Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I recently took delivery of my new Macan diesel and I love it but I am really struggling to get insurance and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. The reason that I'm struggling is because I'm 17 and only passed a couple of weeks ago so most companies wont even entertain the thought. I've tried putting my parents on the quote, tracker, adding their NCB on the car but after all of this I'm looking at well over £10k which is simply ridiculous! Please offer any advice that you can because the car has been sitting on the drive for the past 3 weeks and I'm now having to consider replacing it!
Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I sympathise with your (fairly extreme) 1st world problem... I have many of my own and no one seems to care.

My initial thought is: have you tried getting it insured under your parent's name as the main insurer with you added as a named driver? It may even help if you have the car registered in your parent's name too...

BTW - my first car at 17 was sharing a beat up Nissan Micra with my mum and my brother :)

Enjoy the Macan once you sort out the insurance...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sympathise with your (fairly extreme) 1st world problem... I have many of my own and no one seems to care.

My initial thought is: have you tried getting it insured under your parent's name as the main insurer with you added as a named driver? It may even help if you have the car registered in your parent's name too...

BTW - my first car at 17 was sharing a beat up Nissan Micra with my mum and my brother :)

Enjoy the Macan once you sort out the insurance...
I appreciate your response figlet108,

Yeah I've done that and I did put the car in my dads name also. I've tried putting my mum as the policy holder with my dad and myself as named drivers but I'm getting these sky high quotes!

See I bought the car as a result of a quote that I got at MoneySupermarket from a broker called Right Choice Insurance. I got the quote at £4k so I bought the car and then paid the insurance a couple weeks ago. Immediately after I paid, they called me and said that they were not going to honour this quote and they would charge me £15k instead if I wanted their policy.

I think the next step is to contact trading standards or the Ombudsman to see if they are actually allowed to do this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hmm... I'm not an expert but that doesn't seem right.

Assuming you get nowhere with Right Choice the other thought is to use a comparison site (compare the market or whatever) then pick the top 3 and call them up and chat with them about what you could do do reduce the price - e.g. install a GPS device that track your speed etc. You may even need to speak with their underwriters and negotiate with them.

Not sure what else to suggest...

·
Registered
636 Posts
I am also in the UK where whatever you do do not get your parents to insure the Macan and have you as a named driver, you would not be an occasional driver and hence the insurance would not actually be valid.

Police forces have been on crackdown of this since it is basically fraud.

In all honesty a 17 year old in the UK with a Porsche, you must be a very, very rare type of person in the UK to even try to get insurance when most 17 year olds have horrendous premiums for a Vauxhall Corsa.

Ring the insurance companies that use the driving monitor systems to see what they have to say, since at 17 with a Porsche you will certainly have to prove that you are not going to drive it on public roads like Lewis Hamilton would around SILVERSTONE.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There's a good reason why the insurance is so high. You're 17 so you will more than likely crash it, and more than likely cause way more than £15k worth of damage to yours and other people's property.
Get a car suitable for a new driver to learn about driving, i.e. A small hatchback with less than 70hp.
When you've got 7-8 years experience no are less likely to crash, buy a nicer faster car.
Until then accept that you're statistically a major risk, and therefore will have to pay high premiums.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think that each insurance is very important and if you have the occasion to have insurance don't lose it. Speaking seriously insurance can help you in many situations. You know one of my friends once had once an accident and he was really saved by his insurance company. He had to pay a lot of money to repair his car but the insurance did it. So now he will never change the Money Expert insurance company. I'm using their services too and I hope that I'll never need them. You can have a look too, maybe it will help you to find out more information and you will see how important is insurance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts