Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my car checked out at the dealership and was told that oil seepage is normal. Porsche will not work on it unless it's actually leaking oil.

Has anyone experience this on their Macan Turbo? Mine is a 2015 with 30k miles on it.

The seepage is located in the front lower corner of valve cover?

Hope some of you owners would chime in. Thanks.

·
Registered
950 Posts
No way is that normal. It's not a Harley.
You're either very lucky or live in a very moderate climate. Every car I've owned leaked or burned at least a small amount of oil. Dealer response is typically that it's "not a problem" unless you're having to add more then a quart of top-off oil between oil changes (either because of leaking oil or burning oil). Over time I've come to generally agree. You don't want them ripping stuff apart unless you need them to.

So far my Macan has been better than the BMWs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No way is that normal. It's not a Harley.
You're either very lucky or live in a very moderate climate. Every car I've owned leaked or burned at least a small amount of oil. Dealer response is typically that it's "not a problem" unless you're having to add more then a quart of top-off oil between oil changes (either because of leaking oil or burning oil). Over time I've come to generally agree. You don't want them ripping stuff apart unless you need them to.

So far my Macan has been better than the BMWs.
I've had oil burning on many cars including BMWs. But I've never had oil trace seepage and have someone tell me that's a normal occurrence. And that it is absolutely acceptable by Porsche standards.

The reason for not performing the repairs on my car was "not excessive amount of oil leakage". They will only work on it if it's dripping, and not seeping.

It also makes sense to not take apart the engine unless I'm loosing a lot of oil which can cause major damage.

I just want to see if any other Macan or Porsche owners have had such experiences with these cars in such a fashion?

The seepage are not visible unless you work on the car yourself and look in detail.

The average person would not have spot this. Maybe not even the tech's on a normal inspection check as I had to tell them where I found it.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I'm not sure what you want them to do when you think it makes sense to not taking apart the engine to fix the problem here? What you could do is ask them to clean the engine of the oil seepage and see when/how much the seepage occurs again. You can then determine the next course of action.

I've had oil burning on many cars including BMWs. But I've never had oil trace seepage and have someone tell me that's a normal occurrence. And that it is absolutely acceptable by Porsche standards.

The reason for not performing the repairs on my car was "not excessive amount of oil leakage". They will only work on it if it's dripping, and not seeping.

It also makes sense to not take apart the engine unless I'm loosing a lot of oil which can cause major damage.

I just want to see if any other Macan or Porsche owners have had such experiences with these cars in such a fashion?

The seepage are not visible unless you work on the car yourself and look in detail.

The average person would not have spot this. Maybe not even the tech's on a normal inspection check as I had to tell them where I found it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just want to see if anyone else is experiencing this on their Macan and if this was a normal thing. As I was advised this is normal in a Porsche.

So far the first two post say it's not normal.

One other saying it's fine.

But so far no one has had the same problem.

Would be nice to gather some data from other owners.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I just want to see if anyone else is experiencing this on their Macan and if this was a normal thing. As I was advised this is normal in a Porsche.

So far the first two post say it's not normal.

One other saying it's fine.

But so far no one has had the same problem.

Would be nice to gather some data from other owners.
Hard to say without photos. Please post them if you can get a good one of the area.

No one wants to have a dirty engine, but seal weepage is a fact of internal combustion engines. It could be there was too much oil in the seal groove on assembly, maybe a bit of porosity in the area, or a tech dribbled some oil when he filled the engine.

If its the size of your hand or less.......I wouldn't worry about it. If its half the block covered in oil..... then you have a bad seal or casting and needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It's fine for an engine to consume a small amount of oil. My last car, a BMW, usually went through a quarter between changes (7500 mi). Seepage is different, and you don't necessarily need to take apart the engine to fix it. If it is something like a valve cover or oil pan, the gasket should be replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some pictures. The first picture shows the seepage starting from the top of the driver side valve cover. Where the A/C belt starts on the top and the area of where the electrical harness wire is located at the valve cover. The trail of seepage drips down to the A/C compressor on the other side of the A/C belt. It has yet to hit the oil pan or the under tray cover.

It's a small amount of seepage.

You might need to zoom in to see my attached pics.

You will not be able to see this from the top, underneath the hood.

2nd picture and 3rd picture is a closer picture of the area where the seepage ends up without additional dripping going further down.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another vote for keep an eye on it and enjoy your car.
I'll bet that it doesn't get worse and likely stops.
Stuff like that tends to resolve itself as the oil hits the air it thickens/hardens and fills the tiny imperfection in the mating surfaces.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Here are some pictures. .....It's a small amount of seepage.
Hard to tell for sure from the pictures. But it seems odd to me that an engine oil drip from above would follow the A/C compressor flange so thin and neatly. To my eye, this actually looks like typical A/C refrigerant seepage at the flange. The circulating refrigerant is mixed with a small amount of oil to lubricate the compressor internals. Regardless of the source, it doesn't look like it would be worthwhile tearing into things yet. Just my two cents.

Reactions: RJMcInnis

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are some pictures. .....It's a small amount of seepage.
Hard to tell for sure from the pictures. But it seems odd to me that an engine oil drip from above would follow the A/C compressor flange so thin and neatly. To my eye, this actually looks like typical A/C refrigerant seepage at the flange. The circulating refrigerant is mixed with a small amount of oil to lubricate the compressor internals. Regardless of the source, it doesn't look like it would be worthwhile tearing into things yet. Just my two cents.
If you look further up you can see the oil seepage starts from the valve cover. Here is a zoomed pic of the area of where it starts.

My plan is to leave it too for now. And before the warranty ends and also after the next oil change to look at it again.

So looks like I'm the only one with this problem so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would clean it so you can quantify the amount over time and whether the leak is becoming worse. When it is clean take pictures and email them to your own gmail or other commercial account. Continue to take pictures and email them to yourself at regular intervals giving you a sort of time lapse photo documentation of the leak. These will be invaluable later if things go to ****. It isn't that you want to go to court, I'm no attorney but I suspect based on an MM action I pursued you will wish you had never started no matter what the outcome. What you're looking for is to protect yourself if the leak becomes catastrophic causing an expensive failure and also in the nearer term to have something undeniable to show the service department about the leak and what it is doing. Is it getting no worse, getting worse, etc. I've come to notice over time. If nothing else you will be able to rest easier knowing exactly what you're looking at. I agree with others though, I would have to think hard before I decided I wanted my engine torn into depending on the leak. A valve cover is one thing but major surgery would have me thinking I might prefer to hold off until the leak became a problem.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks like a valve cover leak to me. I wonder why the dealer won't take corrective action. I bet if oil was dripping on the exhaust manifold they would take care of that right away!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would clean it so you can quantify the amount over time and whether the leak is becoming worse. When it is clean take pictures and email them to your own gmail or other commercial account. Continue to take pictures and email them to yourself at regular intervals giving you a sort of time lapse photo documentation of the leak. These will be invaluable later if things go to ****. It isn't that you want to go to court, I'm no attorney but I suspect based on an MM action I pursued you will wish you had never started no matter what the outcome. What you're looking for is to protect yourself if the leak becomes catastrophic causing an expensive failure and also in the nearer term to have something undeniable to show the service department about the leak and what it is doing. Is it getting no worse, getting worse, etc. I've come to notice over time. If nothing else you will be able to rest easier knowing exactly what you're looking at. I agree with others though, I would have to think hard before I decided I wanted my engine torn into depending on the leak. A valve cover is one thing but major surgery would have me thinking I might prefer to hold off until the leak became a problem.
I will be taking pictures periodically to see if there are any additional significant leakage. It's also noted in porsche system with pictures of their own. So it's kept track with them and with my own set of pictures.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts