Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience installing the item noted above in the title?

During my state inspection yesterday, and using a new procedure, the service tech
used a floor jack to raise the right and left front of my Macan. One one side the jack
damaged the jack socket (part no. 95B802845A9B9).

The shop agreed to provide a replacement and I've ordered one already.

It looks as though a bold secures it to the unibody.

Thx!

;)

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Oh crap! Why did he have to raise it up?
That's how they check the front ball joints on vehicles for excessive wear or failure...

The inspection stations jack up the front wheels (usually one at a time), then place a big pry bar under the raised wheel to check for play.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Where do you live that a state inspection requires a look at the ball joints...especially on a new or near-new vehicle.
I don't know where PSEE hails from, but it's required in Mass as part of the "safety" portion of the yearly inspection. Newer vehicles are exempt from the emissions portion though.

New vehicles can have damaged ball joints too you know...

This is a good reminder for Macan owners to keep an eye on these jokers at inspection stations when they attempt to jack up your car...to ensure they have the right adapter for their jack!

·
Registered
162 Posts
That's how they check the front ball joints on vehicles for excessive wear or failure...

The inspection stations jack up the front wheels (usually one at a time), then place a big pry bar under the raised wheel to check for play.
Also wheel bearings. I've had a garage use a floor jack on another vehicle when performing these checks. I'll have to pay extra attention when my Macan is due, or take it all the way to the dealer.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I don't know where PSEE hails from, but it's required in Mass as part of the "safety" portion of the yearly inspection. Newer vehicles are exempt from the emissions portion though.

New vehicles can have damaged ball joints too you know...

This is a good reminder for Macan owners to keep an eye on these jokers at inspection stations when they attempt to jack up your car...to ensure they have the right adapter for their floor jack!

OMG what a waste, they don't even do this in the Peoples Republic of California. :eek:

·
Registered
365 Posts
The "jacking socket" can be replaced by removing the fasteners that retain the fiberboard in the vicinity of the jacking socket. Prying the fiberboard out of the way will give access to the bolt holding the socket in place. Installation is simply a reversal of the above. Note: For greater ease of access, it may be necessary to drive the closest wheel onto a 2x12 or similar wide, thick board

Reactions: Shark

·
Registered
268 Posts
There have been no issues when I have used a floor jack to lift a wheel up. I take time to carefully align the flat disc of the jack to the jacking point. I do this twice each year when changing winter wheels to summer wheels or vice versa. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
A local service station put my Macan on a hydraulic lift and the air suspension became stuck in an exceedingly high position.

They had to call Porsche to figure out how to "fix" it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Luckily, in NY, while we do have to get safety inspection done annually, it can be done by a Porsche dealer.

If I had to take my Macan or (gasp) GT4 to a state inspection station like they have in other states I would be stressed out. I would probably bring my jack pads and protective socket with me and give them a $20 and ask them nicely to please use the special tools. I would then re-torque all if the lugs when I got home using a proper torque wrench.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Luckily, in NY, while we do have to get safety inspection done annually, it can be done by a Porsche dealer.

If I had to take my Macan or (gasp) GT4 to a state inspection station like they have in other states I would be stressed out. I would probably bring my jack pads and protective socket with me and give them a $20 and ask them nicely to please use the special tools. I would then re-torque all if the lugs when I got home using a proper torque wrench.
You have a link for that "protective socket"?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
A local service station put my Macan on a hydraulic lift and the air suspension became stuck in an exceedingly high position.

They had to call Porsche to figure out how to "fix" it.
When I take my Macan to my local tire guy semi-annually for a seasonal tire switch over I turn off the AS for him and tell him that I've done so. I would not expect him to know how. But I will say I trust him more not to scratch my rims versus the average tech at a Porsche dealer, and I have to believe the dealer would charge me double or more for the same service. He does use a torque wrench, and after a couple of hundred miles I do a recheck with my own torque wrench. Many good tire shops and garages will suggest you return for a free recheck after a couple of hundred miles.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I own that same Sunex 19mm socket. Whenever any shop has to take a wheel off, I hand them both the security wrench socket adapter & the Sunex & ask them to use that to protect the wheels. Never had anyone complain. I don't think you need to tip them. I don't think it is any more work for them. I prefer to not have other people going under the floor to get the security wrench socket adapter & perhaps forget to put it back. I control the distribution & return of that item (& my Sunex.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The "jacking socket" can be replaced by removing the fasteners that retain the fiberboard in the vicinity of the jacking socket. Prying the fiberboard out of the way will give access to the bolt holding the socket in place. Installation is simply a reversal of the above. Note: For greater ease of access, it may be necessary to drive the closest wheel onto a 2x12 or similar wide, thick board
These are great instructions. The only thing I would add is there is a large round piece toward the inboard side holding the plastic covering in place (in addition to the small bolts). This is a pressure fitting that snaps in and out once you have the bolts holding the plastic cover removed (4).

·
Registered
952 Posts
Is this of any help (pictures!)?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts