Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Macan Forum friends,

I have seen the perfectly coloured and accessorised Macan Turbo that I want.

It is owned by a Porsche Garage and was registered in January 2020, so it is 6 months old - I think it is the showroom model for people to see.

I have to fly to mainland Spain to see it, as I live on an island 2.5 hours away, and then I will need to drive it 5 hours to the port and then travel 35 hours by ferry to get it home. It's probably going to cost me about €1,500 to get it home plus a lot of administration.

It is advertised at €119,600 brand new. I have told them I can fly there on 21 July to buy it and have asked about paying a deposit and what is the best price.

They want a €10,000 deposit, sight unseen (presumably non refundable) and they are prepared to discount the price by €900 to €119,600.

Do you have any advice for me about how to deal with this? Once I have bought the car, I would not be dealing with this Porsche Garage again, but instead, with the garage on my island (Gran Canaria).

I feel the deposit is very high and that the price reduction is very low, considering that probably not many people want exactly the specification that this car has.

What is your advice?

Thanks. xxxxx

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo PP, 2013 911S manual, 1991 C4 Coupe
55 Posts
When you say Porsche Garage you mean a Porsche dealer? Do you have a link to the car?

I would not pay a deposit at all and ask for a minimum 10k discount if this has been used as a demo car. Also, if this is a reputable dealer, do you have to fly to see this in person? Seems like a big hassle, unless you have not driven a Macan before?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Hello Macan Forum friends,

I have seen the perfectly coloured and accessorised Macan Turbo that I want.

It is owned by a Porsche Garage and was registered in January 2020, so it is 6 months old - I think it is the showroom model for people to see.

I have to fly to mainland Spain to see it, as I live on an island 2.5 hours away, and then I will need to drive it 5 hours to the port and then travel 35 hours by ferry to get it home. It's probably going to cost me about €1,500 to get it home plus a lot of administration.

It is advertised at €119,600 brand new. I have told them I can fly there on 21 July to buy it and have asked about paying a deposit and what is the best price.

They want a €10,000 deposit, sight unseen (presumably non refundable) and they are prepared to discount the price by €900 to €119,600.

Do you have any advice for me about how to deal with this? Once I have bought the car, I would not be dealing with this Porsche Garage again, but instead, with the garage on my island (Gran Canaria).

I feel the deposit is very high and that the price reduction is very low, considering that probably not many people want exactly the specification that this car has.

What is your advice?

Thanks. xxxxx
If you do choose to buy the car have you thought about leaving it on the mainland? Then you would have some place to drive it. Gran Canaria is so small that a Ducati would be a big gun there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say Porsche Garage you mean a Porsche dealer? Do you have a link to the car?

I would not pay a deposit at all and ask for a minimum 10k discount if this has been used as a demo car. Also, if this is a reputable dealer, do you have to fly to see this in person? Seems like a big hassle, unless you have not driven a Macan before?
I have to fly there in order to pick it up and bring it home with me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you do choose to buy the car have you thought about leaving it on the mainland? Then you would have some place to drive it. Gran Canaria is so small that a Ducati would be a big gun there.
I need a car where I live. I'm not sure why I would buy a car and not be able to drive it?

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
What is your advice?

Thanks. xxxxx
There is no way that I would even consider sending a large deposit , fly to the mainland , and ship the car . There are so many things that can go wrong with this that its unbelievable . I realize that you like the color and options but if it looks to good to be true then it isn't true . Obviously someone got tired of that specific car and wants a lot of money w9th no guarantee .

You have a dealership . I went to Gran Canaria when I was 12 years old (50 years ago ..lol) Centro Oficial Porsche Las Palmas

Talk to them . Usually an Island with one dealership is never cheap so you can't expect to bargain shop this . However .. at least you won't get ripped off or face a huge risk exposure to problems .

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no way that I would even consider sending a large deposit , fly to the mainland , and ship the car . There are so many things that can go wrong with this that its unbelievable . I realize that you like the color and options but if it looks to good to be true then it isn't true . Obviously someone got tired of that specific car and wants a lot of money w9th no guarantee .

You have a dealership . I went to Gran Canaria when I was 12 years old (50 years ago ..lol) Centro Oficial Porsche Las Palmas

Talk to them . Usually an Island with one dealership is never cheap so you can't expect to bargain shop this . However .. at least you won't get ripped off or face a huge risk exposure to problems .

Good luck.
The car is being sold by the Porsche Dealer in Murcia. They said that it has been the showroom car since January and now they are selling it. It will come with the Porsche guarantee.

The Porsche dealership in Gran Canaria don't have that car - in fact, they only have one basic Porsche Macan available to drive at all, and for a while, they didn't have any. I did go to their showroom a few times, but they have not been able to give me a test drive, and in fact, last time I went, they just ignored me completely. I think they are not used to selling cars to women. I have told them that I plan to go to Murcia to buy the car and they haven't said anything about that.

What problems should I be looking out for if I go to Murcia to buy the car?

I suppose I could put the deposit onto a credit card, so I could get credit protection from the bank if when I arrive there is no car. But they have showed me the car on the video, so I know that it is real.

I am a bit scared now! But I'm not sure what I need to be scared of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Here is the link to the car.https://www.milanuncios.com/porsche-de-segunda-mano/porsche-macan-turbo-353610553.htm.

It is being sold by Porsche Murcia.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
The car is being sold by the Porsche Dealer in Murcia. They said that it has been the showroom car since January and now they are selling it. It will come with the Porsche guarantee.

The Porsche dealership in Gran Canaria don't have that car - in fact, they only have one basic Porsche Macan available to drive at all, and for a while, they didn't have any. I did go to their showroom a few times, but they have not been able to give me a test drive, and in fact, last time I went, they just ignored me completely. I think they are not used to selling cars to women. I have told them that I plan to go to Murcia to buy the car and they haven't said anything about that.

What problems should I be looking out for if I go to Murcia to buy the car?

I suppose I could put the deposit onto a credit card, so I could get credit protection from the bank if when I arrive there is no car. But they have showed me the car on the video, so I know that it is real.

I am a bit scared now! But I'm not sure what I need to be scared of.
1) The first problem is the deposit on a sight unseen car . It is a huge deposit and the car is used ("registered" ) even though its relatively new . You did not say how many kilometers are on it. . A used car with kilometers opens up more questions .

2) Shipping the car on a boat is a big deal . Some guys buy a car with European delivery with no problems but that is not always the case . In your case this car is from a private Porsche dealership . If you face any problem they are not only far away but you already said that your local dealership is not treating you with respect . That could be a big problem with a broken car that you did not buy there .

3) The car is not cheap , plus you have to travel (which does have COVID risk, time and money) , and its just not worth it .

The dealership in Murcia probably has a car but I did not see inventory on their website . I dont think that's the problem . I just feel you would be better off ordering a car . I have seen this before where places where there is only one dealership makes it very tough. There also is not excuse for them to not take you seriously because you are a woman. I would ask to speak with a sales manager , look him right in the eye and say "I am a serious buyer and wants to be treated with every courtesy if I order a car here . This is my first Porsche and could be the beginning of many future Porsches if you win my business ." Have a build ready and your checkbook in your hand . If they let you walk then they dont deserve you but dont run into an even worse problem . The Murcia car is just too much risk.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Here is the link to the car.https://www.milanuncios.com/porsche-de-segunda-mano/porsche-macan-turbo-353610553.htm.

It is being sold by Porsche Murcia.
I see it now. It is very beautiful . It does have kilometers . Someone did buy that car , drove it , and let it go. It almost costs as much as a new car . Plus its far away .

I understand that it looks so good that you just want to take it home but its more complicated than that . It's not like buying jewelry or a handbag . A car is an appliance which has to be reliable . Its also a. large item so transporting it by boat adds another concern . The last part is that if something is wrong with it then you do have a very expensive item and will have to count on a dealership that you were not happy with to fix it .

I do ike the car . I do not like the worry . Your first post shows worry . You are not wrong for feeling that way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see it now. It is very beautiful . It does have kilometers . Someone did buy that car , drove it , and let it go. It almost costs as much as a new car . Plus its far away .

I understand that it looks so good that you just want to take it home but its more complicated than that . It's not like buying jewelry or a handbag . A car is an appliance which has to be reliable . Its also a. large item so transporting it by boat adds another concern . The last part is that if something is wrong with it then you do have a very expensive item and will have to count on a dealership that you were not happy with to fix it .

I do ike the car . I do not like the worry . Your first post shows worry . You are not wrong for feeling that way.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, I really appreciate it.

Yes, the car has about 3,500km on it. And yes, it is expensive.

To get the car, I will need to fly to Murcia on the Tuesday (as the direct flights are only once a week) and then drive about 6 hours to the port, and book onto the ferry (which also goes only once a week) and travel on the ferry for two days. And yes, I´ll have to deal with paperwork, and taxes, and organise someone to house and dog sit while I am gone. So yes, that is a lot of work.

The dealer in Gran Canaria seems a bit hopeless: I had e mailed them, using the e mail on their website, but later I found out that they don't check their e mails at all. I had gone to the showroom and waited to be seen, but even though there were no other customers, I was ignored, I sat on the sofa waiting area looking anxiously at the man at the desk, who continued to ignore me, until 10 minutes later I left. Eventually I was able to speak to them on the phone and said I wanted to organise a test drive, but they said it wasn't possible. So I flew to Madrid to do a test drive. Now they send me Whatsapps occasionally, e.g. with details of a Cayenne for sale (I don't want a Cayenne), and I've sent them a WhatsApp saying I've seen this car in Murcia, but they haven't offered any help. To be honest, the uselessness of the Porsche dealership in Gran Canaria does concern me, because even if I buy a new car from them, I wonder whether, if it needs a repair or a service, maybe they just won't reply to me, or ignore me. It would be rather difficult if I can't get support from them.

Hm, I can see some of the problems now.

It seems to be surprisingly difficult to buy a Porsche!

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, I really appreciate it.

Yes, the car has about 3,500km on it. And yes, it is expensive.

To get the car, I will need to fly to Murcia on the Tuesday (as the direct flights are only once a week) and then drive about 6 hours to the port, and book onto the ferry (which also goes only once a week) and travel on the ferry for two days. And yes, I´ll have to deal with paperwork, and taxes, and organise someone to house and dog sit while I am gone. So yes, that is a lot of work.

The dealer in Gran Canaria seems a bit hopeless: I had e mailed them, using the e mail on their website, but later I found out that they don't check their e mails at all. I had gone to the showroom and waited to be seen, but even though there were no other customers, I was ignored, I sat on the sofa waiting area looking anxiously at the man at the desk, who continued to ignore me, until 10 minutes later I left. Eventually I was able to speak to them on the phone and said I wanted to organise a test drive, but they said it wasn't possible. So I flew to Madrid to do a test drive. Now they send me Whatsapps occasionally, e.g. with details of a Cayenne for sale (I don't want a Cayenne), and I've sent them a WhatsApp saying I've seen this car in Murcia, but they haven't offered any help. To be honest, the uselessness of the Porsche dealership in Gran Canaria does concern me, because even if I buy a new car from them, I wonder whether, if it needs a repair or a service, maybe they just won't reply to me, or ignore me. It would be rather difficult if I can't get support from them.

Hm, I can see some of the problems now.

It seems to be surprisingly difficult to buy a Porsche!
Where I live it's easy but you face several issues . You are isolated on the island. That gives the dealership an elitist feeling . I have seen it on other countries too . I have even. seen it in the USA in regions where Porsche dealerships are more rare .

Even if you did all the work to get the car it will have to go to service where you live . If you order a car you'd have to wait and if that dealership has been rude before even seeing your money they might be worse when it comes down to waiting .

There has to be at least one person in that dealership who can make this happen for you . You have to find that person . The guy at the desk is just a gate keeper with no real brain but somewhere in there the right person can open the door . He would have to convince you of an exact timeline , request a small refundable deposit , and introduce you to someone in service who can restore your confidence .

A good Porsche dealership representative will be committed to accuracy and customer satisfaction . Try to find that one person . If it fails ,, well then at least you tried and you didn't lose any money or travel time . You even get to be with your dog . Its all good .

I wish you the best and hope it works !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where I live it's easy but you face several issues . You are isolated on the island. That gives the dealership an elitist feeling . I have seen it on other countries too . I have even. seen it in the USA in regions where Porsche dealerships are more rare .

Even if you did all the work to get the car it will have to go to service where you live . If you order a car you'd have to wait and if that dealership has been rude before even seeing your money they might be worse when it comes down to waiting .

There has to be at least one person in that dealership who can make this happen for you . You have to find that person . The guy at the desk is just a gate keeper with no real brain but somewhere in there the right person can open the door . He would have to convince you of an exact timeline , request a small refundable deposit , and introduce you to someone in service who can restore your confidence .

A good Porsche dealership representative will be committed to accuracy and customer satisfaction . Try to find that one person . If it fails ,, well then at least you tried and you didn't lose any money or travel time . You even get to be with your dog . Its all good .

I wish you the best and hope it works !

Thank you.

I suppose the owner or the manager of the showroom is the person I need to talk to.

(Or buy another make of car ...... )

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Thank you.

I suppose the owner or the manager of the showroom is the person I need to talk to.

(Or buy another make of car ...... )
At that price level you deserve the car that really is your number 1 choice . Think positive . They would have to be crazy to let this sale opportunity go.

PS .. You do have good taste . It really does look very nice in the chalk with those wheels and will look even better being new and in your home . Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At that price level you deserve the car that really is your number 1 choice . Think positive . They would have to be crazy to let this sale opportunity go.

PS .. You do have good taste . It really does look very nice in the chalk with those wheels and will look even better being new and in your home . Good luck.

Thank you. Yes, it looks gorgeous.

I will try to get a price for a brand new one from the Dealership in Gran Canaria with those colours and all the specifications on it that I want - maybe the Macan S rather than the Turbo. And see how long the wait would be.

Then compare it to the price of the Turbo at the Murcia garage and see what I think then.

Thanks so much for your help

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo PP, 2013 911S manual, 1991 C4 Coupe
55 Posts
Sorry to hear you have to jump through such hoops to get a car from Porsche. I am shocked by the treatment that Porsche in Gran Canaria exhibits. In Los Angeles there are so many dealers, so quite some competition and I have always been lucky that all were very forthcoming with test drives, etc.

The link seems to no longer work...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts