Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just wondering if a topside oil change with a Mityvac is even possible in the macan. I don’t recall seeing a dipstick in the engine bay but wanted to see if My eyes just missed it.

I know there are strong opinions on this topic. I was a big believer in the take your plug out to get out every drop of oil method. My trusted mechanic friend uses this method on his own personal classic BMW and Pcars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
6,842 Posts
There was someone here a while back who I recall used a suction device to remove the oil topside and it worked fine. You can open where a dipstick would go, I believe, as one or two folks have recently ordered an Audi dipstick and installed it.

But shows how much I know, or really don’t. I thought you’d suction the oil from where you fill it, not from where a dipstick would go.

· Registered
1,104 Posts
I’m one of those that firmly thinks the pull the plug method is the right way to go. Due to an inaccessible oil drain plug in the bilge of my boat, for years I used an electric suction pump on the*inboard/outboard engine in my boat, and when the engine had to be pulled and I saw the crap in the bottom of the oil pan I instanted realized what the shortcoming of the suction method is. The good that’s left n the bottom of the oil pan can’t be sucked through the hose.

I know some car dealers use the suction method, but of course all that does it enable them to do more oil changes per hour and make more profit. Ever notice that they somehow don’t charge you less when they use the suction method?

And they have a vested interest in your engine failing post warranty given that there’s some chance they will get the repair job at the full retail labor rate (versus the significantly reduced labor rates that manufacturers, including Porsche, pay a deal for warranty work.

I think it’s quite the scam.

· Registered
64 Posts
It's a dry sump system, both the engine oil pan and the oil tank need to be drained. You might be able to pump the oil out the oil pan from the top (dipstick tube), but I'm pretty sure the only way to drain the oil tank is to pull the plug.

· Registered
116 Posts
Do you have the 2.0 liter Audi engine? We use oil evacuators at an Audi dealer and all the oil gets removed on those engines. On the Audi 2.0 engine, remove the top cover and there should be an orange plug in the front of the engine to put the evacuator hose down. The container has graduations on it to let you know what has been removed. I have used the Mity Vac on my wife's Mercedes C300 V-6, and all the oil gets removed. You can remove the splash pan and get at the drain plug, but just make sure to torque the drain plug to spec.

· Registered
338 Posts
Do you have the 2.0 liter Audi engine? We use oil evacuators at an Audi dealer and all the oil gets removed on those engines. On the Audi 2.0 engine, remove the top cover and there should be an orange plug in the front of the engine to put the evacuator hose down. The container has graduations on it to let you know what has been removed. I have used the Mity Vac on my wife's Mercedes C300 V-6, and all the oil gets removed. You can remove the splash pan and get at the drain plug, but just make sure to torque the drain plug to spec.
It is a BLACK top cover where the oilstick "used to be". It is easy to change oil with any sort of pump- I did it some weeks ago with great success. Why Porsche has not made a "door" in the felt-material cover is beyond comprehension. The Plastic clips and nut are designed for a maximum in out 10 times. Why bother with those fragile parts.

· Registered
254 Posts
It is a BLACK top cover where the oilstick "used to be". It is easy to change oil with any sort of pump- I did it some weeks ago with great success. Why Porsche has not made a "door" in the felt-material cover is beyond comprehension. The Plastic clips and nut are designed for a maximum in out 10 times. Why bother with those fragile parts.
I presume you are describing the Base model. It is to my knowledge that the 6 cylinders are not doable that you have to drain it the usual way.

· Registered
987 Posts
The cartridge filter is super easy to get to as well as the drain plug.

Why Fight gravity and try to pull oil up out when it can drain it completely ??

Oil is $40-$55 total depending on where and when you buy it, filters are $14.

The process is not as easy without a lift, but can be done on jackstands

Reactions: gradyex and Shark

· Registered
116 Posts
Yes, it is colored black. Some Audis had orange plugs.

Attachments

· Registered
2,638 Posts
Is the drain at the lowest point of the oil pan? It is not in a LOT of vehicles. And it's not exactly a big deal to "fight" gravity. The suction is only really necessary to start a siphon, anyway.

Takes less time to drain the oil in my BMW than it would to drive it on to ramps. WAY less time than it would to put it on jack stands!

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Macan S. Not sure the Mityvac can be used on the S engine or where id stick the tube in. If i can do suction method ill prob do 5k oil changes. I know purists say pull the plug but with modern engines running as clean as they do, modern oil and filters im not super worried about getting every last speck of contamination out. Plus you can remove pretty warm/hot oil with suction method removing a ton of the suspended particles.

· Premium Member
7,168 Posts
I never understood about the obsession of making oil changes as clean/complete as possible.

Even on the factory schedule, the old oil is plenty good to use at 10k miles. It doesn't make any difference at all with 100% clean vs. 80% clean oil. I have been using the suction method to change oil on my BMW for years at the 10k miles interval and never had any issues.

Modern car engines and oils are very robust and forgiving. I bet most modern cars will crap out in other areas than the engine.

· Registered
1,193 Posts
To clarify, topside oil changes are not feasible or practical on the Macan V6s. The V6s are dry sump, have no dipstick tube, and filter cartridge is on the bottom anyways. For he base 2.0T, topside is completely feasible. It's pretty much the same 2.0T that Audi/VW has been using for the last 8 years. Dipstick tube is right by the cam cover. Oil filter sits right on top.

Reactions: Jaylmw08 and PPP

· Registered
5,189 Posts
I never understood about the obsession of making oil changes as clean/complete as possible.

Even on the factory schedule, the old oil is plenty good to use at 10k miles. It doesn't make any difference at all with 100% clean vs. 80% clean oil. I have been using the suction method to change oil on my BMW for years at the 10k miles interval and never had any issues.

Modern car engines and oils are very robust and forgiving. I bet most modern cars will crap out in other areas than the engine.
Easy...because it’s an obsession :D

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To clarify, topside oil changes are not feasible or practical on the Macan V6s. The V6s are dry sump, have no dipstick tube, and filter cartridge is on the bottom anyways. For he base 2.0T, topside is completely feasible. It's pretty much the same 2.0T that Audi/VW has been using for the last 8 years. Dipstick tube is right by the cam cover. Oil filter sits right on top.

****. Forgot the filter is under the car behind the pan. There goes that idea.

· Registered
8 Posts
I used suction method on my 4cyl Macan a few times. Unfortunately the best I can pull out is 70-80% of oil so I just do it more frequently (about every 6 mos). Perhaps there is some trick to it to get it all out that I do not know.

· Registered
50 Posts
I've tried to insert an oil extractor tube through the filler cap on my S. The timing chain, camshaft, and convoluted geometry makes me think it is not possible to do it this way. Has anyone managed to extract the engine oil with an extractor?

(I see a number of threads showing it is possible in the 4 cyl., but can't find anything about the V6's.)

Edit: I found an older thread on this (which did not contain the word 'extractor', hence not seeing it earlier.) It seems it is not possible to do in the V6 engines.

· Premium Member
7,168 Posts
The base Macan still has the dipstick tube as I heard. Other Macan models don't and it is impossible to use the oil extraction method, plus you still need to get down there to change the oil filter.

Reactions: Gachnar
1 - 20 of 32 Posts