Porsche Macan Forum banner

With the ICE Macan being phased out in 2024 do you (when its time to replace your car)?

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
There will never be a EV in my garage, so for me that doesn’t come into play. I recently purchased a 2021 base Macan with all the features I wanted and expect it to become my long term vehicle.

Gas prices will not always be this high. They will come down when people recognize that elimination of fossil fuel and oil is not practically feasible. As we know the US is fully capable of being energy independent, not relying on others for our gas and oil needs. It’s just going to take some significant issues with EV (ships burning, catching on fire as you drive) to make people recognize that EV’s are not the solution in all cases. We are not Europe, our driving needs differ greatly. In the US we remain greatly divided on issue pertaining to our ecology. Europe appears to be lock step in buying into global warming, in the US not everyone is convinced. So EV’s saving the world is not a major theme in the US.

IMO, there still remain numerous issues to resolve until the EV becomes “practical” in the US, and they could take years to resolve. EV’s to me are a novelty, todays latest fad. They may one day become utilitarian…..or not.

I fully expect my 2021 base to retain value through the years due to it being an ICE vehicle with features no longer available in 2022 Macans. I expect older Macans will be in some demand for years to come.

And a final thought, the US does not have the power grid or electrical generating ability to support everyone driving EV’s and may never if the government continues to insist we go to solar, wind and other “non fossil fuel, non nuclear” sources to generate energy. And we may never get there.

· Registered
On order: macan S 2023, copper ruby metal, pp+, surround view, aluminum indoor finish, heated ws
239 Posts
I do nit think ice macan will go from NORTH AMERICA for along time.. maybe europe...we are not there yet and ice lobby qont let ir happen

· Premium Member
2022 GTS, Carmine Red, built 5/4/22, delivered 6/22/22
321 Posts
Hi all,
I’m wondering what folks here are thinking when it comes to buying a Macan this year. As we know the electric Macan will be announced this year, and just about every one out there will have an electric model in the Macan price range (60k-100k USD).
This on top of gas price uncertainty and likely a faster depreciation of price due to EVs phasing gas cars out likely in the next 5-10 years.
Frankly put: is it a stupid idea to buy a brand new gas powered Macan in the year 2022 for an every day driver?
We did not think it was a stupid idea for sure. We have an April build for a GTS:
-I am not the least bit interested in EV until charging stations become more prevalent at locations that will allow for convenient multi-day travel: gas stations, hotels, etc
-get the full charge time down to something reasonable (like 10 minutes for a full charge)
-at this time I just can't give up the wonderful exhaust sounds that so many ICE cars make (like the sport exhaust on a Macan)

We are purposely buying a 2022 GTS now to ensure we can get one before they are gone.

· Registered
2,746 Posts
I considered trading in my 2020 Macan GTS for a 2022 GTS earlier in the year (as my last Macan purchase since I'm not interested in the coming EV Macan), but the dealers in my area wanted $7,500 over MSRP once they could even get their hands on an allotment. Now with the recent burning of the Felicity Ace together with even more pending inflation pressure caused by Russia invading Ukraine, I will be passing on a MY2022 Macan since delivery would probably be close to when you can start ordering a MY2023.

So I've push back my purchase of a new Macan GTS, and will try again this Fall IF the MY2023 Macan GTS comes with PCM 6.0, at least a slight power bump (even better: "PP" pkg.), and the electrically adjustable steering column makes a return. If not, I will instead begin shopping for a MY2023 BMW M3 Comp xDrive. At the moment, I can't seem to get an MY2022 allotment for one of those either.

· Registered
2022 Macan
927 Posts
It will be interesting to watch the Macan EV rollout schedule. Will it be offered mainly for EU customers at first to meet EU regulations? possibly followed by select US markets with good charging infrastructure? etc.

· Registered
460 Posts
This suggests that the Macan BEV may come to America a year after it hits Europe, and that the ICEV Macan will continue to be sold for some years beside the Macan BEV in America:

· Registered
2,021 Posts
the ICEV Macan will continue to be sold for some years beside the Macan BEV in America:

I tend to fall in the "ICE ain't leaving so soon" camp. Although not a Luddite . . . VAG is in business to make money and if there is fuel available and a market for them . . . Porsche will make them.

· Administrator
11,972 Posts
This is directly related to this poll, the reasoning being what is PAG doing research in?

I'm sure anyone interested Porsche has heard you Race on Sunday and Sell on Monday. Porsche pulled out of Le Mans in prototypes around 2000, came in 2014, while Audi was dominating, then took over after a year or so and won until they pulled out and moved to Formula E, electric. They aint doing to well.

Entry into F1

Both of these VAG marques moving from Le Mans cars now to Formula 1. I find that surprising. THIS is a surprise, at least to me "combustion engines" :unsure:

Why? Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday.

"Why F1 and not a different motorsport class? Diess ... believes exposure has greatly increased in the United States while more and more people from Asia are watching F1."

Its all about selling

· Registered
2,021 Posts
Anybody believe Porsche . . . . who is burdened with a host of problems on the Taycan . . . to the point law firms have popped up doing nothing but pursuing owners dealing with all the 2021 and 2022 recalls.

Ranging from batteries, to software to flawed alignment of body panels . . .

I'm thinking that the Macan, which is the bread basket that feeds Porsche financially (look at sales of the Macan base as compared to ANY Porsche) is a risky place to experiment, particularly with formerly loyal owners having been put through some decidedly "non-Porsche" prevails in 2021 and 2022.

I'll bet they stretch the ICE Macan until 2025.

Just a guess. . . .

Guess what one of the most active topics is on the Taycan forum?

· Registered
4,147 Posts
Anybody believe Porsche . . . . who is burdened with a host of problems on the Taycan . . . to the point law firms have popped up doing nothing but pursuing owners dealing with all the 2021 and 2022 recalls.

I'm thinking that the Macan, which is the bread basket that feeds Porsche financially (look at sales of the Macan base as compared to ANY Porsche) is a risky place to experiment, particularly with formerly loyal owners having been put through some decidedly "non-Porsche" prevails in 2021 and 2022.

Just a guess. . . .

Hey Courtney... I have to agree with you. Porsche is having several issues, as others we know. VW is getting killed. I saw a piece saying they had ~20,000 workers employed at three factories in Russia. Raw materials are becoming an issue as are other components due to the market instability. As you suggest, ICE vehicles will be arounf for quite some time. Wasn't there a massive recall recently in China for most of Tesla's 3 series? It's a mess.

· Registered
460 Posts

Just a guess. . . .

I follow the Taycan forums, as a potential Taycan buyer. If you look at this webpage that you provided the URL to, you'll see that the only four most recent threads under "Porsche Taycan Problems and Reliability" have been added to since January, and a month since the second-most recent topic was added to. Most of the problems are indeed software-related, and many of the early software problems have been fixed by Porsche, as has the 12-volt battery problem. Most Taycan owners say that the driving dynamics and enjoyment far outweigh the software issues. Of more interest is a poll thread that I posted on the other Taycan Forum a month or two ago, in which I got 344 votes to my question "How long to you plan on keeping your Taycan?": 74, or 22%, said seven years or longer; another 209 (or 61% of voters) said 3-6 years. So the vast majority of Taycan owners are happy and satisfied. I'm not worried about the Macan BEV at all...

· Registered
2,021 Posts
Good to know. 9 recalls in a year, seemed like a lot to me and I’m not sure any are software related .,,. Although there are suits for “sudden loss of power”.
I’m betting the folks on the Taycan forum have a far better handle on this.

Attachments

· Banned
23 Posts
Well, I've got a 2021 with 6 years of warranty coverage...so at minimum I'm 2027 before I even begin to think about a new Porsche, I imagine the landscape will be different by then so it's hard to speculate now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2023 Macan GTS
15,272 Posts
more bad news for macan ev, no tax credit

I think that’s better. Let them buy from the heart just like any other car they buy. This way they can’t cry foul if it was incentivized and then they stuck with the car when it loses its luster.

· Registered
4,147 Posts
Thing there’ll be a special edition to end it?

61 - 80 of 114 Posts