Porsche Macan Forum banner

With the ICE Macan being phased out in 2024 do you (when its time to replace your car)?

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

· Registered
2,021 Posts
See my post… Number 478… In the “will EV Macan be a short-lived phenomenon” thread.

if I am not mistaken Porsche started announcing that the all electric Micon would be a 2022 model… Then pushed it to 2023… Then pushed it to 2024.

Others, more fluent in the topic, who will follow this may point out this is not accurate… I can’t guarantee that ideas… I just think I read it someplace.

· Administrator
11,972 Posts

· Administrator
11,972 Posts
wonde if this helps

LOL. post 77, you reacted to that article which I put up in post 76. That bodes poorly for them and it doesn't help that this new law they just passed means Porsche doesn't get the incentives. They don't build the cars in the USA.

· Registered
4,147 Posts
A years wait for an ICE GTS and now a delay on the EVs? No electric steering column adjustment, no Bose amps, and the hits just keep on coming. Like I said a year ago: gonna start looking like Cuba soon.

· Registered
731 Posts
100% EV’s is a pipe dream. Ca does not have the power grid to handle it throughout the summer months. Next people are going to have decode if they want Ac in their house in 100+ degree weather or charge their cars. Never going to happen, I see CA changing their minds once they see it is unsustainable long term. Why can’t CA separate from the US like Toronto wants to do from Canada.

· Registered
600 Posts
Next people are going to have decode if they want Ac in their house in 100+ degree weather or charge their cars. Never going to happen, I see CA changing their minds once they see it is unsustainable long term.
The house I'm living in at the moment is solar powered, with a 7kWh battery and exports 4 times the amount of power to the grid, as it uses to run all its equipment including air-con [which is the easy one really, since when you need it the sun is shining]. The system does not currently charge an EV as well but it's quite possible. The issue is not sustainability.

Expanding the grid is largely in the interests of power wholesalers and retailers. Expanding roof-top solar is in the interest of home consumers and surprisingly, it's cost effective.

Jules

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Don't like EV's. Wish the Macan had a stick.PDK is awesome ,but miss rowing my own gears.
A Cayman with a stick could do well.
EV Macan with artificial piped in ice 6 twin turbo exhaust sound is unfortunately on the horizon.

· Registered
212 Posts
A years wait for an ICE GTS and now a delay on the EVs? No electric steering column adjustment, no Bose amps, and the hits just keep on coming. Like I said a year ago: gonna start looking like Cuba soon.
I work with developers from Ukraine and they have no electricity 8AM-12PM and 8PM-12AM. I'm sure no electric steering column adjustment and no bose are not that big of a deal.

· Banned
192 Posts
Anybody believe Porsche . . . . who is burdened with a host of problems on the Taycan . . . to the point law firms have popped up doing nothing but pursuing owners dealing with all the 2021 and 2022 recalls.

Ranging from batteries, to software to flawed alignment of body panels . . .

I'm thinking that the Macan, which is the bread basket that feeds Porsche financially (look at sales of the Macan base as compared to ANY Porsche) is a risky place to experiment, particularly with formerly loyal owners having been put through some decidedly "non-Porsche" prevails in 2021 and 2022.

I'll bet they stretch the ICE Macan until 2025.

Just a guess. . . .

Guess what one of the most active topics is on the Taycan forum?

The development of the EV rolling computer will be similar to that of the personal computer. Porsche, like Macintosh, will develop one of the first decent systems with hard work way ahead of the time anyone thought they ever wanted a computer. In less than 2 decades smart consumers will all have an Apple iPhone in their pocket and a Mac at home and wonder why anyone would ever consider using a quaint abacus to calculate anything or a phone booth to call someone.

· Registered
285 Posts
100% EV’s is a pipe dream. Ca does not have the power grid to handle it throughout the summer months. Next people are going to have decode if they want Ac in their house in 100+ degree weather or charge their cars. Never going to happen, I see CA changing their minds once they see it is unsustainable long term. Why can’t CA separate from the US like Toronto wants to do from Canada.
Btw it’s Quebec who has a portion of people wanting to separate, not Toronto.

· Registered
2,021 Posts
100% EV’s is a pipe dream.
It's an absolute impossibility.

I've been building power lines (the big cross country high voltage that we place with helicopters) and power plants, mostly 500MW Combined Cycle units, for 57 years. I own an EV, just got an Audi eTron to see what it was all about.

There are 276,000,000 cars on the road. 2,000,000 of those are Electric.

On August 9th of this year Consolidated Edison bumped up dangerously near their PEAK capacity. That's not what they are wanting to sell. Think of having a bucket full of water, dumping it out, then trying to drink out of the bucket. There simply is no more. Had the temperature climbed one or two degrees neighborhoods would have been browned out.

Powerplants run about 12 years from conception to completion,. Power lines roughly 10. The one I am currently doing had its genesis, under the State of NY 70/30 Plan, in 2014. Our completion date is December 2023. We are working 7 days a week hoping to accelerate that and avoid a problem next summer that is not "probable" it is a certainty. The last job I did we worked Xmas and NY Eve and Xmas and NY day. You folks with those little white inductive transformers plugged in the walls are a fearful adversary but a reliable source of employment.

I expect to hear soon, there are 7 proposals still under consideration and 6 of them are ours, on what will be the largest construction project in the state of NY. I'll die before it's complete.

When we get all this done we'll be nowhere near ready to even double the current number of Electric Vehicles.

I am old enough to remember "conservation" and the taunting of friends warning me I was in a dead end profession. Who knew our contractor would be the 7th largest fleet in the United States. We're all trying to keep up.

I hope I am wrong. We are enjoying the EV we bought and I am very opened minded to new fuel sources. I am skeptic that wind and solar hold the answer.

Just thinking out loud. . . .

Just for entertainment . . .
Sikorsky s-64 skycrane Mountain Sky Cloud Helicopter

Fun stuff . . . not us in the photo, but it is the helicopter we use.
Motor vehicle Engineering Shoulder bag Machine Automotive design

Sky Helicopter Rotorcraft Aircraft Vehicle

· Registered
59 Posts
I have had a performance AWD Tesla since 2016. The motor blows away any gas motor I have had, as with single speed and instantaneous torque, the torque is there and RIGHT NOW. I get back in my gas cars and I'm thinking why all this noise and no action when I depress the throttle (I'm talking about AMG here, btw). Add separate motors to each wheels, and connected by electronics and not mechanical linkages, and the ability to affect handling or slippage make them incredible.

But, what Tesla lacks is the pride of ownership of settling into the interior, the great steering feel (but even that after hydraulic steering got eliminated in cars around 2012 is gone for many). Worse, is the range is only theoretical - get in the cold, hills, wind, etc and it goes down quickly. The charging network needs to be robust and much faster.

A 300 mile range Porsche EV has no interest to me. Even 400 range for me is iffy. (It's fine for local commuting of course and California weather, but as a mountain and ski car, I'd want 600 mile range. If an EV has to sit outside in 10 degree weather, its a real problem for the battery).

Electric motors though in general - yes please.

· Registered
16 Posts
No. ICE is dead. EV will bury any ICE car. There is no money in it. The EU just banned the sale of all ICE cars starting in 2035.

The hand writing is on the wall. There could be an EOL car like the 911 Speedsters but I wouldn't hold my breath when ICE is the past and EVs are the future for the German Automakers.
I would not be so sure. As we watch the mess that unreliables are making of energy grids, EV's may not be such a good bet...how do we charge an increasing EV fleet if we are having energy supply shortages ? Banning anything in the future can always be reversed when it is obvious it was not such a good idea. I'd wait a while and see where we are at in 2030. Here in Australia , our Government has made a totally unrealistic claim of how much unreliables will be powering our energy grid by 2030...it is a physical impossibility to accomplish but the politicians are not much good at maths.

· Registered
600 Posts
Here in Australia , our Government has made a totally unrealistic claim of how much unreliables will be powering our energy grid by 2030
Yes, and I'm in Aus. too where power is anticipated to go up by 50% in the next year. It's a tragedy that they've made such a mess of grid power but I've made the choice to put 9kW of panels on my roof and 7kWh of lithium battery in my garage. Net result, no power bills, feeding 4X what I use back into the grid, zero draw from the grid for 29 out of 30 days and paying off the capital cost is still way less than the cost of power from the grid. EVs will be an important, integrated part of the grid in the future, partly because it can be quite feasible to charge them at home from your own solar panels and partly because their large capacity can help buffer the home power system.

I suspect that when more people do the maths, there'll be a rush to generate and store power at home, decreasing our dependence on a poorly run, poorly managed grid system while allowing integration of EVs into the mix.

Jules

Reactions: roule
81 - 100 of 114 Posts