Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sorry to see this, hope everyone is okay - I'm no mechanic but I would say no. You never know how badly things are impacted beneath the surface. When I was rear-ended they had to replace my entire exhaust system due to damage beyond just the cosmetic hit on my rear bumper

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. We are ok. We were hit in Pennsylvania and we live in Florida. Here on a little vacation visiting relatives because we didn’t want to fly with Covid around. It will be another stresser to get it repaired here (months) and then have to fly back and drive it back.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am glad everyone is OK.
There is no way that I would repair it if it was my Macan, would want it totaled.
I am no expert, but when I had a simple repair done in California years ago that involved small dent on a wheel-well crease: over $3k and the damage was the size of a golfball.
I have to imagine (or should I say a wild guess) that damage to the front drivetrain alone could be $10-$20k (unless the way the wheel looks in the photo, is not indicative to further damage), not to mention 5 body panels that need repair along with a new wheel/tire and possible full re-paint.
Good luck, and sorry to hear that this has happened to you.
Remember to take my comments with a grain of salt, since repair prices are probably higher in California, and I am really just guessing....My concern is internal damage to the front drivetrain, suspension, engine???

·
Registered
555 Posts
i would say possbile frame damage and total due to this but if they can get it aligned ok after broken parts are done. if repaired i would have the alignment checked by another company to see if it is right.

·
Registered
335 Posts
No insurance adjuster here but having had cars repaired that damage will go deep beneath the surface and I wouldn't doubt if it were $20-25 thousand to fix and a month in the shop. Sucks the victim always pays and has to deal with the inconvenience.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Start looking for a new one. Even if fixed it will never be the same. Glad to hear everyone is Ok. The same thing happened to me in the past (car running red light). It sucks!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Say it gets repaired at certified shop and is driveable. Do I have a chance getting a dealer to trade it on another? Would I get burned on this deal? Any ideas? In the past I’ve just kept a car after accident unless totaled. If it is not worth keeping after getting repaired what are the options?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You need to check what's under the hood/wheel. I once had my wheel look more or less the same and the damage was one part for $30. So it could be not as bad as it seems.

·
Registered
11,988 Posts
Thanks. We are ok. We were hit in Pennsylvania and we live in Florida. Here on a little vacation visiting relatives because we didn’t want to fly with Covid around. It will be another stresser to get it repaired here (months) and then have to fly back and drive it back.
My wife's son had a Honda hit the same way . It was fixed and never the same . You are at the point right now where you can make this all go away . I dont know where you are in Pennsylvania but there are good dealerships that I have read about . Call your insurance company , put it on tow truck and start talking to a dealership about trading it in immediately in crashed condition . I have done it twice in my life . Once was with the Macan Turbo . In the end I lost about 3K from what I would have gotten had I just traded in a perfect car . The positive was it was over immediately and my avatar photo was me standing next to the car that I drove off in leaving the crashed on behind .

What will happen is this . The dealership will sell you the car and hold your car for a few days for an adjuster to look at it . They will cut a check to the dealership (since you have signed one the title) and in my case the dealership reimbursed me with that check . We negotiated the insurance claim into the deal and my car went right to auction . They had no desire to fix it or sell it .

It will be the most liberating feeling you ever had to drive a new car home . It ought not bust you financially either but its not free to do this but that is what rainy day fund is about . We all get rainy days . This is yours . Make it a sunny day with one day of phone calls and dealership talk.

The alternative is to keep the car and be tortured with this for months . Its not worth it. Evern worse you fly home in dealt variant Florida airplane and nothing will matter anymore if sick . Hedge it here !!!

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I hope the other driver had good insurance. Look into diminished value claim.

I agree with others who said to try to ditch this Macan get a new (or maybe CPO) car. Too many possible issues down the road.

Start by checking the value of your crashed car... the day b4 the crash ...on several websites. Trade in, Sale to private party, sale to dealer, etc.

Good luck!

Reactions: ChopperBob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the advice. This forum is great. Waiting on adjuster so I have a general idea what I’m up against. I like the option to send the wrecked car. We are in the middle of nowhere (Blair county) and nearest dealers are far. I’m going to push for “total loss” given my situation up here which will make replacement easier.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Have them flatbed it back to you. At no cost to you.

·
Registered
306 Posts
When you hit a rectangle on one corner hard, you end up with a parallelogram. While good for Geometry students to try to figure out, it's bad for automobile repairs.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I had a relatively new Honda that got hit just like that about 30 years ago. It wasn't written off as it was pretty new and no airbags deployed so the dollar amount wasn't enough to total it but it wasn't the same after. Push the adjuster and body shop to be very thorough with accounting for all the damage so it can be totaled.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Car is on route to Porsche certified auto body center near Pittsburgh PA. They are one of the best Porsche body shops in northeast. I hope to get a fair shake from them - good or bad. I’ll know more in a few days.

·
Registered
11,988 Posts
Car is on route to Porsche certified auto body center near Pittsburgh PA. They are one of the best Porsche body shops in northeast. I hope to get a fair shake from them - good or bad. I’ll know more in a few days.
One out of the two times I dumped the crashed car I just took it but the first time I got two estimates . I took the lower of the two written up to two BMW dealerships with the car on a flatbed . It was undrivabale the higher trade value was 5K more at one of the two. Drove off in a new car !!!

I am telling you .. Its the best feeling of freedom . Not only is the crashed car a fading memory but on top of that you are in a new car !!! Its a double scoop of joy. Not only did it go away.. it even improved !! This is what money is for . Do it !!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts