Porsche Macan Forum banner

If you were in the market for sporty crossover in 2022, which would you theoretically pick?

• 2021 Leftover Macan

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • 2022 Macan

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • 2022 Electric Macan

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Tesla Model Y Long Range

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Tesla Model Y Performance

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Super curious how the electric Macan will compare to the current-gen ICE Macan or even a Tesla Model Y!

I see the Macan is going to be refreshed for MY 22 and the ICE version will be sold alongside the electric version. However, I can't see how the electric Macan and the ICE Macan will share platforms, that would be quite a engineering marvel! My guess the ICE macan will sit on the current MLB platform but get a interior refresh and the electric Macan will ride on the new VW PPE platform until the ICE variant will be completely phased out.

From the PPE press releases: "developed jointly by Audi and Porsche for medium and large premium vehicles (like the Audi A4 through A8 and Q5 through Q8 or upcoming all-electric Porsche Macan)...What the MLB platform is to vehicles like the Audi A4 through A8 and Q5 through Q8, the Premium Platform Electric (PPE) architecture is to Audi’s electric portfolio."
  • 800 V battery architecture
  • up to 350 kW charging capability (depends on battery tech)
  • dual motor all-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive (PSM or ASM motors). (read i.e Permanent Magnet or Induction Magnet motors)
  • highly scalable architecture that allows for both low- and high-floor, from the medium-size class and up—SUVs, Sportbacks, Avants and crossovers
  • "Torque vectoring, air suspension and all-wheel steering will all be available"

My take, anything currently sitting on the MLB platform will be electrified through the PPE platform. Additionally, the electric Macan will offer rear steering for the first time!!1 Just like on the Taycan which sits on the J1 platform (shared with e-tron).

Will this feature be enough (decreased turning radius, steering response) to push ICE Macan buyers (and maybe Tesla) to the electric Macan? 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
103 Posts
i'm 100% in this group and hoping I can go the 2022 ICE Macan route, ideally with no updates to the interior. Looking to order in the next few months for Euro Delivery so obvs waiting to see if things clear up ...

I'm not opposed to an EV in general, but for our purposes this time - mostly highway road trips - an EV doesn't make much sense and the first models are always a little risky.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
i'm 100% in this group and hoping I can go the 2022 ICE Macan route, ideally with no updates to the interior. Looking to order in the next few months for Euro Delivery so obvs waiting to see if things clear up ...

I'm not opposed to an EV in general, but for our purposes this time - mostly highway road trips - an EV doesn't make much sense and the first models are always a little risky.
Somehow, when I look at your avatar, I can't picture you in an EV! :ROFLMAO: But we're of the same mind; if the Macan EV has decent range and performance we'll trade my wife's '15 S.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't like the refresh of the 2022 removing the buttons. The piano black touch screen console gets dirty and oily very fast. Just goes to show when something is at the top of its game, the only place it can go, is down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Agree with @Buster 100%. I'm 'only' 41 but really don't like using a touchscreen to operate a vehicle, especially things that should be one-touch like the aircon. I'd take a used 2020/21 Macan S, thanks. But no real need at the moment as my 2015 S is pretty much the same and costs me very little to run.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Until they get the mileage up on EV's, I will not be looking at them. I will say this latest rash of automotive EV bodies showing up across the industry are gorgeous. Does anyone remember which hybrid had batteries and a simple 3-cylinder engine? You did not plug it in. You only fueled the engine whose single responsibility it was to recharge the batteries as you drove.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Until they get the mileage up on EV's, I will not be looking at them. I will say this latest rash of automotive EV bodies showing up across the industry are gorgeous. Does anyone remember which hybrid had batteries and a simple 3-cylinder engine? You did not plug it in. You only fueled the engine whose single responsibility it was to recharge the batteries as you drove.
BMW i8 is a 3 cylinder?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Not only is electric the future, but Porsche knows how to do it right. The Taycan is fabulous. They're getting software kinks out with that now, as it's been only out a little over a year now, but by the time the Macan BEV is out for MY2023 (likely getting into new owners' hands late next year), it should be in pretty solid form. So it's a good thing that Porsche is doing the Taycan first, for those interested in the Macan BEV.

For those of you who are against getting a BEV in the next year or two and plan to buy a new car in that time period, I'll say this: (1) If you haven't driven a Taycan yet, go do a test drive in one; and (2) I haven't bought a BEV yet, but I won't choose not to buy one in a year or two because of range (most people buy BEVs for commuting and don't do much if any public charging -- charging at home and/or work only -- and many if not most BEV owners currently keep a second vehicle with an ICE in it for longer road trips).

Over on the Taycan forums, there are Taycan owners who say that they don't miss the 911s that they traded in for their Taycans or that the 911s sitting in their garage rarely get driven anymore because they love driving the Taycan so much more. BEVs are really fabulous cars for people who really enjoy driving and acceleration. I'll never again buy a car without a plug, for that reason (though I plan to keep at least one ICEV and/or one PHEV for long road trips).

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Reactions: aNonce

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's my list, I really like Porsche and I have my eye on a 21' Macan GTS (for road trips + something fun). However for a daily driver I would get a electric car and likely a Tesla (non-performance) though.... I expect range to be similar between the electric Macan and the Model Y.

Tesla:
Pros
  • The recharging network
  • OTA Updates
  • Car will improve over time
  • Autopilot
  • Good Handling
Cons
  • Not built to last (apart from the drivetrain)
  • Touchscreen ****?

Electric Porsche
Pros
  • Well Built
  • Excellent Handling
  • Lots-O-Buttons Heaven?
  • CarPlay
Cons
  • Stuck in the dealer system
  • Car will never get significant updates (read: the best it will be is when you first get it)
  • Electrify America is a joke

·
Registered
103 Posts
Cons
  • Stuck in the dealer system
  • Car will never get significant updates (read: the best it will be is when you first get it)
Not getting these two:
what does 'stuck in the dealer system' mean and how is that different for an EV than ICE?
No updates? Is that confirmed? Why wouldn't Porsche be, at a minimum, updating on same schedule a they do ICE?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just comparing Tesla to Porsche. ICE or Electric, Porsche won't significantly update the infotainment without you bringing the vehicle in to a dealer. That's seems to be the case with Taycan.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think the ICE Macan's up to and including the 2021's will be cherished like the Speedsters of the mid to late 50's. Well, maybe not as much,;) , but you get my point. There's nothing like the sound of a throaty exhaust. But to each their own. Kind of like picking your color and the various options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the ICE Macan's up to and including the 2021's will be cherished like the Speedsters of the mid to late 50's.
The ICE macan will be still kept around from what I have read. In what shape or form is still up in the air though I suspect that some of the ICE engine variants (3.0L, 2.9L) are on the chopping block though and possible hybridization is on the table. Just speculation on my end though.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I have multiple ICE vehicles so extended range for an EV is for all purposes a non factor on a daily driven vehicle for me. For the same reasons, I will rarely ever see a charging station. So unless some unforeseen thing happen, the EV Macan will be my next vehicle. Looking forward to a Porsche EV and the following features.

1. RAS - rear axle steering is one of the biggest improvements in fun factor for an suv. I have it on my 991.1 TTS and my Cayenne Turbo Coupe. I had a Cayenne GTS E2 before this E3 version and in comparison, RAS (w/air suspension) on the Cayenne totally transforms the Macan big brother's personality. Imagine what it could do if available on the EV Macan.

2. Instant torque in addition to huge power - no explanation needed here.

3. No oil to leak, no transfer case to replace, no engine to maintain, no PDK to fail, lower center of gravity.

4. The beautiful sound of the Macan sport exhaust has gone away and a thing of the past so more reason to get the Burmester to go with the more quiet interior.

Reactions: Zaptrax

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
None of the above because I have a 2021 Mercedes AMG E63s wagon on order. I just had to get one last V8 (603hp/627tq) before they stop making them...and that exhaust....... Also getting up there in age so time isn't on my side.

Since most manufacturers are adding EVs and/or completely converting to EV in a few years the recharging infrastructure across the country had better get built to handle the influx. Currently, with the few recharging locations the ways things are going so many EVs will be on the road and there will be a bottleneck at the recharge locations.

My bet is on hydrogen fuel. It just happens to be the most abundant element on earth, where as cobalt is extremely scarce and more expensive. There are a few vehicles already being tested plus there is a refueling system already developed and looks to be incorporated at existing gas stations. It takes about the same about of time to refuel with it as petrol.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
I have multiple ICE vehicles so extended range for an EV is for all purposes a non factor on a daily driven vehicle for me. For the same reasons, I will rarely ever see a charging station. So unless some unforeseen thing happen, the EV Macan will be my next vehicle. Looking forward to a Porsche EV and the following features.

1. RAS - rear axle steering is one of the biggest improvements in fun factor for an suv. I have it on my 991.1 TTS and my Cayenne Turbo Coupe. I had a Cayenne GTS E2 before this E3 version and in comparison, RAS (w/air suspension) on the Cayenne totally transforms the Macan big brother's personality. Imagine what it could do if available on the EV Macan.

2. Instant torque in addition to huge power - no explanation needed here.

3. No oil to leak, no transfer case to replace, no engine to maintain, no PDK to fail, lower center of gravity.

4. The beautiful sound of the Macan sport exhaust has gone away and a thing of the past so more reason to get the Burmester to go with the more quiet interior.
5. EV Macan will be a heavy pig. ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts