Porsche Macan Forum banner

With the ICE Macan being phased out in 2024 do you (when its time to replace your car)?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wow that is a really nice bonus.

For my 22 which I already put a deposit on, I'm leaning towards purchasing the PAWE only and not the PSMP.
I wouldn't have bought the PSMP, it's no cheaper really...but free was free. The PAWE makes sense if you want to keep the vehicle longer, given the cost of a major issue like those in the past (transfer cases, timing cover leak, etc.) it would just take one to make it worth while.

·
Super Moderator
10,463 Posts
Yes, but that's only new vehicle production, no? I was referring to deterring folks from using the old ones by taxing the fuel through the roof such that they become parade vehicles at best. Take a limited gasoline production USA, add an insane CA gas tax... You get the picture.
I see, well, there are almost 15M registered cars in CA and 425K registered EVs. Links to these numbers can be found in this thread

They can do a sin tax, just like on cigarettes or alcohol so your right. Then again, it would be a law. So its your choice. Remove the local politicians who would enact such legislature or doesn't CA to "propositions"? Let the people decide.

Its your choice. Lets see about .03% of registered cars are EVs. It would seem you might have an advantage there since there are still over 14,500,000 ICE cars.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Turbo PSE|ACC|Escargot
200 Posts
I see, well, there are almost 15M registered cars in CA and 425K registered EVs.
Yes, and that will drive the left-slammed CA legislature crazy if those ICEmobiles don't dwindle away fast enough. I suspect an ever increasing gas tax will be irresistible to the Prop. 13 cash-starved CA legislature. We can't even get rid of the SF D.A. who refuses to enforce the law putting the citizenry in mortal danger so fixing the CA legislature is a pipe dream at best. But, I'll never leave.

May need to add a "coal roller" to the stable in protest however... 🤪

Tire Wheel Plant Vertebrate Vehicle

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'll hang on to my Macan and look after it carefully for many years but I have to admit that current cars have lost a lot of the animal roar and snort that gave them so much of their appeal in years gone by.

Look in the engine bay, what do you see? A lump of plastic.

Sit in the car and what do you feel? Silky smooth, clinically delivered power.

Remove the engine at home to change the clutch? ha ha ha, no, but it was an easy day's work in a 356 series.

An EV will do away with the horrors of TC leaks etc and should be more reliable plus it has the potential, with multiple electric motors, to create superior power distribution to all 4 wheels. Lower unsprung weight? True off-road vehicle? [unlikely :) though possible]

There's light years between a carby fed engine and today's tech. ICE marvels but there's a much smaller step between today's tech ICE marvels and an EV.

Certainly with another ten years development I reckon EVs will be the way to go.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I can't see throwing a hundred plus years of the ICE down the drain for what is political purposes. This is plain dumb. But, here we are and many on this forum are all for this. Not me.
And why not? I'm reminded of more than a hundred plus years of film photography replaced by digital photography just in our generation alone. It's progress.

Reactions: Beardy

·
Super Moderator
10,463 Posts
And why not? I'm reminded of more than a hundred plus years of film photography replaced by digital photography just in our generation alone. It's progress.
Kodak blew that. That was a lost opportunity cause by disruptive technology, a completely new technology, never seen before, pushed by small companies while Kodak slept. They could have owned digital photography but couldn't see what was happening. Electric cars are not disruptive, they have been around since the dawn of cars. By 1900 a third of cars in NYC were electric. The Model T, cheap, far cheaper, did them in. Gas was cheap. That ended it. Gas won.

To be fair, digital photographs was brand new tech and was progress. Your right. But EV are very old, lost the race to be the better tech around 1920s or so, and car customers might just not embrace them to any significant degree in the free marketplace. The really need to get EVs down in price to the low $20K range to gain significant inroads. They cost way too much. And, their is the sunk cost of getting electric installed, buy equipment, permits, etc. Its cost more money.

If it makes inroads, it will not be for political reasons. It will be because customers perceive this "old" technology, is now better AND cheaper than gasoline and change their view from the 1920s.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Kodak blew that. That was a lost opportunity cause by disruptive technology, a completely new technology, never seen before, pushed by small companies while Kodak slept. They could have owned digital photography but couldn't see what was happening. Electric cars are not disruptive, they have been around since the dawn of cars. By 1900 a third of cars in NYC were electric. The Model T, cheap, far cheaper, did them in. Gas was cheap. That ended it. Gas won.

In fact Harvard explains why in this article. To be fair, digital photographs was brand new tech and was progress. Your right. But EV are very old, lost the race to be the better tech around 1920s or so, and car customers might just not embrace them to any significant degree in the free marketplace. The really need to get EVs down in price to the low $20K range to gain significant inroads. They cost way too much. And, their is the sunk cost of getting electric installed, buy equipment, permits, etc. Its cost more money.

If it makes inroads, it will not be for political reasons. It will be because customers perceive this "old" technology, is now better AND cheaper than gasoline and change their view from the 1920s.
Are we really comparing the EVs of 1900's to today's tech-laden EVs driven by software/battery techologies? The only similarity I could see are the 4 wheels. Period.

·
Super Moderator
10,463 Posts
Are we really comparing the EVs of 1900's to today's tech-laden EVs driven by software/battery techologies? The only similarity I could see are the 4 wheels. Period.
Batteries … batteries … 100 miles range, not bad for 100 years ago.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Batteries … batteries … 100 miles range, not bad for 100 years ago.

Those 100 miles range from 100 years ago would last 10 miles driven today :)

Reactions: grim

·
Registered
247 Posts
Jaguar made a similar announcement saying they won’t make ICE cars after 2024. I don’t believe it.

the way I see it, only the rich will be able to afford electric cars. I looked at used Tesla cars in autotrader and over 1K of them were for sale, they buy them like iPhones, only nobody wants the older models. So where will these Used Tesla’s go?

I heard the Taliban wants to give Korea the exclusive to Lithium in Afghanistan. But you still need Cobalt which I hear the Chinese have the exclusive on in the Congo. Plus you need semi conductors and rare earth minerals as well.

the environmental impact of EV cars is so high, in terms of mining the minerals and metals needed to produce one. And the electricity needed to charge them.

I think these announcements lean on the insane side and are designed for some sort of gain or favor, a well we tried our best, but it will happen soon.

2030 at least

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Turbo PSE|ACC|Escargot
200 Posts
But you still need Cobalt which I hear the Chinese have the exclusive on in the Congo.
Not for long, First Cobalt Corp. - Home...

First Cobalt (TSX-V:FCC; OTCQX:FTSSF) is a North American battery materials company with leading ESG credentials that is currently expanding and recommissioning North America’s only permitted refinery capable of producing battery grade cobalt.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Jaguar made a similar announcement saying they won’t make ICE cars after 2024. I don’t believe it.

I seem to recall some “starting in 2022 all Macan will be EV” posts about the time I bought my 2019.

I didn’t believe it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well, I was hoping for the Macan E-Hybrid that apparently will never come to pass. I bought a 2018 Panamera E-Hybrid over 3 years ago, and love the technology in it. We got the 2021 RAV4 Prime (PHEV) for my wife this past year, and it's an excellent vehicle with 50 miles of all-electric range in warm weather (and all our driving most days in all-electric), but we don't have to worry about charging when we go out of town on longer road trips (which is roughly once a month). I'm surprised that the RAV4 Prime is more fun to drive around town (i.e., 0-40 mph) than is the Macan; in fact, when my wife isn't using it and I need to do errands within 10-15 miles of home, I often find myself choosing the RAV4 Prime over my Macan (yes, the Panamera is now gone). (But the RAV4 Prime isn't very fun to drive with its ICE on -- that's only with it in all-electric mode, where you get that instant torque from stop.)

I've been tentatively planning to special-order a Cayenne E-Hybrid (with its newly increased 18-kWh battery pack) to replace my 2019 Macan when the warranty expires, as my current Macan will be the last vehicle that I ever buy without a plug (EVs are so much more fun to drive, and it's really hard to beat the avoidance of gas stations by having a full charge every morning in our garage). I'm planning to get either the Cross Turismo or the Macan BEV at the end of my future Cayenne E-Hybrid's warranty period, and I'm expecting that I'll keep that vehicle indefinitely (not having to worry about all the issues that plague ICEVs); by that time, in 4-5 years from now, I'm expecting the public-charging infrastructure across the US and Canada to be much more robust (and hopefully the driving range will be significantly higher than the current real-world 250 miles or so for the Taycan).

So I wasn't able to answer the poll atop this thread because my answer isn't in the list there (i.e., buy another E-Hybrid before going full BEV, with the Macan BEV not being in first place in that category for me yet). I would not get a non-Porsche PHEV, personally, but there are so many good BEVs coming out now and in the next few years that Porsche BEVs are not a clinch for me ... though the Cross Turismo is far-and-away the best BEV currently on the market to my eye -- leading me to have high hopes for the forthcoming Macan BEV.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts