Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not talking about agate/pebble combo, just agate.

Ten out of eight or nine dealer stock come with black interior, and always wonder why? same goes with other makes as black is usually the standard interior color. Tan (beige) probably the next most common.

Also, agate grey doesn’t look like grey at all, it’s more like the lighter shade of espresso, like mocha brown.

Maybe they should rename it agate brown lol

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
58 Posts
Here I would say Agate Grey is on maybe 20% of dealer ordered Macans that are used for a few months as service loaners. Another one I see quite often is red and black interior on grey exterior. They can usually sell that combo pretty easily. But black on silver/ grey/ white/ black is by far the "safest" choice for a dealer to make on a car going into their inventory.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Here I would say Agate Grey is on maybe 20% of dealer ordered Macans that are used for a few months as service loaners. Another one I see quite often is red and black interior on grey exterior. They can usually sell that combo pretty easily. But black on silver/ grey/ white/ black is by far the "safest" choice for a dealer to make on a car going into their inventory.
I would say things are similar here too.

·
Premium Member
6,068 Posts
When Macan was first released in 2014-2015, pretty much all were custom ordered. I felt quite a few Macan‘s were ordered with the agate interior then. I ordered agate interior sight unseen since black interior is too dark and boring. It turned out to be more brownish than grey, which looks nicer IMO.

I guess later more stock cars were available from dealers with the black interior.

Reactions: notmac1

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
58 Posts
Agate interior was one of the main reasons I bought mine off a dealer's lot. I was done with boring black in many of my previous cars.

And yes I love how it's brown in some light and grey at other times. It's a muted color but with a lot of life.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Should call it Agate Taupe!

I think the black interior works well if you have a more vibrant exterior color (sapphire/miami blue, mamba green), but the agate grey is perfect for black/white cars.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not talking about agate/pebble combo, just agate.

Ten out of eight or nine dealer stock come with black interior, and always wonder why? same goes with other makes as black is usually the standard interior color. Tan (beige) probably the next most common.

Also, agate grey doesn’t look like grey at all, it’s more like the lighter shade of espresso, like mocha brown.

Maybe they should rename it agate brown lol
No

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have Agate on Rhodium. I really like Agate but some would say that it pairs better with other exterior colors (other than Rhodium).

Agate is a very ‘warm’ gray and Rhodium is a very ‘cool’ silver. I am definitely happy with mine (I chose it more due to the options that it had than for color) but may might prefer Rhodium with black.

For my next Macan, I really want Garnet/Black—-with Chalk. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
It is uncommon. We wanted to see one in person before we ordered the car, and had a hard time finding any Macan with that interior. Despite living in a large metro with several large Porsche dealers nearby, only one was in the entire area. Similar to my experience with getting a gray interior on my Corvette (previously); where I had to drive some distance to see in person. I believe that with black interior so prevalent, gray is rare in all manufacturers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I ordered agate interior sight unseen since black interior is too dark and boring.
Not at all surprising there are so few agate interior cars. I have noticed the few there are tend to sit unsold on dealer lots. The dealers generally know what they are doing when specifying lot cars. The guy at our dealer who orders the lot cars told us he will never purposely specify a lot car with a gray interior, and the one that they have was a canceled customer special order.

I would never have a car with a gray interior. Just too blah, and black looks so much richer and works well with the dark colored headliners. Both our Macans have the black interior, and what looks especially rich is the black full leather interior.

·
Premium Member
6,068 Posts
Well, the agate interior is not a typical grey color, but more like a light brown color. It looks far better than black or grey.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well, the agate interior is not a typical grey color, but more like a light brown color. It looks far better than black or grey.
Agreed Agate is not a typical grey.

I also noticed the few of them for sale tend to sit unsold on dealer lots. And three different Porsche dealers told us the color tends to hurt resale value just like the Mahogony exterior color Porsche formerly offered on the Macan does.

But if you like it, that’s all that matters, and perhaps you could save some money!

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
58 Posts
Agreed Agate is not a typical grey.

I also noticed the few of them for sale tend to sit unsold on dealer lots. And three different Porsche dealers told us the color tends to hurt resale value just like the Mahogony exterior color Porsche formerly offered on the Macan does.

But if you like it, that’s all that matters, and perhaps you could save some money!
Any unusual Porsche colors have historically had low initial popularity, but years later on the used market command a huge premium.

The majority of consumers go for the safe colors which lately are black, white, silver and grey with black interior. The enthusiast buyers, new or used, tend to go for the more adventurous color choices, which on the Macan would currently include Mamba Green, Miami Blue and either of the reds, or with non-black interior. Since "consumers" are more numerous than "enthusiasts", that's who the dealers order for.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Our ‘17 GTS in white has the Agate Grey interior. Once we saw the combination there really was no other that came close in our opinion. The Agate Grey would be better called Mink, as to me it is a rich dark brown.

Lease is up on our ‘17 in late October, so got a good price on a new ‘20 (with the price increase on the ‘21’s. Deposit down and options locked. Build was scheduled for this coming week I think. Then the call from the dealer came and Agate is temporarily not available. Nor is expresso. No problem with the dealership in canceling my order; the have been very good about it. Now hopeful the an early ‘21 will be available with Agate.

Apparently the problem with the browns is only a problem on Macans and not other models. Apparently a supplier COVID related problem. Dealer is doing their best to find out more, and when Porsche think these colours might again be available.

Has anyone anyone else come up against this? Issue is very recent; only heard about it last Monday.

Thanks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Any unusual Porsche colors have historically had low initial popularity, but years later on the used market command a huge premium.
So your point is 10 years from now a Macan with an Agate interior is going to the huge premium because it’s usual? Do you seriously believe that?

I assume what you are referring to is there are certain colors on the sports cars that command a premium. Many of them had huge upcharges for the color when they were new.

But the same thing does not carry over with the Cayenne, for example, and there’s a little reason to believe it would not be the same with the Macan. And especially not for an interior color.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
The majority of consumers go for the safe colors which lately are black, white, silver and grey with black interior. The enthusiast buyers, new or used, tend to go for the more adventurous color choices, which on the Macan would currently include Mamba Green, Miami Blue and either of the reds, or with non-black interior. Since "consumers" are more numerous than "enthusiasts", that's who the dealers order for.
So I have Sapphire Blue with the Sport Design package in black. Am a consumer or an enthusiast? :)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts

The hot rumor I heard today is Mary Kay is negotiating a hot pink run of Macans that will come with pink upholstery. Honest!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
The hot rumor I heard today is Mary Kay is negotiating a hot pink run of Macans that will come with pink upholstery. Honest!
Will that command a premium on resale?:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts