Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an integrated dashcam that is to fit in front of the centre rear view mirror. I've been researching how to take apart the plastic cover and found someone that installed a radar detector mount with a similar part on a 911 on sixspeedonline forum. With emphasis that the original housing clips break easily :|

The instructions that come with the unit are pretty much useless since they are in Chinese only and talks mostly about the software app. Can someone tell me where those cable adaptors connect to before I start taking my interior apart? Any full proof way to remove the housing without breaking the clips?

I will likely install this next weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
I (actually my friend) hooked up a radar detector and removed those pieces. Yes, one of the tabs broke but only because he insisted on taking it down twice.

But I ordered an extra pair of them from Suncoast Porsche and replaced them. They only cost like five bucks, if that, for two. I bought four just in case.

There is a thread on that dashcam here from a guy in NY who just installed it. If you search dashcam, you will find it. And if you do break the. It's no big deal as you can't even see them from the inside, only if u stare from outside through the windshield.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just curious... What is this camera for?

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Sorry, just looked at your camera again. Are you worried about breaking the tabs on it? Because the pieces on the mirror now are replaced with the camera you have.

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Just curious... What is this camera for?

In Europe dashcams are very popular. They provide evidence in case you get into an accident that hopefully it's not your fault.

They automatically turn on when the car does, can record upwards of an hour, but do so in five or ten minute loops, constantly rerecording over the oldest loop. Should you get into an accident, the G force makes it automatically lock that portion of the video against erasure.

While this one shown here is probably the most stealth and cleanest install, it cost $250. I have one that cost 150, and even that's high.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks @MDJAK! Makes sense...

Reactions: MDJAK

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Want to keep the original plastics in case the dashcam resolution is not clear and want to go back.

·
Registered
168 Posts
@Bert - Please keep everyone posted this stealth idea is really cool. I was looking at ways to install a rear camera and have it hidden somewhere up near the spoiler by the third brake light. Do you know of anything exist for this?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Bert - Please keep everyone posted this stealth idea is really cool. I was looking at ways to install a rear camera and have it hidden somewhere up near the spoiler by the third brake light. Do you know of anything exist for this?
I am also looking for a similar rear dashcam to install, that is discreet.

Haven't come across anything with a wide viewing angle that can sit high. Had thought about using those rear view camera built into the license plate light but it sits too low. The Mobius action cam seems most promising at this point.

·
Registered
168 Posts
@Bert pictures of install & sample of your video.

What are some good choices for rear racing camera? Or interior camera when getting pulled over.. or for unattended security purposes?

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
My KDLinks cam can be easily swiveled to record an encounter with someone at a side window.

Other than Berts integrated dashcam, which is the best stealth install, take a look at Blackvue on Amazon. I think newest model is the 650, maybe 750. Nice cigar shaped front and rear cameras. The rear tucked up top of hatch glass is all but invisible.

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where did you purchase? Link please :)
Purchased the dashcam at the site below for around USD280. The website is the equivalent to eBay over here.

??? ?? macan panamera boxster ????? ???-??????

I am having it installed this weekend at a trusted garage, I don't have the proper prying tools and hate the idea of damaging the plastic. But it is very straight forward since it comes with a wiring harness.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for posting the link. Love to see any post installation pics. Looks really nice.
The dashcam was installed by my local garage in 30 minutes.

Accompanied software is easy to connect and records good quality picture.

The very stealth design doesn't get in the way of driving or make the cam standout.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts