Porsche Macan Forum banner

With the ICE Macan being phased out in 2024 do you (when its time to replace your car)?

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Turbo PSE|ACC|Escargot
229 Posts
“Hopefully won’t be a porker like it’s currently looking to be”

Ugh. Not attractive.

·
Registered
2022 Macan (on order)
196 Posts
Newest spy images. Seems to have a version of the Taycan interior. The exterior is obviously covered in fake cladding to try and hide what it will look like but I must say the overall form feels bloated (especially from the side). Hopefully won’t be a porker like it’s currently looking to be.

Not sure if I want them to keep the fake grille and exhaust tips or not. Not having those is one thing I hate about EVs yet, if they are fake...
I think the Macan EV will do very well initially in some markets, and poorly in others but one of the reasons I felt confident ordering 2022 vs. waiting is that I don't want to be a beta tester for Porsche.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not sure if I want them to keep the fake grille and exhaust tips or not. Not having those is one thing I hate about EVs yet, if they are fake...
I think the Macan EV will do very well initially in some markets, and poorly in others but one of the reasons I felt confident ordering 2022 vs. waiting is that I don't want to be a beta tester for Porsche.
Especially true if the Taycan battery rumours turn out to be factual

·
Registered
ordering a 2022 GTS
100 Posts
I voted to get the last ICE Macan (we just ordered a 2022 GTS this past weekend), before they are gone. EV, to me, is not ready for prime time yet, IMO Unless the sole use for the vehicle is local commuting.
-we regularly do long weekends to destinations 500-600 miles away. That is likely 3 charges for an EV. I don't want to have to track down a charging station at a Wal-Mart or other location (assuming there even is one near where we will be), to sit there for however long just to charge the batteries. Somewhere down the road when you can do a full charge in the time it takes to fill a fuel tank (10 minutes or so), AND charging is ubiquitous (especially at hotels), then maybe.
-I have always loved driving and a big part of it is the visceral sensations and feedback you get from the car: manual shifting of the transmission, the engine and exhaust sounds, etc. I am not interested in piped-in, electronic exhaust sounds.

We choose to be green and conservation-minded in numerous aspects of our life, but driving/vehicles just isn't one of them.

·
Registered
2022 Macan (on order)
196 Posts
I voted to get the last ICE Macan (we just ordered a 2022 GTS this past weekend), before they are gone. EV, to me, is not ready for prime time yet, IMO Unless the sole use for the vehicle is local commuting.
Agreed! I also ordered a new Macan now because I realized I am not ready to drive an iPad with wheels just yet, and this is the right time to do it while they are still available.

Reactions: Mii

·
Registered
169 Posts
Agreed! I also ordered a new Macan now because I realized I am not ready to drive an iPad with wheels just yet, and this is the right time to do it while they are still available.
Same here. I learned this the hard way, I've been driving a Tesla for 2 years while it has its upsides, as mentioned it really is only good for city driving. While comfortable on the highways, there's just too much time wasted on long roadtrips and with the current charging infrastructure, there are quite a lot of destinations out of reach (we go skiing a lot and we love mountain roads). Also, ipad on wheels sounds about right... acceleration is crazy even for older models, but it lacks ...soul.

Counting the days until the Macan arrives.

·
Registered
374 Posts
At the point when Porsche, Audi and a few other VW models are all sharing exactly the same platform, EV motor system and pretty much everything except cosmetic differences, I'll be heading off for something distinctive and different.

Porsche is starting to feel a bit too corporate, profit first, customer focus somewhere down the list these days.

·
Registered
169 Posts
At the point when Porsche, Aldi and a few other VW models are all sharing exactly the same platform, EV motor system and pretty much everything except cosmetic differences, I'll be heading off for something distinctive and different.
Assuming you mean Audi, this is already the case with the current cars. It's the same as comparing the Macan to a Q5. Same platform but significant differences, not just cosmetic. I'd expect the same to be true for the upcoming Macan EV too...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Assuming you mean Audi, this is already the case with the current cars. It's the same as comparing the Macan to a Q5. Same platform but significant differences, not just cosmetic. I'd expect the same to be true for the upcoming Macan EV too...
Oops yes, almost Freudian slip, Audi not Aldi but I hope you're right on the differences. For me, the lack of a true Porsche engine is a key factor now, though for EVs it won't matter if it's Porsche or Audi, it's just an electric motor.

I'd like to see a true off -road Porsche EV. That could tackle the soulless issue but of course it's not going to happen. The prototype is there to see, now.

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
349 Posts
Oops yes, almost Freudian slip, Audi not Aldi but I hope you're right on the differences.
I'd like to see a true off -road Porsche EV. That could tackle the soulless issue but of course it's not going to happen. The prototype is there to see, now.
What do you mean by “ true off-road “ as in a Landcruiser style vehicle?

·
Registered
374 Posts
What do you mean by “ true off-road “ as in a Landcruiser style vehicle?
I'd like to see something at about classic Landrover size/weight with separate electric motors for front and back and a good whack of power. The landrover, classic Jeep and even the Mercedes G class are plain simple boxes but still have amazing appeal. Porsche have built their name on clean uncluttered design, certainly with their 356 - 911 and onwards design.

I would guess that most people would prefer something closer to Landcruiser though. What do you think?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'd like to see something at about classic Landrover size/weight with separate electric motors for front and back and a good whack of power. The landrover, classic Jeep and even the Mercedes G class are plain simple boxes but still have amazing appeal. Porsche have built their name on clean uncluttered design, certainly with their 356 - 911 and onwards design.

I would guess that most people would prefer something closer to Landcruiser though. What do you think?
I do a lot of remote touring / 4wding and any of these style of vehicles are simply not fit for purpose. Landrover used to make 4wds but the product they put out these days is a joke and little more than a marketing exercise selling the dream to people who never leave the blacktop.
EV’s in their current form are of no use as a 4WD with such a limited range which should be even further reduced when doing low range over landing in the deserts etc.

The Ineos is shaping up to be modern proper 4WD, will be interesting to see how it goes.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I do a lot of remote touring / 4wding and any of these style of vehicles are simply not fit for purpose. Landrover used to make 4wds but the product they put out these days is a joke and little more than a marketing exercise selling the dream to people who never leave the blacktop.
EV’s in their current form are of no use as a 4WD with such a limited range which should be even further reduced when doing low range over landing in the deserts etc.

The Ineos is shaping up to be modern proper 4WD, will be interesting to see how it goes.
Yes, the Ineos will be very interesting.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’ll hang on to the Macan as long as it is economical to keep it running (repair-wise). When we replace our other car however in 2-3 years, I’m pretty sure it will be an EV. I was ready to pull the trigger last month before I stumbled onto a great deal on the Macan. Not interested in the politics for or against EVs. I love the torque and the batteries are getting pretty good. It would be a fun commuter.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Same here. I learned this the hard way, I've been driving a Tesla for 2 years while it has its upsides, as mentioned it really is only good for city driving. While comfortable on the highways, there's just too much time wasted on long roadtrips and with the current charging infrastructure, there are quite a lot of destinations out of reach (we go skiing a lot and we love mountain roads). Also, ipad on wheels sounds about right... acceleration is crazy even for older models, but it lacks ...soul.
I've ridden in Teslas and driven a Model S. I agree that they lack soul. But I've also driven a bunch of Taycans (Turbo S, 4S, and RWD sedans; Cross Turismo 4), and they have tons of soul and are super-fun to drive. I absolutely agree that BEVs are not ready for long roadtrips because of the poor public-charging infrastructure, but hopefully in 3-4 years that will be largely changed. Meanwhile, the Taycan is absolutely a fabulous car to have for driving within 100-200 miles of home (assuming you can charge at home). I have never driven a more fun car than the Taycan -- the torque is fabulous -- and that includes driving a Ferrari with a V12 engine and dozens of different Porsches (and owning a few) over the years. The software still has some development to go, but the Taycan's 800-volt architecture is the best in the EV business for fastest charging, and Porsche is solving lots of problems that have arisen the first couple of years that it's been sold. I have great excitement for the forthcoming Macan BEV based on what I've seen in the Taycans, and I'm so ready to stop driving ICEVs ASAP, but I too do long cross-country road trips, so I'm stuck with ICEVs for another few years (frustratingly for me). Oh, how I wish that Porsche made a Macan E-Hybrid; I really don't like the larger, truck-like Cayenne E-Hybrid.

But the Taycan (and forthcoming Macan BEV) are true Porsches; they are drivers' cars, even more so than ICE Porsches are because they go faster more quickly; their steering feel and their stability at high speed is true Porsche. Who cares about sound? I sure don't; I prefer the much-quieter BEVs to ICEVs. If you've not driven a Taycan, you're not going to be an effective or authentic or serious commenter on the forthcoming Macan BEV, honestly.

·
Premium Member
7,138 Posts
I am waiting for the new EV Macan @$70k. :D

Reactions: NETX

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife has a Macan GTS and I just recently switched from an M3 F80 to a VW ID.4. I could have done it with a Tesla earlier but I just could not deal with Tesla's interior function and overall design. With the ID.4, I was able to picture the transition and glad I did, it just makes all sense. It's not 100% perfect, it has its gremlins in the software department but overall its been great so far. I mean where else can you get massaging front seats in a $40k vehicle and out accelerate most ICE cars on the road, lol.
I was one of the guys who was solid ICE only fan but now I get it with the ID.4 and within the same family tree, I'm crossing my fingers that Porsche can only be way better.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My wife has a Macan GTS and I just recently switched from an M3 F80 to a VW ID.4. I could have done it with a Tesla earlier but I just could not deal with Tesla's interior function and overall design. With the ID.4, I was able to picture the transition and glad I did, it just makes all sense. It's not 100% perfect, it has its gremlins in the software department but overall its been great so far. I mean where else can you get massaging front seats in a $40k vehicle and out accelerate most ICE cars on the road, lol.
I was one of the guys who was solid ICE only fan but now I get it with the ID.4 and within the same family tree, I'm crossing my fingers that Porsche can only be way better.
I had an ID.4 reserved when I bought the Macan (cancelled the res.). I wasn’t able to test drive it but I liked the specs and the free charging at Electrify America stations. I test drove the Mustang and it drove well but I’ve had much better luck with VWs than Fords over the years. Good luck with it.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts