Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maiden voyage this weekend.

Trailex 7541. 2004 GT3. No issues. Pulled well, accelerated fine, no handling issues.

That said, I "knew" there was a loaded trailer back there.

I live in southern NJ which is flat and have a track (NJMP) about 30+/- miles from me. Mainly I wanted the ability to get the GT3 to my mechanic periodically and to take it to NJMP. For out of State tows I will use another (less comfy) vehicle.

Hardwired a Tekonsha P3. If interested: There is a port under dash for the controller (at least there is with the the Tow Package). One needs an Audi housing (plug), p/n1J0-972-782, a four piece wire set (to wire the connector with the P3 to the Audi connector for the port), and a 12 volt open relay (for resistance associated with Porsche brake lights (see here: http://www.etrailer.com/question-123006.html http://www.etrailer.com/question-123006.html;and link on R side to Cayenne install). I have some bad iPhone pics if anyone is interested.

Now before anyone is too impressed, my friend is a Gold Certified Porsche Tech :)

My Macan is dirty, sorry in advance..

(....second post so hopefully this works...)

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts

Trailex 7541. 2004 GT3. No issues. Pulled well, accelerated fine, no handling issues.

I live in southern NJ which is flat and have a track (NJMP) about 30+/- miles from me. Mainly I wanted the ability to get the GT3 to my mechanic periodically and to take it to NJMP. For out of State tows I will use another (less comfy) vehicle.

Hardwired a Tekonsha P3. If interested: There is a port under dash for the controller (at least there is with the the Tow Package). One needs an Audi housing (plug), p/n1J0-972-782, a four piece wire set (to wire the connector with the P3 to the Audi connector for the port), and a 12 volt open relay (for resistance associated with Porsche brake lights (see here: Installing a Tekonsha Brake Controller on 2015 Porsche Macan | etrailer.com http://www.etrailer.com/question-123006.html;and link on R side to Cayenne install). I have some bad iPhone pics if anyone is interested.

Now before anyone is too impressed, my friend is a Gold Certified Porsche Tech :)

Sweet! Can you post a picture of the controller and port? I've got the tow package....maybe I missed the port in the owners manual.

Reactions: Louie Zoi

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not in manual IIRC.

The port is located up under the dash to the driver's side quarter panel and is shown in the (bad) pic showing the 4 yellow wires (the ref four piece wire set).

Pics attached of the Audi connector, the 4 piece wire set, the relay (wired), and the P3 with tail (that the 4 piece set/relay marries to).

HTH!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Awesome post. Love the tow picture in the opening post. Nice work all around!

·
Registered
45 Posts
New info to add to this old post....

Originally ordered my car without factory trailer hitch but decided to install it afterwards in order to use my trailer hitch bike rack. Bought the factory hitch and necessary wiring components thru Suncoast, did a self install then had the dealer do the required programming.

I now want to be able to tow my Cayman S to track events so I needed to add a brake controller.

Just finished installing a Tekonsha P3 brake controller thanks to the previous info posted by Cello. First thing I checked was whether my 2015 Macan S actually had the brake controller connector under the dashboard as described in initial post being that I didn't order the trailer hitch from the factory. I can confirm that at least on my car the connector was there. The connector is wrapped in gray foam and its very difficult to see. I order to search for the connector I tried to remove the plastic cover underneath the drivers side of the dash but it turned out to be very difficult so I just reached under the dash and felt my way around until I was able to locate the connector.

I then purchased the connector and 2 wires mentioned in the post and connected it per the instructions in the "e-trailer" link also in the initial post.

Bottom line is that if you didn't order the factory trailer hitch the required brake controller connector under the dashboard is still there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Calafer,
Can you provide more detail in where you finally located the plug? I too cannot seem to remove the lower dash panel... I removed the 3 obvious screws, but don't see an easy way to separate the lower panel from the dash front...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Carefull, it's best to place your 911 backwards on your trailer to increase trailer stability. Now you have a huge weight (engine) trying to lift the front of the trailer and the rear of the towing vehicle.
Given where the trailer wheels are, the OP is OK. Backing in would probably put too much weight on the tongue and certainly would not allow the tire rack to remain where it is.

Reactions: RJMcInnis and Benz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Calafer,
Can you provide more detail in where you finally located the plug? I too cannot seem to remove the lower dash panel... I removed the 3 obvious screws, but don't see an easy way to separate the lower panel from the dash front...
Yes, please. Can anyone provide a better description as to where exactly the plug is. I have a 2017 GTS with factory towing package so I would assume the plug is there but I cannot find it.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It’s both a working breed and a sporting breed, to use dog terminology. And a pet? Some are quite pampered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Calafer,
Did you ever locate the brake controller plug? I just picked up a 17 Macan S and trying to install the controller I pulled from my Q5. That took some time locate but the Macan has been a total mystery.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Hello @cello , not sure if you're still reading this but i'm looking for a good Indy porsche mechanic in NJ. If you're friend is open to doing more business, can you please PM me his/her contact information?

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
having towed a number of times with my Macans and multiple other vehicles, it does great.
I saw a few cayennes pulling track cars on trailers during my track days. You need the “Porsche Support Vehicle” sticker on your inner rear window.

Hardwired a Tekonsha P3. If interested: There is a port under dash for the controller (at least there is with the the Tow Package). One needs an Audi housing (plug), p/n1J0-972-782, a four piece wire set (to wire the connector with the P3 to the Audi connector for the port), and a 12 volt open relay (for resistance associated with Porsche brake lights (see here: http://www.etrailer.com/question-123006.html http://www.etrailer.com/question-123006.html;and link on R side to Cayenne install). I have some bad iPhone pics if anyone is interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts