Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given all of the discussions surrounding early build problems, is there a way to find out whether Porsche has been improving their build qualities? This is especially helpful to know for those of us still waiting to receive our Macans and wondering whether to order new vehicles altogether to avoid early build problems.

·
Registered
203 Posts
build quality? such as…………..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Most likely referring to quality issues. There have been a few threads regarding different quality issues and the OP is wondering how soon these get resolved in production.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Given all of the discussions surrounding early build problems, is there a way to find out whether Porsche has been improving their build qualities? This is especially helpful to know for those of us still waiting to receive our Macans and wondering whether to order new vehicles altogether to avoid early build problems.
I have no concrete info, but I would be very surprised if the semi-trivial problems don't get fixed as the current model year goes on. They certainly have a production process that allows this. I would also guess that the turn-around time is ~months, not weeks, from figuring out that there is a systematic problem, to designing a fix they are *sure* works to putting it into production. It would be quite disappointing if after the summer break they still make cars with the passenger door problem, leaking rear wipers or the phantom wipes on start-up. Some things, like the side-bolster wear on the 18-ways might be more difficult to fix.

For myself, I decided that the chance to do a European delivery this summer, with 3 weeks of driving across Europe, was worth dealing with these problems. If not, I would probably have waited for a somewhat later production - I don't care too much about being the first on my block with a Macan.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I'm glad that I'm waiting for the diesel to come to the States in 2015. By then the first run issues should have been addressed by the engineers and quality control folks.
My better half wants me to get the S now, but with the amount of highway miles I do per year the diesel just makes better sense for me.

Thanks to all who have the S diesel currently and have reviewed it in this great Forum for those of us anxiously awaiting its arrival to our shores.

·
Registered
709 Posts
This

vvvvvvvvv

I have no concrete info, but I would be very surprised if the semi-trivial problems don't get fixed as the current model year goes on. They certainly have a production process that allows this. I would also guess that the turn-around time is ~months, not weeks, from figuring out that there is a systematic problem, to designing a fix they are *sure* works to putting it into production. It would be quite disappointing if after the summer break they still make cars with the passenger door problem, leaking rear wipers or the phantom wipes on start-up. Some things, like the side-bolster wear on the 18-ways might be more difficult to fix.

For myself, I decided that the chance to do a European delivery this summer, with 3 weeks of driving across Europe, was worth dealing with these problems. If not, I would probably have waited for a somewhat later production - I don't care too much about being the first on my block with a Macan.

·
Registered
709 Posts
What he said:

·
Registered
8,887 Posts

300 miles and not one hiccup on mine (yet).

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Took delivery on Friday so I don't know for sure, so far I only had one dribble on the rear window (first day) but that went away after I used the washers few times.

I am checking the passenger door every night, it is awful close but still enough clearance for now. Actually, the hood has plenty of clearance, the fender has less clearance.

I only locked the car couple of times for short periods so can't really tell if I have the alarm problem.

Oh, the right side mirror was programmed properly when I drove it last Wednesday as soon as it came out of PDI (unwashed still at that time).

My only "problem" is that I have to go back to fix the clear bra on the mirrors, but that is not Porsche's issue...

Actually, the real problem is that I have to work for a living and can't drive it during the week other that few minutes at night. ;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sometimes people are dazzled by horsepower. But all the horsepower in the world is worthless, even dangerous, without quality in the build. Car manufacturers that focus only on horsepower are like a 10 year old kid firing a 30-06 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) on full auto (no way he can handle the power). It's a recipe for disaster.

Porsche consistently rates right behind or even on top of Lexus for quality. Yes the power is there in Porsche vehicles .... but more importantly so is the quality to effectively and safely handle it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sounds like horrible product quality, several incompetent service technicians, an ethically challenged service manager, a confused FCA buyback process, legal stalling, egos, and endless headaches. Even after all that, this poor guy plans to buy yet another FCA car. Now that’s loyalty!

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Yeah, it’s a key point about quality. I would say also sound car handling and safety features.

Still remember in the old days some muscle cars were called widow maker due to their huge power output but poor handling and safety features. Those cars often became their owners’ tomb.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Didn't watch the video. I am hunkered down riding out hurricane Florence and did not want to waste the bandwidth. Took one look at the dude and thought, "Yep, that is exactly what I picture when I wonder who buys Hellcats.">:D

My brother had one briefly when he was what I refer to as his "idiot phase". Dumbest car I have driven in a long, long time. His came on 275 section width all-season tires. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

·
Registered
449 Posts
Didn't watch the video. I am hunkered down riding out hurricane Florence and did not want to waste the bandwidth. Took one look at the dude and thought, "Yep, that is exactly what I picture when I wonder who buys Hellcats.">:D

My brother had one briefly when he was what I refer to as his "idiot phase". Dumbest car I have driven in a long, long time. His came on 275 section width all-season tires. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
And he's going to buy another one .... even after the nightmare with this one.
:eek:

·
Registered
979 Posts
While it’s well documented that’s FCA has quality issues throughout their model lines, I’m not sure it has much to do with horsepower.

I have two friends who own Hellcats, and one of them was also the first customer to take delivery on a Trackhawk in our area.

None of the three cars have been exactly trouble free, but the problems have not been engine or powertrain related at all.

I’ve driven all three several times and I do have to say that the power levels are totally intoxicating, difficult to imagine them not putting a smile on any “car person’s” face. The immediacy of the of the power is amazing...no turbo lag there! the Trackhawk is actually the fastest 0-60 as the Hellcats have traction issues.

And not sure Hellcat owners can be stereotyped at all. One of them also has a Cayman S is his garage and the other has a 996 Turbo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just viewed a video on YouTube where a technician gives his views on the Porsche Macan. He is well known for his YouTube videos from the Porsche dealership were he works.

This tech is hard on the Macan and normally one might be tempted to dismiss his views, however I have watched many of his videos and he is IMHO, knowledgeable and passionate about his work.

The points he make about the Macan are:

• Too many oil leaks that is expensive to repair. The cause, Aluminum bolts that have a tendency to break. He admits that the Cayenne also have these aluminum bolts, however he says that the Macan has more of these bolts than the Cayenne. (He does not mention that these bolts might have been over torque at the factory, but his point is valid. Steel bolts would have solved this problem)
  • Mechanical Fuel pumps (two pumps, one on each side of the engine) that fail internally and dilute the engine oil resulting in failed rod bearings. He notes that Audi had the same problem.
  • He recommends that these pumps should be replaced every 40 to 50 thousand miles.
Finally I believe he notes that Coils should be replaced every 60K

Interestingly, he makes no mention of the defective transfer cases that seem to plague both the Cayenne and Macan models.

As a relative new owner of a 2017 Macan S with 27K miles, I am interested in feedback from the forum.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
Steel bolts are probably not comparable with the aluminum alloy engine due to different metal materials. Using aluminum bolts is not a problem by itself. The issue is over-torquing.

I have not heard about Macan’s fuel pump problem. Transfer case problem is not new. It plagued the Cayenne before. Macan does use a lot of Audi parts/components but that doesn’t necessarily mean it‘s cheaply made, just not as special as the 911.

Among the cars I have owned, including many Japanese brands and Germans, Macan is a big step up over BMW on quality, and largely on par with the Lexus or better. On driving dynamics, Macan beats them all handily.

Reactions: mplgaus
1 - 20 of 33 Posts