Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
coming from Audi Q5 to the Macan, Quattro is not the same as the AWD on our Macan. The Macan is good with or without Off-road Switched, but the Quattro is far better.
I had an A4 which was great. I haven't put the Macan though the same torture since I know it is a SUV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had quite a bit of experience in ice driving (as in, on a frozen lake), across a variety of vehicles (ranging from a Toyota 4Runner, to a VW GTI, and several Audis, including RS5, RS3, A4, A6, and Q5). I got my 2017 Macan a few months ago, and have been able to get it on the ice a couple times this year. I'd say it's comparable with the Audis, it was wonderfully balanced (on winter tires).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe the all the vehicles under the current MLBevo platform use the same AWD system, Audi Quattro. Same engine, same transmission as well.
I'm not sure of a difference between Macan and Q5, but MLBevo platform-wise, all same. best bang for the buck will be VW Touareg.
1st gen Macan shares the same platform from previous gen Q5, im not sure if the current gen Macan is sharing current gen Q5 platform... if so, they will use the same AWD, i would assume.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I've owned two X5's. An 02 and an 06. Both were the 'is' models.The BMW's were terribly heavy. At least they drove like they weighed a lot (I've not done a weight comparo BMW vs Macan vs ML63). Clumsy in turns at speed. I've also owned that 09 ML63 AMG. The ML was actually a great SUV. About the size of the Macan. A beast. Truly. The V8 is the same as in the C63AMG's tuned to 481 like the P2 package. But this was tuned to 550. Reason I sold it is becaue I hated the seats. Very uncomfortable for me.

The Macan feels nimble and gives me 'a sense' of agility because of the short body length and the AWD with 20's. It feels like it struggles sometimes as if it needs more HP. It's about the weight. I get it.

Next time I need to take it in to my dealership, I need to ask how they feel about a Cobb/BGB tune. My gut tells me they'll push back on the from a liability perspective.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Generally our Macan and Q5 seem to have about the same winter capability.

The one scenario where the Macan is clearly superior is very deep snow (feet) because we have AS which raises the car in Offroad mode enabling it to better clear deep snow.

With the Macan (With 21 inch Pirelli Winter Scorpions) we had no problem getting up a steep driveway with 2 feet of fresh powder on it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
not sure if cars are new to you, but why even ask that to your dealership?
Because there have been people who have taken their vehicles to their dealership. In some instances, I actually called the guy's bluff and called the dealership. Played dumb and was told they install non-MB stuff and will warranty it. Goes without saying if he took it to another dealership, he might have been turned away. So, yeah. Before I would think about putting on any aftermarket tune, regardless from who, I don't want to jeapardize my current relationship as well as screw up my warranties (4/50 plus Geico MBI). But hey, thanks for asking.

·
Super Moderator
8,416 Posts
Because there have been people who have taken their vehicles to their dealership. In some instances, I actually called the guy's bluff and called the dealership. Played dumb and was told they install non-MB stuff and will warranty it. Goes without saying if he took it to another dealership, he might have been turned away. So, yeah. Before I would think about putting on any aftermarket tune, regardless from who, I don't want to jeapardize my current relationship as well as screw up my warranties (4/50 plus Geico MBI). But hey, thanks for asking.
Dealerships don't make warranty decisions. PCNA does. A dealer can be "mod" friendly and gladly install parts for you. Why not? Its work for the Service Department. But it something does break, there is no guarantee PCNA will pay. The dealer can argue in your behalf or warrant the work on their dime, but in the end, they are not the decision makers for PCNA. PCNA decides.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
You're right. Absolutely. Once you plug something into your vehicle, you will lose a warranty fight every time. An analogy: you get a ticket for slowing down for a stop sign. Nothing around you. But you get popped anyway. You decide to a trial by a judge instead of a jury. You will lose every time. The law is black and white. There is no gray area. Trial by jury, you have a chance to get it dismissed.

In instances like this, the bottom line, if thiings really go south for whatever reason, the vehicle had been tuned and PCNA will deny you. It's simply black or white. There's no gray here either.

·
Registered
971 Posts
You're right. Absolutely. Once you plug something into your vehicle, you will lose a warranty fight every time. An analogy: you get a ticket for slowing down for a stop sign. Nothing around you. But you get popped anyway. You decide to a trial by a judge instead of a jury. You will lose every time. The law is black and white. There is no gray area. Trial by jury, you have a chance to get it dismissed.

In instances like this, the bottom line, if thiings really go south for whatever reason, the vehicle had been tuned and PCNA will deny you. It's simply black or white. There's no gray here either.
You know that you can uninstall the cobb and bring the car in. I've done so before every maintenance, recall, computer update, etc.

this is why people like me (and others) have had the cobb tune very early on (for me, 2500 miles) and have been able to enjoy it since then. And you... are driving your car stock because you have to ask your dealership if they'll allow you to do anything.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm gonna pull a Pete Davidson on you and answer you this way: Okay...

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just got rid of a 2017 Subaru 3.6L Outback and the car was nothing short of amazing. Subaru has some of the most thoughtful and detailed engineering I have ever seen in a vehicle. The car was inexpensive, amazing and boring.

Life's short . . and boring sealed it's fate.

But . . in terms of performance . . . everything from the Symetrical AWD to the Xenon lighting . . . was impressive.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts