Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are you sure this is actually a Porsche dealer? If it really is, one would think he risked losing his job posting a video like this.

Irrespective of that, he’s pointing out design or assembly issues, not issues that were created by Porsche try to save money.

No question the aluminum bolts are a real issue, although thankfully the vast majority of Macan owners have not experienced the problem.

Interestingly with all the owners we have on this forum, I have not heard even one having suffered the fuel pump problem he references. But it certainly sounds like another design issue, although the problem would appear to be very isolated.

Rather amazing if he regularly works on Macans was he does not mention the transfer case issue given that it seems to be the most widespread serious issue with the cars, and even then the vast majority of owners don’t experience the problem.

Bottom line is the Macan is not perfect. What model made by any manufactuser is? And when you look at frequency of repair surveys done by folks like consumer reports and JD power, the Macan scores reasonably well. Certainly not the highest score In that regard as you would typically not expect that from a German car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Macan is a big step up over BMW on quality, and largely on par with the Lexus or better.
I owned 4 Lexuses: 2008 GS350, 2008 RX350, 2015 NX200t, and 2017 NX200t. The first two were bought new, kept for 10-11 years sold with 130K and 95K miles. I still own the two NXs, bought them both CPOs. Macan drives a lot better than any Lexus, but the quality wise - not even close.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That shop on the video is not a Porsche dealership, at least not an official one.
He can say anything he wants, he's not wearing a Porsche uniform and clearly not inside an official Porsche dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
I owned 4 Lexuses: 2008 GS350, 2008 RX350, 2015 NX200t, and 2017 NX200t. The first two were bought new, kept for 10-11 years sold with 130K and 95K miles. I still own the two NXs, bought them both CPOs. Macan drives a lot better than any Lexus, but the quality wise - not even close.

Quality is different from reliability.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Historically of course Toyotas and Lexuses have high reliability scores in large scale surveys. But they are not perfect either.

Our RX had to have the engine replaced at only 4000 miles due to a lubrication problem, but there were no further issues. And then the transmission in our ES needed to be rebuilt only five months after the warranty expired. Lexus would not do a thing to help us, and their attitude was more like “we gotcha” versus wanting to help us, and “you must’ve done something wrong because this never happens to our cars”. The car was still drivable, and we took it to an independent transmission shop who did the rebuild for 40% less than the dealer’s quote. Even worse, the dealer charged us a one hour diagnostic charge when we told them we were not going ahead with the repair. They lost a long time repeat customer.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Are you sure this is actually a Porsche dealer? If it really is, one would think he risked losing his job posting a video like this.
That shop on the video is not a Porsche dealership, at least not an official one.
He can say anything he wants, he's not wearing a Porsche uniform and clearly not inside an official Porsche dealer.
Right, what @Her95B said.

That video is listed as being put up by "Top Automotive inc," and if you click on that name underneath the video, it takes you to www.youtube.com/channel/UClSbLhJLQ3C4rlaphDRWg7w. And on that page it says:

Top Automotive inc
Repair shop Specializing in Luxury and Exotics
Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston

So, no, not a Porsche dealership.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Irrespective of that, he’s pointing out design or assembly issues, not issues that were created by Porsche try to save money.

No question the aluminum bolts are a real issue, although thankfully the vast majority of Macan owners have not experienced the problem.

Interestingly with all the owners we have on this forum, I have not heard even one having suffered the fuel pump problem he references. But it certainly sounds like another design issue, although the problem would appear to be very isolated.

Rather amazing if he regularly works on Macans was he does not mention the transfer case issue given that it seems to be the most widespread serious issue with the cars, and even then the vast majority of owners don’t experience the problem.

Bottom line is the Macan is not perfect.
I believe he does work for a Porsche dealership.

As far as reliability is concerned I owned an Infiniti FX 35 for 12 years and the only problem I had was A faulty sensor at 125 thousand miles. The Macan, bought wit 25 thousand miles about 2 or 3 months ago, has been back to the dealer four or five times. I just picked it up a couple of days ago after the transfer case was replaced. The Macan drives so much better that the FX, however the FX was as reliably as the sun rising in the morning ( smile)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I believe he does work for a Porsche dealership.

So you think he works at Loeber? What makes you think that?

Also, I don’t really understand his complaint. What do the problems he’s discussing have to do with “cheaping out”? Are aluminum bolts cheaper than steel? Isn’t it the other way around?

·
Registered
13 Posts
So you think he works at Loeber? What makes you think that?

Also, I don’t really understand his complaint. What do the problems he’s discussing have to do with “cheaping out”? Are aluminum bolts cheaper than steel? Isn’t it the other way around?
I am pretty sure he works at Loeber. I am not defending or recommending his comments. My goal was to get responses from actual Macan owners. BTW his video’s are featured prominently in the DYI portion of this list and are quite informative.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am pretty sure he works at Loeber. I am not defending or recommending his comments. My goal was to get responses from actual Macan owners. BTW his video’s are featured prominently in the DYI portion of this list and are quite informative.
Sorry, but clearly this is not Loeber’s shop.

Easy to understand why he would be so frustrated with the amount of work required to rectify a very simple problem, but asking the question whether or not Porsche “cheaped out” shows he really doesn’t understand the root cause of the problem. If you know any automotive technicians, they love to complain the manufacturers could’ve made the vehicles easier to repair.

While he might make some very informative videos, the fact he didn’t even mention the transfer case issue is an indication his experience working on a large number of Macans is limited.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Sorry, but clearly this is not Loeber’s shop.

Easy to understand why he would be so frustrated with the amount of work required to rectify a very simple problem, but asking the question whether or not Porsche “cheaped out” shows he really doesn’t understand the root cause of the problem. If you know any automotive technicians, they love to complain the manufacturers could’ve made the vehicles easier to repair.

While he might make some very informative videos, the fact he didn’t even mention the transfer case issue is an indication his experience working on a large number of Macans is limited.
He -- "P-Tech" -- states this, for instance, at www.youtube.com/watch?v=smfVaKQMlZk :

My name is Ryan. I’ve been a professional automotive technician for over 10 years. Through high school I worked at an independent service shop every day after class, during the summer, and then part time while I attended Universal Technical Institute. While at UTI I applied for and was accepted into the Porsche technology apprentice program (PTAP) in Atlanta Georgia for 6 months of factory training. Once I returned to Chicago, I started my Porsche career at Loeber Motors Porsche in Lincolnwood, Illinois. I’ve been at my dealership for 7 years now.

As the wording may be ambiguous, it's not clear that Ryan/P-Tech is currently employed by Loeber. For instance, "my dealership" could refer to Top Automotive Inc (see my post, #27, above, which mentions this), or he could still be Loeber but work on ad hoc basis at Top Automotive ... or vice-versa.

Or he could be completely fabricating his line of work, his employer, everything. On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog, as the expression goes.

OTOH, I see no reason to doubt him, i.e., that at least at some time, for some of the time, he worked at Loeber. In his "Major Service" video -- www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQxK5U6gjK8&t=646s -- at 18:29 in the video he seems to be driving around a genuine Porsche dealership, as there's a sign with the P logo and "Service" on it hanging off the building.

Last, if you go to Loeber Motors Porsche Staff | Meet Our Porsche Team, Loeber's web site, you can see a "Ryan Case," who looks a lot like Ryan/P-Tech, listed as a "Porsche Certified Technician" among their staff.

·
Premium Member
2020 Macan GTS
25 Posts
As 2016 IS 350 and 2015 RX 350 owner I disagree. The fit-and-finish I would say is equal in both brands but clearly Porsche is much better in terms of quality of materials used in the built. The car feels more 'solid', more pleasant to touch, more expensive. Lexus is clearly superb in reliability, I have been a Macan owner for only 3 days so I have no opinion yet but my brand new Macan GTS was delivered with one fog light inop (found out hours ago)

Reactions: jzwu
21 - 33 of 33 Posts