Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this. I'm a little surprised but pleased, not that I have had any major problems. Probably surprised only because you can get a skewed perspective on a forum where many of the posts are about problems or questions looking for solutions.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Am surprised how far down parent company VW is.
And....Tesla has that many problems?? And Land Rover in last place?? LOL

Reactions: SteveL

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Wow did Audi take a dive. Behind Dodge and Ram. Wow. VAG in general sucks other than Porsh. ;)

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
217 Posts
if the Macan is the most cars that Porsche sold out of all their line up -- combined -- then does that mean the JD reliability rating is mostly of the Macan's reliability? If it does, then I feel pretty good to know my Macan's reliability potential.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, please help me if I'm not.

So, out of 100 cars Porsche sold on average 86 of them had to go back to the dealer ? And Land Rover's had 2.4ish problems per car? Obviously significantly worse than Porsche, but 86% of cars having issues seems too high. Must be misconstruing the data, that can't be right, right?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Keep in mind that the term "dependability," as used in these surveys, doesn't mean anything. J. D. Power considers everything from a spun rod bearing to a dropped Bluetooth connection to be a defect of equal importance.

So, no, the survey does not mean that 86 out of 100 Porsches had to go back to the dealer for a serious problem that took the vehicle out of service.

·
Premium Member
6,745 Posts
I got a Porsche and a Lexus in my garage, and a half broken BMW out on the street.

So far, the Porsche had a few warranty repairs but none out of warranty yet. Lexus is quite reliable but very boring. The BMW has a soul but is hindered by its quality issues to ascend.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

So, out of 100 cars Porsche sold on average 86 of them had to go back to the dealer ? And Land Rover's had 2.4ish problems per car? Obviously significantly worse than Porsche, but 86% of cars having issues seems too high. Must be misconstruing the data, that can't be right, right?
Reliability Ratings
J.D. Power Quality and Reliability ratings are a combination of quality and dependability scores. Quality scores are based on initial owner response and feedback of their new purchase whereas Dependability scores focus on longer-term ownership experiences of 3 years.

·
Registered
685 Posts

No. It counts the number of issues per units sold. In other words a car could have 2 issues and another car none.

Bottom line: Porsche build quality is higher than all but Lexus.

I'm happy with that! :)

Reactions: JRB

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks all, that helps.

If it's "issues" in that range @Noah Fect then I'm OK with that and also didn't realise that it's data over first 3 years of ownership either.
I understand that this data is at least trying to compare apples with apples, but if an issue can be anything from "a spun rod bearing to a dropped Bluetooth connection" then to me it's relatively useless info. Lexus could have 81 axles fall out and LR could have 244 broken radio knobs and Lexus would get the better rating.

Don't get me wrong, happy that Porsche have least problems barring Lexus, just not happy that it doesn't differentiate, @JoeInBucks the ratings taking into account other scores is a better ranking system in my opinion. I'm no statistician, mathematician or scientist, but other than looking pretty awful for LR owners I couldn't read much into the first table.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all, that helps.

If it's "issues" in that range @Noah Fect then I'm OK with that and also didn't realise that it's data over first 3 years of ownership either.
I understand that this data is at least trying to compare apples with apples, but if an issue can be anything from "a spun rod bearing to a dropped Bluetooth connection" then to me it's relatively useless info. Lexus could have 81 axles fall out and LR could have 244 broken radio knobs and Lexus would get the better rating.

Don't get me wrong, happy that Porsche have least problems barring Lexus, just not happy that it doesn't differentiate, @JoeInBucks the ratings taking into account other scores is a better ranking system in my opinion. I'm no statistician, mathematician or scientist, but other than looking pretty awful for LR owners I couldn't read much into the first table.
Since JD Power does break down the top three vehicles in a variety of categories they must have the data for all or at least most vehicles. Maybe if you scoured their website you could find it.

·
Premium Member
6,745 Posts
I often imagine what if the German top brands can rival the best of Japanese brands in regard to long term reliability. They would crowd out all other luxury brands and dominate the world very quickly.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Keep in mind that the term "dependability," as used in these surveys, doesn't mean anything. J. D. Power considers everything from a spun rod bearing to a dropped Bluetooth connection to be a defect of equal importance.

So, no, the survey does not mean that 86 out of 100 Porsches had to go back to the dealer for a serious problem that took the vehicle out of service.
Clearly you are not familiar with the questionnaire methodology.

JD Power does not attempt to define what a serious problem is. They leave it up to the survey respondents to do so, much the same way that consumer reports does. Of course that brings an element of subjectiveness into the results because one respondent’s definition of a serious problem may be different than the next respondent.

No one, including JD Power, would ever claim their methodology is perfect. But this type of bias in a survey tends to even itself out when applied to large quantities of respondents.

As you claim to know so much about this, very curious curious to hear how you would modify the tabulations to reduce this bias. While this type of study can never be perfect due to the subject of this, it’s certainly more meaningful versus asking a small number of owners for their personal experiences.

Part of this endless debate goes back to the question of what constitutes “reliability”. You will hear many Tesla owners constantly complain their cars get knocked on surveys like this because of complaints about sloppy body panel and interior trim fit, that this issue has nothing to do with reliability, they really don’t care that certain body panels don’t fit quite evenly, and the electric power trains tend to be very trouble free. I don’t know what the answer is, but it certainly pays to dig into the results and understand where they’re coming from versus making a pronouncement that Lexus is more reliable than Porsche because they received a score of 81 instead of a score of 86, when in reality that small difference is probably not statistically significant. All you can really say is that Porsche and Lexus tended to score very high in surveys like this by both JD Power and consumer reports.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As you claim to know so much about this, very curious curious to hear how you would modify the tabulations to reduce this bias.
Easy. All they have to do is ask, "How many times did your vehicle fail in a way that prevented you from driving it?"

That's "dependability." Everything else is optional.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Doesn’t reliable mean that it operates as it was intended too including any accessory regardless how trivial? Not being defective to a point that it won’t even operate anymore.

Landover owners try and dismiss these reports on the basis they are trivial issues and so shouldn’t count

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's a question of how you define dependability. Some of the issues are trivial and some aren't. The problem is, we don't know, and the reports will naturally be biased according to how picky the owners are, how many other cars they are likely to own, and how vital the car is to their lifestyle.

If the car leaves you unable to get to work in the morning, it's not dependable. If there's a squeak or rattle from the dashboard when it goes over bumps, it's annoying, but not a dependability issue. These surveys don't make a clear and proper distinction.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts