Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chances are the Macan Turbo and Panamera turbo share the same twin turbo V6 engine, even if they don't this is a good look at if Porsche has really mastered replacing a V8 with a twin turbo V6 engine.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
The V6 in the Panamera is the same as the V6 in the Macan S, that being the 3.0L twin-turbo. The Macan turbo will have the 3.6L twin turbo V6, so the comparison here should be between the S variants of the Panamera and the Macan.

This video has been discussed at length on another forum I visit. I think the attitude of the reviewer here is a bit skewed since he is comparing his recollection of the excitement of the Panamera GTS with the Panamera 4S he is reviewing. For someone who favors a pure driving experience, there's no doubt that a RWD normally aspirated V8 car will be more exciting to drive than a TT V6 AWD car. But the numbers don't lie: the V6 results in a car that is faster, handles better due to less weight, and returns better fuel economy.

He also makes himself appear a bit foolish by stating that it's difficult to make a V6 car exciting. Not just the Porsche V6 - any V6. The R35 GT-R has a V6, as does the Acura NSX, the Buick GNX, the Jag XJ-220, Audi S4 and S5, Lotus Elise and Exige and Evora, etc, etc. If you open the argument about cylinder count to other configurations besides the V, then you bring in the Porsche 911 of all variations, Cayman, Boxster, the E36 & E46 M3. That's about 20 cars which are all considered good drivers cars, and some super cars (911 GT1, 959, GT-R, XJ220), which have a 6 cylinder instead of a V8.

I get that he might be disappointed in a 6 after driving a GTS with the 8, but the idea that a V6 can't be exciting is preposterous.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I want to see the boxer six in something other than the 911. The reason V6s suffer in reputation is because they are inherently imbalanced and require more counterbalance to keep them from niggling too severely. This adds rotational mass to the crank which dulls performance...

but i do agree that a broad general statement like that is not only preposterous but uninformed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.