Porsche Macan Forum banner

With the ICE Macan being phased out in 2024 do you (when its time to replace your car)?

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've ridden in Teslas and driven a Model S. I agree that they lack soul. But I've also driven a bunch of Taycans (Turbo S, 4S, and RWD sedans; Cross Turismo 4), and they have tons of soul and are super-fun to drive. I absolutely agree that BEVs are not ready for long roadtrips because of the poor public-charging infrastructure, but hopefully in 3-4 years that will be largely changed. Meanwhile, the Taycan is absolutely a fabulous car to have for driving within 100-200 miles of home (assuming you can charge at home). I have never driven a more fun car than the Taycan -- the torque is fabulous -- and that includes driving a Ferrari with a V12 engine and dozens of different Porsches (and owning a few) over the years. The software still has some development to go, but the Taycan's 800-volt architecture is the best in the EV business for fastest charging, and Porsche is solving lots of problems that have arisen the first couple of years that it's been sold. I have great excitement for the forthcoming Macan BEV based on what I've seen in the Taycans, and I'm so ready to stop driving ICEVs ASAP, but I too do long cross-country road trips, so I'm stuck with ICEVs for another few years (frustratingly for me). Oh, how I wish that Porsche made a Macan E-Hybrid; I really don't like the larger, truck-like Cayenne E-Hybrid.

But the Taycan (and forthcoming Macan BEV) are true Porsches; they are drivers' cars, even more so than ICE Porsches are because they go faster more quickly; their steering feel and their stability at high speed is true Porsche. Who cares about sound? I sure don't; I prefer the much-quieter BEVs to ICEVs. If you've not driven a Taycan, you're not going to be an effective or authentic or serious commenter on the forthcoming Macan BEV, honestly.
A "driver's car" has little to do with acceleration in my opinion. A "driver's car" focuses on feel, handling, light weight, sound, & driver engagement (the driver's inputs are necessary - very few nannies). The exact opposite of the EV, even the Porsche. Not to say the Taycan is not awesome for what it is, but it is not a "driver's car".

Mr. Wolfe

·
Registered
169 Posts
A "driver's car" has little to do with acceleration in my opinion. A "driver's car" focuses on feel, handling, light weight, sound, & driver engagement (the driver's inputs are necessary - very few nannies). The exact opposite of the EV, even the Porsche. Not to say the Taycan is not awesome for what it is, but it is not a "driver's car".

Mr. Wolfe
My ideal car would be both of those. When I feel like driving, have it handle like a Porsche (or an Alfa for that matter) and when I feel like relaxing on a long boring stretch if highway, have the "nannies" kick in and keep the car safe and partly drive itself.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My ideal car would be both of those. When I feel like driving, have it handle like a Porsche (or an Alfa for that matter) and when I feel like relaxing on a long boring stretch if highway, have the "nannies" kick in and keep the car safe and partly drive itself.
Exactly, you don't want a "driver's car" for every day use. That's why they are weekend cars for most. Porsche, as a brand, probably marries those 2 traits better than any other car company. As far as EV's go, they are the exact opposite of a driver's car.

Mr. Wolfe

·
Registered
2022 Macan (on order)
196 Posts
I am guessing the EV Macan will start with MSRP around $10K (CAD) over the Audi e-tron. This mean paying $97K (CAD) to become a beta tester for a new platform, no thank you.

Reactions: TXRed

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I am in no hurry.

Tell you what, I will buy the new Macan EV replacement when Antarctica melts !

Then and only then will I place an order for the new Porsche Al Gore...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I plan to wait and see just what the EV Macan looks like and how it performs.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
It's not actually that bad. The motors are the main power eaters, if you get stuck with an EV, just running the heater, you'll be able to stay warm actually much longer than in a comparable petrol car.
I'm not buying that as a fact. Those folks out there in that 27 hour blizzard in Virginia on I-95 in EV's had to be in big trouble.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
So much dependent on how much charge or gas you had left when you were first stuck in the storm. A guy on you tube did a decent test with two Teslas so see how long the batter would last. If the car was held at 70F with a 90% charge, the battery lasted for days, similar to an ICE with close to a full tank. He said the biggest difference was if you ran out of batter or gas. An ICE is simply fixed with a jerry can, the electric needs to be towed.

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
What if there's an electric F-150 Lightning in front of the "electric" with the Intelligent Backup Power capability? ;)
Better save it for themselves lol

• Haha
Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I also ….. at the risk of being castigated ….. have little faith in the 2024 prediction by this Moto-rag.

But….we’ll see.

They indicate we’ll see a 2022 Electric Macan.

That happens my faith in their journalistic integrity will be bouyed.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts