step up from my 2017. They must have done a few minor performance tweaks because I could tell the new model is a bit more refined. And the loaner had sport plus, hence why I must have this upgrade. I have never heard of a software update to give the base 50 more HP. I doubt your salesman knows what he is talking about. I know when I was in the market I knew more about the Macan than my salesman did. As for cleaning and detailing, if you've never owned a black car before, you'll find out owning a black car is a lifestyle. I wash my wheels in the driveway with wheel cleaner, a wheel brush and hose. I then take it to the drive through car wash for the body wash. I bring it home to towel dry then spray it down with Zaino gloss enhancer or grand finale spray and wipe. The black color will knock your socks off using Zaino, and it's so easy to use. Welcome to the base family. You'll love it and for the rest of your life no other car brand will come close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.